TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:32:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy Headline Friday  (Read 102838 times)
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2006, 03:54:41 PM »

they could book steps and we'd still all be there.

OH YEAH!!!!!

My daughter would be happy to come then

Steps had some cracking songs, I would be MUCH happier with Steps.

Happy mainly.
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2006, 04:22:36 PM »

And Mrs Skirky has taught me all about the circle of concern/circle of influence, so you'll not catch me whingeing about stuff I can't influence.

That is indeed good news.

So you won't mind if all 1500 board members take you up on your offer of free beer and intercourse then?
So, it's back to our tent for beer and social intercourse, then?

Wink

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #162 on: March 28, 2006, 04:33:37 PM »

they could book steps and we'd still all be there.

OH YEAH!!!!!

My daughter would be happy to come then

Steps had some cracking songs, I would be MUCH happier with Steps.

Nicer to look at as well  Grin Wink

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
hmulley
Treading Lightly

« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2006, 04:34:04 PM »

So you won't mind if all 1500 board members take you up on your offer of free beer and intercourse then?

First come, first served.

As it were.

Shocked

BigLove
Hx

I am not a *sausage*. I have a *face*.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2006, 06:11:44 PM »

i midht well break the habit of the last 9 years of not going to cropredy now  Shocked Fez

The Dude abides
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #165 on: March 28, 2006, 06:15:40 PM »

Ohh... goody.. we'll get to meet you then at last Jimbo Grin Wink

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #166 on: March 28, 2006, 06:20:38 PM »

i midht well break the habit of the last 9 years of not going to cropredy now  Shocked Fez

...there's no Old Trafford test match that weekend, is there....? Roll Eyes  Fez

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Taliesin

Loc: Burton-Upon-Trent

Druid of Bass, with a Folk, blues & Metal leant.

« Reply #167 on: March 28, 2006, 07:53:49 PM »

Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel..............................come up and see me , make me smile .............

Cheers Nigel

We do a version of that song... well we probably cremate it, but just thought I'd put my tanner in Grin

The Dragons stir below for the old Gods awaken from their long slumber

http://www.freewebs.com/branstones/
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #168 on: March 28, 2006, 09:52:52 PM »

A-hem - 10cc last time I saw them was at Cardiff Castle with Steeleye Span ,Man -and Budgie .Mid seventies if not mistaken .  Tipped it down with rain that day. It would be nice to see them again but -----I`m Not In Love -- Roll Eyes Wink--with them .Now Budgie  or Man at Croppers  ? That would turn a few heads .  Fez
Pastie Boy- it was 1975; I still remember the rain which soaked everyone and everything. Thin Lizzy also played with a very alive, then, Phill Lynott. Steeleye were great and so were 10cc. Not sure how I feel about seeing them now, though, especially if they are little more than a tribute band
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #169 on: March 28, 2006, 10:09:28 PM »

Now Budgie  or Man at Croppers  ? That would turn a few heads .  Fez

Man played a few years back - I don't think they won many fans that day. My selection for worst ever band to grace the field.

Jackdaw
Jackdaw, that's a bit unfair. I was at Cropredy that year they played- 1994. They weren't that bad, although I agree they didn't go down well. I think it is just their hard psychedelic rock, doesn't really go down well in the middle of an afternoon at a mainly folk festival. Growing up in the South Wales valleys, I have seen Man more times than even Fairport. I have to say their early 70's heydey, when they toured America, supporting certain big West Coast bands are long behind them now. They still exist but with only one member of the 70's band, and even include 2 youngsters who are the sons of the original members!  Their gigs are comparitvly rare now, and tend to be in the back rooms of London pubs, as well as in their South Wales hometowns. They have certain things in common with Fairport- both were formed in the late 60's; both have seen innumerable personnel changes and tragedies; both still play original mateiral, both have had individual members achieve fame in their own right, (Fairport's Richard Thompson and Man's Terry Williams, who became Dire Straits drummer). Difference is that Fairport still sell out venues, still produce good albums and have their own popular festival, Man have been known to play to a few dozen people in a Wathamstow pub.  Ah, the ways of the world....(and no disrespect to Walthamstow pubs).
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #170 on: March 28, 2006, 11:26:26 PM »

10CC set a new standard for wit in lyrics in the 70s.  If they get the sound right and you can hear the lyrics you'll have anything from a wry smile to a guffaw.

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #171 on: March 29, 2006, 09:02:11 AM »

I've jumped in at the end of this & as usual haven't read all the posts - but I'd like a bit of upbeat  folk to finish off Friday. It's the middle night and usually goes on late after the music finishes ( at least we do !! ) - so something to help keep us awake. peatbog faeries a definite yes - as also Shooglennifty. The reformed Planxty did a great tour last year - although they are all getting on a bit so might not be able to stay awake . John Otway ?? - no not really - then nobody would get any sleep.

And while I'm here - I've done only 5 Cropredies and spread out over 12 years - for a variety of reasons it hasn't been possible to do every year - I usually come across with my brother - so we don't really get to know people when we do come across from N.Ireland. two friendly guys - like real ale & all the usual festival goings on. It would be good to get to know a few of you beforehand so we could say hello at the bar. cead mille failte, green ink  and all that..

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2006, 09:31:19 AM »

Hi Greglin... just look for anyone wearing a fez or a tiara.. at the bar...  and introduce yourself...  where are you from??

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2006, 12:33:18 PM »

Just caught up on the 10cc news after getting back from two weeks in Lanzarote, and I think they'll make a cracking headline act on Friday.  I agree with Mark that the entire show could turn into a mass karaoke sing-a-long as 10cc have a lot of hit singles to their name, and we're all likely to know a few of them (at least).  I'm really looking forward to seeing 10cc live again, whatever the line-up is these days.

I wonder if they'll do "The Second Sitting for the Last Supper"?  One of my favourites.  Fez

Cheers
Dunc

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #174 on: March 29, 2006, 01:08:16 PM »

A-hem - 10cc last time I saw them was at Cardiff Castle with Steeleye Span ,Man -and Budgie .Mid seventies if not mistaken .  Tipped it down with rain that day. It would be nice to see them again but -----I`m Not In Love -- Roll Eyes Wink--with them .Now Budgie  or Man at Croppers  ? That would turn a few heads .  Fez
Pastie Boy- it was 1975; I still remember the rain which soaked everyone and everything. Thin Lizzy also played with a very alive, then, Phill Lynott. Steeleye were great and so were 10cc. Not sure how I feel about seeing them now, though, especially if they are little more than a tribute band

I was there! A student in Cardiff at the time.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #175 on: March 29, 2006, 01:55:54 PM »

On the subject of 10Cc and Graham Gouldman.. Didn't i read somewhere that he wrote for your love for the Yardbirds- no milk today for Hermans hermits and Bus stop for the hollies?

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #176 on: March 29, 2006, 01:59:40 PM »

Better get my best karaoki vocal chords in trim then.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #177 on: March 29, 2006, 02:32:37 PM »

On the subject of 10Cc and Graham Gouldman.. Didn't i read somewhere that he wrote for your love for the Yardbirds- no milk today for Hermans hermits and Bus stop for the hollies?

Nuff said Grin
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #178 on: March 29, 2006, 02:45:32 PM »

I was there! A student in Cardiff at the time.
I only went because of the greatest rock band ever-- BUDGIE--- were playing there.I still love them. It was a long way in a Voxy Viva HA. I`m still drying out  . Grin

You are what you eat !!!
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #179 on: March 29, 2006, 03:22:04 PM »

Hi all - what a great sociable lot you are !! Thanks for your messages.

We're from Dungannon in the proud county of Tyrone in N.Ireland, although now living close to belfast. Dungannon is famous for the O'Neills, who gave the English a hard time in 1553 or thereabouts - they cut off the head of the Earl of Essex, but we have apologised, and they won't do it again. Also famous as the birthplace of Barry Devlin who was the bass player with Horslips !! No need to apologise for that. ( Wonder iof they would reform for the Friday night headlining slot?? ).

We shall post a photo & some personal details when I can figure out how it works..................................

Anyway - we hope to make some new friends before August - and to be duly present at the bar by mid-afternoon on the Thursday.

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: