TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:40:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport at City Varieties. Salut review  (Read 5099 times)
colinrandall

« on: February 21, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »

Some fellow-subscribers have encouraged me in the past to post links here if I review Fairport gigs etc. I made the City Varieties last night and loved just about every moment. Would even have bought By Popular Request had the impossibility of paying by card for parking or the meal next door in the White Swan not wiped out all but a few coins of the cash I was carrying ...

Since I express mild reservations about Simon's Who Knows, I'd be v interested in the views of others ...  

http://www.salutlive.com/2013/02/fairprot-convention-theyre-old-enough-they-know-better.html

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 03:20:08 PM »

Nice review. While I can't comment on last night's version of Who Knows, I can tell you that I like the way the current band performs it-different arrangement, always done with respect and as tribute. I also appreciate that the band take it seriously...certainly isn't any laughing or joking around during the song.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 05:53:26 PM »

Some fellow-subscribers have encouraged me in the past to post links here if I review Fairport gigs etc. I made the City Varieties last night and loved just about every moment. Would even have bought By Popular Request had the impossibility of paying by card for parking or the meal next door in the White Swan not wiped out all but a few coins of the cash I was carrying ...

Since I express mild reservations about Simon's Who Knows, I'd be v interested in the views of others ...  

http://www.salutlive.com/2013/02/fairprot-convention-theyre-old-enough-they-know-better.html

Colin, up until this winter tour, De Mont Hall, I would have agreed with you about Simon singing WKWTTG and i would have included Fotheringay. I always felt these songs had a female sensibility and needed a female voice.
However, as I said in my review of the De Mont gig, I thought Simon really nailed both songs, on the night he made them his........ first time I've felt that and in a sad old fan way, cos he was standing next to me at the bar in the interval, I told him so. Pretentious moi?
Jean L-D
n3wb

Loc: Hyde, Cheshire

I AM calm - until the computer won't work!

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 06:51:28 PM »

I dunno about other Fairport fans, but I absolutely LOVE the way Simon does Who Knows Where the Time Goes.  I may be among a small minority here, but I also think his version of Fotheringay is on a level with Sandy's! I just love Fairport - they can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned!   Cheesy

We all come from the same place and we all go back to the same place. Why can't we all live in THIS place in peace?
colinrandall

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 08:39:23 PM »

Oddly enough, I was worried about Fotheringay but loved it, which led me to hope for more with WKWTTG. I think I made it clear that I found the latter perfectly respectful. In time, I may share the enthusiasm of others for the different treatment.
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 08:01:15 AM »

I was at the Leeds gig and must agree that i thought WKWTTG was a bit flat but I wonder if it was emotions that affected Simons signing that night given the introductory remarks about "lost friends" from Masham.Normally I love Simons version.
However that would be the only "criticism" about the night.Like others have said aboutthis tour Fairport are so tight and together as a band that this is the best non-Cropredy performance I can remember for years. Made me regret being at a seated gig but glad that the seat next to me was empty to allow my out of time foot tapping and tuneless hum to not annoy too many! Agree with your comments about the age of audience buti guess we have to admit that we are the"arthritic hip" and that young people (although there were some there)will be a minority
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 12:13:15 PM »

Wasn't at Leeds but was at New Brighton earlier and like most have seen the current line up more times than I can count. Sadly never saw them with Sandy, first time was 76 I think, but it is only in the last 10-12 years that Fairport really got me. I love the originals but really, really cannot fault Simon's treatment of either song.  We met a couple at New Brighton who'd never seen Fairport, and only knew WKWTTG from Unhalfbricking. Their view was he nailed it.

I think I prefer the original of both, but only just. To be honest I prefer Simon singing either to bringing on a guest female vocalist which has happened a few times, I think I feel that with Simon it stays in the 'family' and carries more sensitivity and meaning.

and the stars look very different today
colinrandall

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 01:57:06 PM »

I was at the Leeds gig ... Agree with your comments about the age of audience buti guess we have to admit that we are the"arthritic hip" and that young people (although there were some there)will be a minority

My description, necessarily, had elements of self-portrait ....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: