TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:32:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Albion recomendations  (Read 17236 times)
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 01:06:48 PM »

Aren't there 2 versions of the Mysteries? I have a blue one!(Fledgling?) but no RT on either. I also treasure 3 versions of 'Lark Rise': vinyl, tape and CD, aquired at 15 year intervals, and it is still one of my all time favourites.
'Rattlebone' is not one of the greatest, although I play it regularly, - not in the same league as Rise Up which is my yardstick for really great 'folk' music.
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 01:10:13 PM »

- Also, I have a soft spot for 'The Wild side', not great, and a bit shmultzy in places, but it makes me cry every time! I was really happy that it has finally been issued on CD after many years of hunting for it.
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 10:08:37 PM »

I can't find home service on amazon. Any other suggestions?  Thanks for all the nice advice.  Especially the jpegs.
Mindwarper,

You can find a couple of reasonably priced Home Service CDs and LPs here in the States at www.rockinworld.com/default.htm.  Otherwise, they're harder to find than hen's teeth.  I'd say you might have a running chance of finding some of their stuff down there at some of those fancy record stores in San Fran., maybe? 

Hope I could help! 
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2006, 12:32:44 AM »

I can't find home service on amazon. Any other suggestions?  Thanks for all the nice advice.  Especially the jpegs.
Mindwarper,

You can find a couple of reasonably priced Home Service CDs and LPs here in the States at www.rockinworld.com/default.htm.  Otherwise, they're harder to find than hen's teeth.  I'd say you might have a running chance of finding some of their stuff down there at some of those fancy record stores in San Fran., maybe? 

Hope I could help! 

You did help. Still can't find all of home service, but I found 100$ of stuff at that site.

UCD   Home Service   Early Transmissions (1st LP +2)   11   
CD   Trevor Lucas, A.L. Lloyd & M. Wyndham-Rea   Great Australian Legend   30   
CD   Ewan MacColl And Peggy Seeger   Child Ballads Volume 1 SALE!   10   
CD   Ewan MacColl And Peggy Seeger   Child Ballads Volume 2 SALE!   10   
CD   Ewan MacColl And Peggy Seeger   Child Ballads Volume 3 SALE!   10   
CD   Ewan MacColl And Peggy Seeger   WhalersOutOfNew Bedford (OST)SALE   10   
VT   John Renbourn   In Concert 1990 (VIDEO) SALE!   6   

I am tempted to buy more A.L.Loyd. He is very hard to find. Thanks for the tip.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Pat Helms

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2006, 08:06:26 PM »

I like Early Transmission, but its a little "slicker" than their later stuff - bitten by the 80's bug, I guess.  All Right, Jack is much earthier and worthy of a quest.  Glad you were able to find some cool stuff!
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2006, 02:13:35 AM »

I like Early Transmission, but its a little "slicker" than their later stuff - bitten by the 80's bug, I guess.  All Right, Jack is much earthier and worthy of a quest.  Glad you were able to find some cool stuff!

The early transmission was out of stock and left off the order   So sad. Eventually I will get em all. The Trevor Lucas, A.L. Lloyd & M. Wyndham-Rea   Great Australian Legend cd has Dave Pegg and Swarb on it as well. So it has 3 members of FC. I would love to know of all the recording that they are involved with. It must be quite a list with all the morris on and albion line ups. But I want it. Did FC members  ever record anything else with Bert Lloyd? He is a favorite of mine.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
red max

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2006, 01:18:14 PM »

"bitten by the 80's bug", I like that phrase. It pretty well describes the Albions' output of that decade, and perhaps Fairport and Steeleye's too. During the 70s these bands were truly wonderful, giving us natural-sounding albums with a nice mix of traditional and contemporary songs; then in the 80s it's like some post-punk paranoia set in, they all seemed hell-bent on sounding modern and relevant. Some of those Albion albums from the 80s sound so thin, and the synths & sax are really grating. I can see why Ashley felt the need to push the songwriting side and not rely on the trad stuff, but after the John Tams/Richard Thompson songs the new stuff seemed pretty anaemic.

I wish I could be more positive. The thing is, the 70s Albions albums, along with the Morris On releases, Kicking up the sawdust, Compleat dancing master, they were stunning. That's what makes the ensuing albums such a disappointment.

To answer the earlier question, I think Under the rose might have been issued on CD on its initial release. Stella maris certainly was. I assume these albums are tied up in some sort of legal limbo, otherwise they'd surely have been picked up by Talking Elephant. I asked Ashley last year about Light shining, and he said that it was highly unlikely to get a CD release, as the owner of the recordings has vanished!
Pat Helms

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2006, 05:32:22 PM »

"bitten by the 80's bug", I like that phrase. It pretty well describes the Albions' output of that decade, and perhaps Fairport and Steeleye's too. During the 70s these bands were truly wonderful, giving us natural-sounding albums with a nice mix of traditional and contemporary songs; then in the 80s it's like some post-punk paranoia set in, they all seemed hell-bent on sounding modern and relevant. Some of those Albion albums from the 80s sound so thin, and the synths & sax are really grating.

Nominee #1: CAPTURED - Albion Band

This is a particularly wonderful album to avoid.  The music seems to ooze of mullets and bolo ties.........mall music for  folk rockers!  The album should have been called LET IT GO!
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2006, 05:57:13 PM »

"
To answer the earlier question, I think Under the rose might have been issued on CD on its initial release. Stella maris certainly was.

You're right - I found Under The Rose in HMV in Manchester a few years ago ( but to my eternal regret, there was a huge queue and I couldn't wait, so reckoned I'd find it again - no such luck ).

Stella Maris I do have on CD - courtesy of that very fine second hand place in Croydon.

According to the Musikfolk update - Larkrise is set for re-release again very soon.

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: