TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:21:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trevor Lucas and Redgum  (Read 5016 times)
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« on: July 23, 2006, 11:17:12 PM »

Anyone heard of Redgum - an Australian folk-rock band?

I have just taken possession of a live CD from way-back-when, but I'm told that they enjoyed significant success in Australia after collaborating with Trevor Lucas.

Any Australian Fairporters out there? 

Sir Robert Peel

Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 11:39:20 PM »

http://www.geocities.com/redgum_music/caught_in.html

Cast about an found this Peely. TL was the producer.

Get rid of some of the slashes an wotnot and yer get to their home page.

Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 01:03:44 AM »

So Sir Bob, This Cd, is it of quality? Does it come recommended? Should one seek out a copy?

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 03:42:41 AM »

Yeah, I saw Redgum live many times.  Their path went along the lines of acoustic part-time band to acoustic full time, to folk-rock full time, to "founder members leaving but carrying on with no great success any more".  All the time being a very political group.  Trevor Lucas produced and appeared on a couple of their albums, plus the 1983 national #1 single "I Was Only 19" which had Trev on backing vocals on the chorus.  This was a song about the plight of Vietnam veterans so its success was surprising but welcome.  "Frankie kicked a mine the day that mankind kicked the moon / God help me, he was going home in June..."  TL did a version of this with Fairport at Cropredy '85.

The main focal point was singer/songwriter John Schumann who very nearly became a member of parliament in the late 1990s.  He also hosted a children's TV show for a while.  His Australian accent is a rather broad one.

Re Caught In The Act - it's pretty good but is the acoustic version of the band, pre-hit single though it has an earlier version of 19 on it.  It's good to have and is one of the few Redgum CDs available now.  There is also a compilation called Against The Grain:
http://store.countrymusic.com.au/store/products/item1818.inetstore
which has a broader overview.  More details about Redgum at http://www.geocities.com/redgum_music/

MH

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 03:57:51 AM »

Saw Redgum in the late eighties at the Kendal Brewery Arts Center I think, they were very good although I was distracted at the time. I seem to remember they were supposed to play Cropredy at one time but didn't.
I had a compilation album that dissappeared with my distraction in Kendal I think.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 09:03:54 AM »

Been a fan for years, ever since TL did that number at Cropredy 85.

They were quite prolific in their time - I have several CDs....hoping for some kind of reunion might happen (without TL obviously!) at some stage in the future.

Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 09:43:53 AM »

Many thanks, chaps.

I've got 'Caught in the Act' and I think it splendid.

Peel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: