TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:12:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Albion recomendations  (Read 17235 times)
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« on: June 16, 2006, 12:50:41 AM »

Hi,

I have a very complete FC colection. But my albion is limited to no roses and acoustic city. I think I have one or two others. What are some good Albion cds? I am a big fan of The bones of all men with Philip Pickett. And I love Gryphon and Graeme Taylor, so Rise up like the sun will probably be one.  What others would you recomend?

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 07:56:56 AM »

rise up, the prospect before us, any/ all of the bbc /windsong cd's ,if they are available
battle of the field
on a related note look out for the Home service as this was the albion band minus ashley and was brilliant
 the later albions have their fans but i find them a bit patchy, no doubt someone will be along in a while who will put you straight
about the while/mattews years and later

The Dude abides
Neil Morrell
Candlestick in the Library
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: St Helens, Lancs

Be careful Mr President - I think he's drunkkk!

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 06:55:40 PM »

1990 was a fairly good album - but Rise Up is a MUST have. Some of the more recent (but not current) Albion albums are as rare as Rocking Horse Poo.

No longer active on TAW.  Cheers Y'all!!
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 09:49:05 PM »

Definitely the early Albions - with drummer of course - listen to the absolutely amazing version of Broomfield Hill on "Stella maris". That is a real statement of intent to open any album !!

Also "No Roses"

And " The Prospect Before us"

The live " Cambridge" and "BBC" sets are OK.

I wasn't enamoured of the recent incarnations of the Albions at all. but that ( like Gottle on another thread) is a matter of personal taste.

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 02:43:06 AM »

All of my favorites have already been mentioned, so I'll back them up:

-Stella Maris: To me, their last trully rockin' album!
-Battle in the Field:  Earthy, pungent and understated.
-Rise Up Like the Sun:  ABSOLUTELY, MUST HAVE!  Probably my favorite folk-rock album of all time!  PLEASE!  Get this album!
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 07:51:30 PM »

Rise Up Like the Sun is a truly great album

The Lark Rise to Candleford soundtrack from the National Theatre productions is also vg.
jimc

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 09:04:03 PM »

Of the 90s on ones my favourite is probably Light Shining. Rise Up - I'l nineteenth that or whatever we're up to.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 11:23:55 AM »

Did the Stella Maris line-up also release Under the Rose? I quite liked that album but haven't listened to it for years. As far as I can recall it was in a similar vein as Stella Maris, but maybe a bit more laid back/not as ambitious.

Other Ashely Hutchings projects that are worth checking out are Morris On and The Compleat Dancing Master which are both collaborations with John Kirkpatrick and others. Can anyone recommend Rattlebone and Ploughjack? Sounds like an interesting experiment, but how listenable is it??

I concur with other posters that Rise Up Like The Sun is a bona-fide 5 star classic.
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 11:26:11 AM »

Just on t'subject of "Under the Rose" - it's the glaring gap in my Albions collection.

Is it deleted on CD - never seem to be able to find it??

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 11:55:44 AM »

I won't add to the 70s debate, needless to say 'Rise Up' and 'Battle of the Field' are must-haves, along with 'Lark Rise' - shortly to be re-released on Talking Elephant.

The 1980s line-ups were very different but equally worth hearing. Basically after the break-up in 1981 of the 'Lark Rise' line-up (most of the members had formed the Home Service), Ashley set out his stall for what turned out to be the rest of the life of the band and steered it in a contemporary direction, showcasing original writing by the band's members.

The first "contemporary" album, 'Light Shining', is a true classic and probably hasn't ever been bettered. 'Wolfe' is one of the finest songs the band's ever recorded. Along with it's instrumental sister album, 'Shuffle Off!', it's been criminally unavailable for 20 years but I CD'd both a while back so if anyone needs a copy...

Darren, interesting comments on 'Under The Rose'. Bizarrely I was listening to it yesterday so it's even fresher in my memory than usual. I know what you mean in terms of laidback, but unambitious would probably more relate to the arrangements than to the songwriting. Most of Ashley's best songwriting came in the 1982-1983ish period, things like 'The Rose & The Rock' and 'The Shipwreck' (incidentally not actually about a ship). As an album, 'Under The Rose' is an incredible collection of songs but it is perhaps a bit too focussed. 'The Rose & The Rock' was originally recorded for that album, and along with an instrumental or two would perhaps have broadened it a bit. Also, almost the whole album was originally arranged for the 'Light Shining' line-up, and then played live by that line-up, and the next line-up (retaining most of the 'Light Shining' band, including Jean-Pierre Rasle's superb pipes, but with Doug Morter replacing Simon). Listening to those recordings provides a rather interesting contrast to the released versions, a lot more musically interesting and less smooth.

'Stella Maris' is another favourite of mine, although I think mainly for the two songs carried over from 'Under The Rose', 'Orion's Belt' and 'The Rose & The Rock'. The rest of the album's very good too, although I sometimes struggle with 'The Task'. That was another excellent line-up, especially Martin Bell's violin, and it's a shame it didn't last longer. The mini-set on the Cambridge CD is a pretty good representation of their live set but there was so much more.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 02:01:33 PM »

Anyone interested in Lark Rise should know that there will be a one off performance of the show at this year's Towersey festival.

Two Oxfordshire theatre groups are combining for the event with some great local musicians. The production is being organised by Mick Jones who has written a number of plays similar in style to Lark Rise and whose play Morris on the Somme was a Radio 4 production some years ago.

Jackdaw
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 02:57:21 PM »

All been said really, but my favourites.....

Note that The Mysteries also stars Linda Thompson, Shirly Collins, Richard Thompson.....

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 03:10:19 PM »

Note that The Mysteries also stars Linda Thompson, Shirly Collins, Richard Thompson.....

well, Linda T sings on there a little, but RT and Shirley Collins are not on it.

Shirley is on "Lark Rise", though ...

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 09:19:27 PM »

Anyone interested in Lark Rise should know that there will be a one off performance of the show at this year's Towersey festival.

Not quite - it's also being performed for week each at two local (to Towersey) primary schools - Wheatley being one, but I've lost the flyer & can't remember t'other....

MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 01:35:16 AM »

I am stunned that no one has mentioned "Happy Accident" and "Along the Pilgrim's Way." Well, I guess I just did. Two of my very favorite records in any genre.
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 01:48:08 AM »

I can't find home service on amazon. Any other suggestions?  Thanks for all the nice advice.  Especially the jpegs.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Sir Martin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 10:54:42 AM »

I can't find home service on amazon. Any other suggestions?  Thanks for all the nice advice.  Especially the jpegs.

Huh?

amazon.co.uk worked for me!

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Sir Martin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 11:09:11 AM »

well, Linda T sings on there a little, but RT and Shirley Collins are not on it.

Shirley is on "Lark Rise", though ...

Bah - you are right - serves me right for doing things form memory, although Shirley was involved in the production somehow?

It does feature Phil Picket though....

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 11:51:23 AM »

Neither Shirley Collins or Richard Thompson were in The Mysteries.

But there is a remote Shirley Collins connection. The dancing for the show was devised by Dave Busby, who was married to Dolly Collins.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 12:23:37 PM »

Not quite - it's also being performed for week each at two local (to Towersey) primary schools - Wheatley being one, but I've lost the flyer & can't remember t'other....

I meant one off at Towersey.

the other perfromances are at Wheatley Primary School and in the grounds of the fabulous Garsingtom Manor. I am pretty sure it will only be three nights at each venue.

Jackdaw
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: