TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:45:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2011 - Reviews  (Read 97186 times)
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2011, 04:44:44 PM »

Why stop at BL? Why not Matty the Opera... mind Simon would have to put on a few pounds...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2011, 09:46:37 AM »

Not much to add to the previous reviews in terms of the Colchester date, aside from that Chris Leslie does an absolute tour de force of a Swarb impersonation in terms of vocals for BL and from a brief interval conversation it is clear that Peggy is really enjoying doing the whole thing, and was fulsome in his praise for Gerry’s similarly diligent work on the DM drum parts. I suspect we got a slightly curtailed show due to the venue’s curfew and so I was unable to make any judgement on the enduring stageworthiness of Ukulele Central, but Ric’s faux-bass work was certainly impressive enough to free up Peggy for a number of mandolin-based songs which made an interesting diversion. Pleased to hear a whole raft of things from the new album and Reg wil be pleased to hear that, of the new material Celtic Moon certainly got the most rousing and fulsome response. I did see Jamie Roberts at the bar but unfortunately wasn’t quick enough to crush his over-talented fresh young hands with my £3.25 can of IPA, so it looks like they’ll be able to carry on absolutely wowing the audience for the remainder of the tour. They're a definite you must get there on time support act!

ps It was odd to hear in conversation, especially given Simon's acknowledgement of something like their 27th consecutive Winter Tour, that a friend was a "big fan of Fairport Convention" but had "...kind of lost interest when Sandy Denny left".  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:57:19 AM by skirky (Shane) » Logged

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2011, 12:15:54 PM »

I should point out, for the benefit of interested parties, that the Babbacombe Lee CD is currently available for £4.99 at HMV. Other music retailers are available.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2011, 12:22:37 PM »

I should point out, for the benefit of interested parties, that the Babbacombe Lee CD is currently available for £4.99 at HMV. Other music retailers are available.

For the terminally lazy, its a pound cheaper at Amazon...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2011, 02:24:19 PM »

An unfortunate by-product of last night was, however, the realisation that the lyrics to Squeeze's Cool for Cats fit perfectly with the verses of The Hanging Song. Try it, in Swarb's voice, in your head.  Grin

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »

An unfortunate by-product of last night was, however, the realisation that the lyrics to Squeeze's Cool for Cats fit perfectly with the verses of The Hanging Song. Try it, in Swarb's voice, in your head.  Grin

Shane i think i hate you  Roll Eyes
it just wont go away Shocked
make it stop Shocked Fez Roll Eyes

The Dude abides
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2011, 02:41:49 PM »

Always happy to help, Jim!  Grin

All together now!

The Sweeney's doing ninety 'cause they've got the word to go
To get a gang of villains in a shed up at Heathrow
They're counting out the fivers when the handcuffs lock again
In and out o' Wandsworth with the numbers on their naaaaames!

Shake the holy water, summon up the guard...

Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2011, 05:43:11 PM »

If anyone's there tonight, by the way, please do check - I'm sure Simon finished last night's show (in Colchester) with "Thank you Norwich"...

Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2011, 05:51:19 PM »

If anyone's there tonight, by the way, please do check - I'm sure Simon finished last night's show (in Colchester) with "Thank you Norwich"...

I don't remember that Undecided
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2011, 05:53:43 PM »

I don't remember that Undecided

Probably a trick of the acoustics.  Roll Eyes

Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #150 on: February 23, 2011, 06:05:42 PM »

“If you want to live your life you have to flirt with death.”

Many of the songs last night were about death:  I counted 7 actual deaths and several others that were remembered, anticipated, commemorated, alluded to or escaped from ... and that was just the second half!  The first half was entirely devoted to a man who should have died but didn't.  

However, death was not the theme.  To me it was all about living – stepping out into the unknown, taking risks, challenging oneself, surviving.  And I believe that is exactly what FC have done on this tour.

Tackling Babbacombe Lee and most of the songs from the new album was a brave undertaking.  No wonder the chaps seemed nervous at the start.  Concentration levels were high throughout and they only visibly relaxed when they reached WKWTTG and the home straight.

It was a huge success.  I loved every minute.

Okay, so Simon forgot a few words (it really didn't matter – I sung them for him in my head Wink) and when Chris introduced Wouldn't Say No, I felt a twinge of guilt about my lack of compassion towards the cop.

Kat and Jamie were excellent. We bought their CD. It's very good but I was a bit disappointed to find that the song about Kat's grandfather was missing.

I've only just finished reading the programme – there was a lot to get through and I've been entertaining relatives today. I've never heard of Karl Paulnack but what he had to say about music and its purpose certainly resonated with me.  I've been feeling quite stressed lately and last night I slept better than I have done for weeks.

Thank you Fairport.
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #151 on: February 23, 2011, 07:05:34 PM »

Kat and Jamie were excellent. We bought their CD. It's very good but I was a bit disappointed to find that the song about Kat's grandfather was missing.

Thank you Fairport.

Isn't it the last track on the album- "Travelling in Time"?  I was totally knocked out too, when I heard them play this live last year- I think it it the same track on the album (not played it that much) - maybe the studio version is not as powerful as the live version.
I wished I had gone to the Norwich leg of the Wintour the other night, but it had already sold out. Was also a bit short of cash, and ears were still ringing from seeing an indie band- "British Sea Power" the night before. Now looking forward to Fairport's set at Cropredy this year.
folkieboater

« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2011, 07:42:35 PM »

Thank you Fairport.

Isn't it the last track on the album- "Travelling in Time"?  I was totally knocked out too, when I heard them play this live last year- I think it it the same track on the album (not played it that much) - maybe the studio version is not as powerful as the live version.
I wished I had gone to the Norwich leg of the Wintour the other night, but it had already sold out. Was also a bit short of cash, and ears were still ringing from seeing an indie band- "British Sea Power" the night before. Now looking forward to Fairport's set at Cropredy this year.

It is indeed called "Travelling in Time", it is the last track on their first album, Shadows and Half Light. They also had their new album on sale on this tour.
Simon Nicol
Samantha was detained elsewhere...

Loc: Usually CT4

Wilco ... and Out!

« Reply #153 on: February 24, 2011, 01:21:59 AM »

Not up to me: but I'd like to apologise to anyone who can prove I made such a clouting geographical error.

"Rock on Cleveland" maybe....

As the Zen Master said, "Don't just do something - sit there!"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2011, 09:20:09 AM »

Not up to me: but I'd like to apologise to anyone who can prove I made such a clouting geographical error.

"Rock on Cleveland" maybe....

If that's not an invitation to the 'youtubers', I don't know what is.  Is anyone any good at lipsyncing?  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2011, 11:40:37 AM »

It is indeed called "Travelling in Time", it is the last track on their first album, Shadows and Half Light. They also had their new album on sale on this tour.

Ah, that would explain it - Katy's Dad picked up the latest one - Up From The Deep.  Thanks.
FionaS

Loc: Margate

« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2011, 10:40:47 PM »

It is very wrong of you to do this to me!
Sean Mansfield
n3wb

Loc: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

Still a young'un but far from a Cropredy virgin!

« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2011, 12:09:23 AM »

Literally just arrived home from their stop off in St. Albans:

the support act were ok, to be quite honest a bit meek and mild. they were technically skilled with their instruments and songwriting however the singing and general feel of the song lacked spirit; the guitarist had a tendancy to sing over the microphone meaning i couldn't hear what he was singing and the violinist was extremely static in all aspects. i liked the songs however they needed a more "oomfy" performance  Undecided

being a younger fairport fan i did enjoy the songs from Babbacombe Lee that i recognised, however it felt very dominated all the way through; i understand that they wanted to play it to acknowledge its 40th annivesary, and of course they played tracks from Festival Bell because it's their new album. however i pined after just a couple of old favourites to add some variety; they didnt really showcase the Fairport i know and love. the arena was half full and i felt half happy with the evening; the guys ofcourse played and hosted fantastically as usual, the choice of content for me was poor.  Unbeknownst to me our neighbours were seeing them for the first time, i wonder how different our image of the band will be.

Have a nice day to all who read Smiley

Can't wait for Cropredy 2012!
richardkendell

« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »

Literally just arrived home from their stop off in St. Albans:

the support act were ok, to be quite honest a bit meek and mild. they were technically skilled with their instruments and songwriting however the singing and general feel of the song lacked spirit; the guitarist had a tendancy to sing over the microphone meaning i couldn't hear what he was singing and the violinist was extremely static in all aspects. i liked the songs however they needed a more "oomfy" performance  Undecided

I agree, not the best support in recent years. Others on the list seem to have enjoyed them, I wonder if they were just having a bad night?
I know it is heretical but I liked the second half of Fairport better than the first. Babbacombe Lee has never been one of my favourite albums and nothing changed last night. I did like the new stuff.
I was surprised at the spare seats in the venue given that other venues seem to have sold out.
scarabus (Kevin)

Loc: Hertfordshire

Cutting wood whenever convenient

« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2011, 10:32:23 AM »

Got to disagree with the St Albans comments - thought it was a cracking show. It's a decent-sized hall, and there were certainly more people there than a couple of years back.
As for the support, I thought they were excellent. Astonishing guitar player and the fiddle player had great (if understated) presence.
As for the chaps... superb throughout. I used to think that Chris Leslie singing Renardine was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard, and I still do. But golly, his rendition of the Cell Song comes a very close second.

Loganberry jam is another kettle of fish
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: