TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:50:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antique Fairport Merchandise  (Read 17681 times)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« on: July 25, 2006, 05:33:28 PM »

All this talk about still being ab;le to wear things from the FC archive has got me wondering if anyone out there has got, and can still get into a pair of the FC scanty panties which were sold sometime in the early 1980s?

Jackdaw

(a simple yes will suffice on NO account post photographic evidence)

Yes. and No.

The boys asked for suggestions for tunes (I think around the time of Expletive Delighted?) and I wrote in suggesting "Mona's Delight" - being my Mum's name, and she being an FC fan.  Well, the title wasn't used, but I received a lovely pair of scanties for my Mum. (Thanks to Christine Pegg).  She never could get into them, BUT - she's still got them! I guess they will be passed down to my sister (another fan) in the fullness of time.  Imagine, in 200 years time, they might have pride of place at the Museum of Costume in Bath - or the Museum of Dodgy Merch in Banburyshire.

Flobbadob!
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 09:04:03 AM »

Two teatowels, circa 1990, with pics of current and former members (Koen's, I think?) still doing good service and will be coming along this year as usual for drying up the (first) breakfast pots. Smiley
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 10:27:46 AM »

The Koen tea towel always adorns the inside wall of the boat.. never been used on dishes though!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 11:18:28 AM »

I actually sold an extra tea towel which had been in hiding somewhere for over a decade (sold if after washing it, mind) for a rather staggering less-than-$1, I believe, on eBay, some months ago. The value of some Fairport goodies eh ;-)

I'm back at comics by the way after an absence of about 9 years. My 1996 comic book Schnuurt - and there's an advert for which Fairport actually posed, published in a Dutch music magazine I was writing for at the time - I have to dig that up somewhere, as it actually fits in this topic - will be republished and redone (few pages out, few others from around that time in) ... call it remastered  Afro, and coloured now too as opposed to the initial B&W version ... early next year.

And I've just been asked for Dutch comic 'zine MYX. All comics in Dutch though ...
A man's gotta do what he's reasonably good at ... I'm reasonably good at a profession which isn't very profitable (unless you get lucky), but it's more fun. And I'd rather create comics/drawings than vegetate at some office desk ...
No money though to attend Cropredy, that's a downside, grr. 

Now, I promise to try and find that pic from 1996. It has FC acoustic with Maart still. And me, come to think of it the pic's just as if I am the drummer actually. DM misses and I'm in ;-)
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 11:28:01 AM »

Is this the pic

[attachment deleted by admin]

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 01:02:50 PM »

Not for the advert, no - it was a pic as in, a photo. I've got it somewhere.
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 03:01:06 PM »

Ah. here we go. I believe it was Stockton-on-Tees, May 1996, an acoustic Fairport gig. Afterwards, they posed for this pic which was used for an advert for my book in Dutch music mag Platenblad, summer 1996. That whole advert I can't find anymore for the life of me, but the pic's here:
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 03:46:56 PM »

My tea towel has two cartoons on it and the FC logo..

The top cartoon is of the then line up with Maart and DM, below is a pic of lots of other Fairporters.. the title is A Conventiuon of Ex-Fairporters.

I'll try and get a photo of it posted here later.

Koho any chance of an up to date drawing of the Chaps please?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 03:55:46 PM »

I think there were even two tea towels ... one being what Amethyst describes, the other was another drawing I did (also in another colour; one had brown lines the other green) which had earlier appeared in one of the programmes. Both with the FC logo and Woodworm Heritage printed at the bottom. I can only find one, but seem to remember the other. I have no idea anymore how many were made, and they weren't for sale for long.

After this, Fairport moved out of the teatowel business, apparently not the most lucrative of enterprises. But hey! At least they tried. 
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 04:12:18 PM »

Koho: Maybe it´s time for another Fairport-tea-towel-adventure?   Wink  With a merchandise dept on their homepage, Fairport can rely on several diehard fans all over the world that weren´t able to buy these goodies at the time, but with the internet...You´ll never know? ! ?  Cheesy Grin
I´ve been hunting the FC coffee jug and I´m pretty sure that a tea towel would be ordered at the same time should there be any available from the Fairport homepage.
No money for Cropredy this year either but savingg up for a ....2007!
Staffan

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 04:40:49 PM »

OK, I know we are moving into merchandise suggestions here bit I'd love to see the return of the FC earthenware pint tankard. I got one of the big coffee mugs a few years ago but something big enough for a pint would be even more useful!!

Jackdaw  Cool
Billy the fish (Rob)

Loc: Rothwell - Northants

Half Man Half Fishcuit

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 04:58:01 PM »

as long as they don't bring back that awful white baseball cap from 92, which incidentally i still have.

Did anybody else see that?
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 05:44:25 PM »

OK, I know we are moving into merchandise suggestions here bit I'd love to see the return of the FC earthenware pint tankard. I got one of the big coffee mugs a few years ago but something big enough for a pint would be even more useful!!

Jackdaw  Cool

I have a beautiful brown 25th Anniversary pint tankard, a blue pint and a quarter vase-shaped one (ideal for home brew) from a couple of years later and a half pint off-white one from around the 25th. Mrs MoF drinks cider from the latter, being a person of modest consumption  Wink

Could be that what is a "big coffee mug" to you is a pint & a quarter beer mug to me Grin

I don't remember seeing the  brown lined teatowel.

My mate, Oakwood Graham of this Board, had a green FC brolly and may still have. That dates from around 1990.

So long as merch is kept in good taste and doesn't become like the Shakespeare industry, for example, I'm all for it.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 05:58:50 PM »

A friend of mine bought the green and whitre FC brolly.. I was with her when she bought it at the Derby Assembly Rooms on the wintour of 1990.. it cost her £16.. wish I'd bought one as well.

The writing on it said..  Come rain or shine you're always fine with Fairport Convention and she had it signed by most of the then line up! 

I have a some pohotos somewhere Cool Grin

Joss

Loc: Castle Cary, Somerset

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 07:34:33 PM »

Hi Amethyst - You can't make that comment about the umbrella & expect me to keep quiet!!!!!!!!!

Turn to Page 46 of Festival Folk!!!!!!

(Anybody out there not bought a copy yet? They're still available although running down now, see www.festivalfolk.co.uk
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 09:36:54 PM »

I've still got the tie (which Ric coveted at the launch of "Old New" at the Virgin Megastore), the pullover (c1982?) which introduced me to the fair Grace, the "Who Know?" watch (which doesn't work any more), the silver "Fairport" badge, the Broughton Castle tankard .....

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 09:11:42 AM »

Could be that what is a "big coffee mug" to you is a pint & a quarter beer mug to me Grin

All I know is that it don't hold a pint - I think it is 1/2 litre capacity.

Jackdaw
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 09:16:40 AM »

I've still got the tie (which Ric coveted at the launch of "Old New" at the Virgin Megastore), the pullover (c1982?) which introduced me to the fair Grace, the "Who Know?" watch (which doesn't work any more), the silver "Fairport" badge, the Broughton Castle tankard .....

Those watches were total b*****ks. I think Peggy must have bought them from a garage. The one I've got worked for about two days - no chance of knowing where the times goes whatsoever.

Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 09:38:25 AM »

Still tryin to wind it up Cockle?  Grin Grin

Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 09:45:57 AM »

Batteries are not the answer to everything, Puggsy, as Amethyst often tells me.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: