TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:23:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swarbrick, Pegg & Nicol  (Read 19458 times)
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 05:42:23 PM »

"The third, 'In The Club' has never appeared in any format other than it's original, limited release cassette format, until now. Fully remastered for CD and with previously unreleased bonus material."

That's a bit curious as I'm currently looking at a CD copy of "In The Club" issued in 2010 by Talking Elephant. As far as bonus material, yes, it has four extra tracks to the original cassette, but is shorn of the fifth bonus  track ("O'Carolan's Farewell To Music") on the 2010 issue.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2016, 07:08:12 PM »

"The third, 'In The Club' has never appeared in any format other than it's original, limited release cassette format, until now. Fully remastered for CD and with previously unreleased bonus material."

That's a bit curious as I'm currently looking at a CD copy of "In The Club" issued in 2010 by Talking Elephant. As far as bonus material, yes, it has four extra tracks to the original cassette, but is shorn of the fifth bonus track ("O'Carolan's Farewell To Music") on the 2010 issue.  Smiley

Hmm, good point.  It's worth bearing in mind though that Talking Elephant are often a wee bit borderline when it comes to legitimacy.  That point of view may well be behind those words you quoted.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2016, 07:34:30 PM »

That's a bit curious as I'm currently looking at a CD copy of "In The Club" issued in 2010 by Talking Elephant. As far as bonus material, yes, it has four extra tracks to the original cassette, but is shorn of the fifth bonus  track ("O'Carolan's Farewell To Music") on the 2010 issue.  Smiley

Yes I have the 2010 reissue too. It was released alongside When We Were Very Young.

As for the legitimacy of Talking Elephant, I think everything they do is fully licensed and above board. Indeed Ashley Hutchings works quite closely with them on his reissues. But their information and publicity can be wayward and often severely lacking. Proper have obviously swallowed TE's press release wholesale.
folkfreak (Alexander)
My EMI doesn't have the dropouts

Loc: Ludwigshafen, Germany

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 02:59:23 PM »

Its the third CD release already, but I did not expect anything different from Talking Elephant.
For me one of the big rip-of companies
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 05:16:28 PM »

Talking Elephant.
For me one of the big rip-of companies

Care to elaborote?  I know for a fact (don't ask me how) they have purchased boot CDs and then released them.  One could argue that is actually restoring the 'ripped off' product to the artist.  Having said all of that...there is more than the hint of 'that will do then' about the vast majority of their releases I have owned.  And their covers seem to be almost uniformly dreadful....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 05:36:03 PM »

Having said all of that...there is more than the hint of 'that will do then' about the vast majority of their releases I have owned.  And their covers seem to be almost uniformly dreadful....

Amen.  And as for recording or personnel information - forget it.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »

Didn't see that trio but saw another one - Nicol, Mattacks & Whetstone, at the Sunnyside in Northampton in 1989. Do any recordings of that trio exist?

Never even knew that trio existed.  Wouldn't mind a listen myself if any did.

i think i might have a wax cylinder of that particular trio, but i just cant find the damned thing!

it being a murky old day, with not much going on,I am having a sort out and have just found my copy of their radio session on one of my hard drives

The Dude abides
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2016, 04:09:30 PM »

I just found out this had a vinyl reissue too, on the very nice Music on Vinyl label. 2010.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2016, 06:24:48 PM »

Me too....signed!

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: