TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:54:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Fairport by Fairport'  (Read 248323 times)
leahdon (Donna)
Secret Fez Admirer

Loc: Gloucestershire

« Reply #480 on: October 29, 2013, 02:30:11 PM »

So he's happy that he and the others are now going to get a share (I wonder who is giving up that... hopefully not the current members or Nigel) and he's happy that he stopped people buying it.

Is he going to retract his comment on the Amazon site now, as surely he is now cutting off his nose to spite his face.

PS I thought Swarb was a member of this board?

Cheers,

Donna
xx
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #481 on: October 29, 2013, 03:18:33 PM »

I have just read Swarb's review on Amazon which I had not seen before.

I can understand his misgivings as detailed in the corrections and an argument can certainly be made that it is not an especially good book and is full of inaccuracies but to categorise it as

"a PR job for the current line up at the old line up's expense"

is certainly not the way that I (and probably most of its readers) perceived it and seems an unnecessarily spiteful accusation.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #482 on: October 29, 2013, 03:34:48 PM »

http://www.fairportconvention.com/dave_pegg_history.php

"One day I intend to write a book about it all. There are so many stories. Swarb has his too, he could tell you things I really wouldn't want to see in print, though often his version is completely different to mine."

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #483 on: October 30, 2013, 09:11:48 AM »

Swarb's points/reasons may have been good and valid but the way he deals with them is rather pathetic and severly impairs his reputation. (IMHO)
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #484 on: October 31, 2013, 08:12:59 PM »

I remain a fan of the band, current and past. Swarbick's rantings have zero influence on that, however much they may or may not be justified. I love his and Fairport's work; that's all that really matters to me.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #485 on: October 31, 2013, 09:22:54 PM »

It's a poorly written, poorly researched, poorly proof read  book, put out to make a few bob. End of story.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #486 on: October 31, 2013, 09:31:04 PM »

It's a poorly written, poorly researched, poorly proof read  book, put out to make a few bob. End of story.

I'm yet to find a book that isn't, on some level at least, 'put out to make a few bob'...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #487 on: October 31, 2013, 10:20:42 PM »

To paraphrase Robert Heinlein, if you are not writing with at least one eye on the market, you are just making paper dirty on one side.

As a professional musician myself, I have a quick fuse when people object to musicians being paid for what they do. I don't know of any other profession where this happens on such a regular basis. As someone once said (I wish I knew who), try getting a plumber to work on your house by saying, "I am not going to pay you, but, hey, it will be great exposure for you."
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #488 on: October 31, 2013, 11:12:03 PM »

How about this: It's a poorly written, poorly researched, poorly proof read, overpriced and overhyped book,  End of story.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #489 on: November 01, 2013, 04:23:17 AM »

How about this: It's a poorly written, poorly researched, poorly proof read, overpriced and overhyped book,  End of story.

How about what? I have seen quite a few comments from people whose opinions differ from yours. I cannot give mine for the simple reason I have not read the book (my disposable cash is very low right now); however, with all due respect, the story seems far from over, no matter how many times you keep saying it is.

And I stand by my statement. If the members of Fairport can make a little cash with the book, good on 'em! They deserve it.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #490 on: November 01, 2013, 08:14:32 AM »

Fair enough. Opinions will differ. I was seeking to restate Hendo's opinion in a fashion acceptable to David.

Incidentally, making money from poor product isn't always a great idea, in my opinion.

And by the way, Professional Photographers suffer from the same "do it for your reputation as opposed to money" too.

Simon Withers

« Reply #491 on: November 01, 2013, 08:29:47 AM »

As a professional musician myself, I have a quick fuse when people object to musicians being paid for what they do. I don't know of any other profession where this happens on such a regular basis.

...There are a significant number of visual artists also who do not get paid on a regular basis.

fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #492 on: November 01, 2013, 08:39:06 AM »

I have no objection to anyone making a few bob, and lets face it dear old fairport is a pretty effective cash generator whether we like it or not.
Having attempted to read this book I only got about a tenth of the way in because it is (IMHO) badly written. I dunno enough about the details to say if it is badly researched but bear in mind that as an official product of the current band the chaps will have a major say in what goes in, also remember that a lot of this stuff happened a long time ago and peoples memories do get a bit misty with time and alcohol.
So in my opinion, not a good read.
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #493 on: November 01, 2013, 09:32:35 AM »

Having read this thread again Swarbrick's main complaint seems to be not having been informed or consulted about the book, resulting in his corrections but also attacks, but, as someone pointed out, this in spite of Swarb aid. So there probably must already have been bad blood between them otherwise his criticism would not have been so harsh.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #494 on: November 01, 2013, 09:49:15 AM »

As a professional musician myself, I have a quick fuse when people object to musicians being paid for what they do. I don't know of any other profession where this happens on such a regular basis.

Actually it would be interesting to draw up a list of professions that are expected to do things for free.

I'm often asked to rescue infested computers, or fix some electrical problem and people would be affronted if I suggested they paid.
I suspect that Andy would tell you that people are also surprised when asked to pay to use a photograph.

However you try asking a decorator if he minds just painting your front door, or an accountant to help you with something. They always expect to be paid.

Back on topic, I haven't seen this book, I wonder if they used any of my photos.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #495 on: November 01, 2013, 10:06:41 AM »

At the risk of being repetitive, if this had indeed been a sumptuous coffee-table book like this one from the Stones for £20 instead of a normal-sized book for £40, I'm sure a lot of the negativity would have been ameliorated.

hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #496 on: November 01, 2013, 10:21:05 AM »

To paraphrase Robert Heinlein, if you are not writing with at least one eye on the market, you are just making paper dirty on one side.

As a professional musician myself, I have a quick fuse when people object to musicians being paid for what they do. I don't know of any other profession where this happens on such a regular basis. As someone once said (I wish I knew who), try getting a plumber to work on your house by saying, "I am not going to pay you, but, hey, it will be great exposure for you."

Hi Mark, let's try and take the heat out of this.
I play with 2 bands. One, as a 'regular guest' with a full time/pro folk band and two, with a semi pro local band. I do all the bookings for the 2nd band. Trust me I could write the book on people not wanting to pay bands....
My wife is an artist, she has just completed 2 commissions gleaned from a recent exhibition. If you could have heard the wrangling over price.......'well i'm sure you'll enjoy doing it etc'
So I have absolutely no probs with bands/artists making money.
My problem has been quality of 'product'
If you're going to market a book as 'definitive', 'unexpergated', then hold back stories cos they're going to be in Peggy's book , I have a problem.
So my basic issue, which iIhave expressed earlier in this thread, is that the book doesn't deliver, on so many levels, what it was advertised to do.
Also remember that Woodworm (Peggy) leased many of their 'unsold' albums to other labels so we got all sort of albums, of varying quality under the Fairport name. I am sure this made Peggy a few bob.
Also, this is the music industry. Fairport do not pay , or pay accommodation for their 'guest' on the winter tour. The deal is you sell CD's and it will be a good profile raiser. I am sure this saves them a few bob.
So, no probs with you and me and other bands being able to eat, just want what it says on the tin.
Got to go ,to e mail a lady who wants us to play a charity gig........!!!!!! apparently they are paying for the bar and the hog roast (very expensive apparently) but will we play for very little??!! Shocked
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #497 on: November 01, 2013, 07:35:44 PM »

Fair enough. Opinions will differ. I was seeking to restate Hendo's opinion in a fashion acceptable to David.

Incidentally, making money from poor product isn't always a great idea, in my opinion.

And by the way, Professional Photographers suffer from the same "do it for your reputation as opposed to money" too.

Agreed regarding "Poor product." Ultimately self-defeating. Although, again, I can't agree or disagree regrading this particular book, since I haven't read it yet.

I have been a professional photographer in the past, and I did sometimes get asked to do freebies. But nothing even close to the times I get asked as a musician. With photography they at least asked---and accepted it when I said no. With music they often demand freebies and get mad if I refuse. That's my experience, anyway. One agency I was with (not any longer) demanded more free gigs than they got paying ones for us.

hendo(Dave), You make good points. But, as I said, can't speak to truth in this particular book since I haven't read it. I do know that all the times I have been interviewed over the years not once---not once!--- did the published results match what I remembered saying. I don't know if Swarb is more accurate, or if the book is. Still, if I had to put money on it, I would guess that the truth (as usual) lies somewhere in the middle. But that's just an uninformed guess. Good luck with your music! If I ever get over there, I'd love to see ya play!
Joss

Loc: Castle Cary, Somerset

« Reply #498 on: November 13, 2013, 06:19:54 PM »

Easy availability in time for Christmas - I see the publisher 'Essential Works' is now offering multiple copies for sale on Ebay, £33.69 plus P&P.
Andrew

Loc: Planet Earth

« Reply #499 on: November 14, 2013, 12:55:08 PM »

i own the book but haven't had the opportunity to read it yet, so cannot comment on whether it is any good.

Having read Swarb's comments about the inacurracies within the book, some of them do seem to be a little trivial, for example, is it really that important whose idea it was to smash up Peggy's bass?

Also, I'm sure that all those involved have different memories of various events and just because the published versions don't tie up with Swarb's recollections it doesn't mean they aren't the most accurate versions.  How can we know which version is correct, we weren't there.

My overwhelming feeling about the whole thing is sadness that Swarb took this stance and the apparent bitterness towards some current members of the band.  

IMHO, Fairport have a great deal to thank Swarb for; his energy and enthusiasm kept the band going during the difficult times of the seventies.  At the same time, I'm sure it could be argued that Swarb has a lot to thank Fairport for, not least during his illness and the way the band rallied around with the Swardaid event.

Whether the differences will be resolved, who knows. I would dearly love to see Swarb at Cropredy again but doubt this will happen.

Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into Stanley
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: