TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:38:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 822492 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2080 on: Today at 07:56:17 AM »

John Bramwell and the Full Harmonic Trio in Chester last night.  

Just the most wondrous gig - musically, practically, everything.  John knows how to write a beautiful song - every single one of his can touch the heart in a very special way and some of them, oh my God...

If the trio are in your neck of the woods (and they are) don't miss out...

https://johnbramwell.com/tours

He really is superb. Were his song intros up to their usual standard? eg. 'This is another song about drinking, and disaster'.

Its a shame I Am Kloot never really made it. Hopefully John will get some recognition one day. He deserves a far higher profile.

Unusually he was stone cold sober (designated driver duty apparently) - sipping a pint throughout but only having about half of it.  He was wryly funny - lots of engagement.  I do think Dave Fidler has made a significant positive contribution to John's life and career  - and not just musically.  His own set was bloody excellent too.  Having been in a crowd of 2000 people watching I am Kloot and singing every single word, I think that 'never really making it' needs some contextualisation.  I'm not sure John would still be around today if they had massive success, mind...Who knows.  

If you don't know this guy, for your own sake, in the name of all that is holy do check him out...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #2081 on: Today at 09:20:19 AM »

John Bramwell and the Full Harmonic Trio in Chester last night.  

Just the most wondrous gig - musically, practically, everything.  John knows how to write a beautiful song - every single one of his can touch the heart in a very special way and some of them, oh my God...

If the trio are in your neck of the woods (and they are) don't miss out...

https://johnbramwell.com/tours

He really is superb. Were his song intros up to their usual standard? eg. 'This is another song about drinking, and disaster'.

Its a shame I Am Kloot never really made it. Hopefully John will get some recognition one day. He deserves a far higher profile.

Unusually he was stone cold sober (designated driver duty apparently) - sipping a pint throughout but only having about half of it.  He was wryly funny - lots of engagement.  I do think Dave Fidler has made a significant positive contribution to John's life and career  - and not just musically.  His own set was bloody excellent too.  Having been in a crowd of 2000 people watching I am Kloot and singing every single word, I think that 'never really making it' needs some contextualisation.  I'm not sure John would still be around today if they had massive success, mind...Who knows.  

If you don't know this guy, for your own sake, in the name of all that is holy do check him out...

Fair enough it does require some context. I suppose somewhere towards what Elbow achieved, at a level that could have sustained the band but not pushed them over the edge. I don't hear many I am Kloot songs on 6 music, let alone Radio 2, and not many people I know, and who would definitely like them, have even heard of them. But as you allude to, be careful what you wish for.

I think the last couple of times I've seen him (last was 2022) he was designated driver, which raised a bit of a laugh from the audience when he mentioned it.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2082 on: Today at 09:23:47 AM »

I think the last couple of times I've seen him (last was 2022) he was designated driver, which raised a bit of a laugh from the audience when he mentioned it.

I did wonder if it was just a jokey polite way of saying "I'm not drinking sh1tloads and please don't offer me a drink"

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: