TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:56:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport (and others) and Global Oblivion  (Read 7399 times)
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« on: June 19, 2006, 01:30:10 PM »

As some of you know, I am nothing if not positive about our efforts as a race to destroy ourselves and everything about us. We are doing an excellent job of this and would clearly receive an A* if there were an exam called "How To Destroy The Earth".

Now Folk Music has a rare tradition above almost all other forms of music, of conscious compassion for our fellow Earth travellers, the less able and more needy, those subjugated by industry and the state, the loss of innocence and so on, but amongst the other forms of music making efforts to wake others up to the damage being done to our planet - there are good examples in chart pop, hip-hop, rock, classical, even punk - folk music seems to be lagging behind in what would seem an obvious avenue for ecological consciousness raising.

There are some exceptions : Kate Rusby (bless her soul) played at the recent Climate Chaos concert alongside other more mainstream acts, Steve Knightley made a lightly veiled comment in "Witness" about sea level rise, and there are certainly artists on the more verdant fringes of the genre plying their trade at "green" festivals, but it's minor stuff, and Whither Fairport?

Fairport have not been afraid in the past to address political issues (Jewel In The Crown is the most overt example) but is it that they do not now wish to wear their hearts on their sleeves, or is it that the climate issue is not an appropriate subject for folk (even though it affects all folk), or something else?

I tried, to little avail, to engage a few people in my Forest Friendly Folk idea, but was met with universal negativity by musicians. We are facing something that is far bigger than just rainforest loss now - but still the folk community are not mobilised  Sad  Insularity could be the death of us all, but folk can potentially connect with many people who are in a position to make a difference; we are a pretty bright lot, all in all. Such a shame it's not happening.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 02:59:54 PM »

Blame Sting, or should I say, the media's mockery of his efforts to tackle environmental topics.

Sorry to hear your disappointment at the lack of response, Keith.   Have you tried approaching the young bucks of folk rather the Fairport generation?  Or what about Mike Scott from the Waterboys?     

Peel
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 09:16:31 PM »

The way to get FC involved is to find somneone to write a song for them - Like Red & Gold....was that Ralph or Chris While....

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 09:22:05 PM »

Ralph

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 08:33:12 AM »

Ralph

Like he did with the oilsplil song The Islands.

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 11:49:02 AM »

Don't forget the sheer anger there used to be in Simon's voice when he uttered the words "poll tax" in Wat Tyler.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 12:09:34 PM »

A couple of observations here.

Fairport, though occasionally performing songs that have an element of social comment (Diamonds and Gold, Tom Paine), are not and never have been a protest band in the way that the Oysterband, the Levellers or Chumbawumba have been, or even someone like Martyn Joseph.

Whilst I accept the issues concerning Global Warming and Climate Change there are many people who do not. I do not assume that just because I feel that way everyone else does. Let's not place our own political and social stance on Fairport, or any other musicians, whose views may be very different from our own.

Festival's such as Green Man, Wychwood, and Greenbelt have strong links with orgsniastions like Greenpeace, Oxfam and others. Greenbelt certainly is rather more than small fry although the others are still developing. Also Michael Eavis has donated huge sums to Greenpeace from Glastonbury and you don't get much biger than that.

As to Keith's Forest Friiendly Folk idea. Keith, is this an idea for a live event of a CD. If it's live then im ny experience if a musician has a calendar space and can be guaranteed their fee and a reasonable audience they will play.

Keep the faith though Keith,

Jackdaw
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 12:39:14 PM »

Thanks Jackdaw and others.

FFF was just a concept for using sustainable timber for musical instruments, but other things overtook it after seemed to have died at birth.

I wasn't having a go at Fairport, but rather the folk genre in general. If folk doesn't reflect the needs of the people of the time then what does it do? We have a crisis of our making and while folk music should not be targeted specifically as a standard bearer (although it was so in the 1960s when it came to things that were similarly esoteric - racism, workers rights, peace), it seems to have become rather "wimpy" as a genre when other forms of music seem to be going the other way.

www.underminers.org
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 12:51:38 PM »

I wonder if there isn't a bit of a cross-over here?
Back in the 60's wasn't there two genres, Protest songs and Folk songs? I think over time the Protest songs have been absorbed into the Folk music and maybe the lines have become blurred.

mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Paolo

Loc: Parma, ITALY

Less than all can not satisfy man

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 03:32:52 PM »

As Dick Gaughan pointed out in a recenti interwiew (on italian folk music magazine that occasionally welcome my typing), a folk musician should always keep alive the link with his/her community. I think environment is or should br included in the idea of community.

all the best end cheers

Paolo
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 03:48:22 PM »

Hi keith,
why not check out Seize The Day- they are definitely folk and definitely protest in a pro-active kind of way.  this may then lead you on to other similar bands and organisations.....................

and they're brilliant too

it'll be fine.......
Paolo

Loc: Parma, ITALY

Less than all can not satisfy man

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 04:49:17 PM »

If it does not sound too anti britidh (not my intention), it worth remember all the scottish ballads complaining the HIghland Clearances, when both villages and environment were destroyed.

Best to all and Happy Bithday Groove st.

p
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 06:38:22 PM »

Folk music can do its part.  However, its such a relatively small market.   While a republican here, or a conservative there, might have a soft spot for a Kingston Trio song or two, the vast majority of folkies already have an affinity to environmental causes.  Therefore, its sort of like preaching to the choir, which is okay, but the general public is going to go: "okay, its the folkies doing their folkie thing.  Ho hum."

We remember "Blowing In The Wind" and "Eve of Destruction" because they appeared during an extraordinary time where folk music became mainstream for about 5 or 6 years.  Rock absorbed it, mutated it, then went on to other things with it. 

Protest (awarness) music for global issues will need to come from a different source to make a substantial impact.

Where?  It would be cool and totally unexpected if many  in the C&W industry would take up the mantle.  Now that would have some vast possibilities in opening some minds and changing lifestyle habits.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 09:55:48 AM »

Hi keith,
why not check out Seize The Day- they are definitely folk and definitely protest in a pro-active kind of way.  this may then lead you on to other similar bands and organisations.....................

and they're brilliant too

Thanks Abby

Have added a link to them on my site - will have a listen when I get home.

K.

www.underminers.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: