TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:37:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy off-season reccie...  (Read 7337 times)
RichardH

Loc: London N19

« on: March 19, 2007, 09:43:56 AM »

For reasons which are off topic, Friday saw me cycling through Northants, Warwicks, and North Oxfordshire with the need for an overnight stay before going on to Oxford.

So, with a family ticket booked for a first-ever Cropredy this August, I put up at The Brasenose. Perfectly pleasant, comfortable, nice steak. It will come into its own when the garden can be used...

The Red Lion - all gastroed up!

It's easier to believe that a Civil War battle occurred on those fields than a long running festival. I look forward to being proved wrong....
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 09:44:56 AM »

...  and you will be.... Grin Grin Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 01:07:13 PM »

Hello RichardH

You've just given me a great idea for a weekend away before August. I've only ever seen Cropredy full of folkies and cars, a pleasant weekend with the motorcaravan beckons!

Thanks!

Bridgwit   Tiara

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 04:19:15 PM »

I was in Cropredy on 4th Feb this year for the rejoice the voice workshop.  It was a beautiful day, even sat in The Red Lion garden drinking cider.  I had my friend take a couple of photo's in the arena field when totally empty, then at Cropredy in August i'm going to stand in the same spots and have the photo's taken again mid festival.  OOh little things etc.

Not been for a while
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 05:16:33 PM »

On the Monday after the Chipping Norton gig I found myself near to Cropredy at lunchtime and went for a quick bite at the Brasenose (parking near the Red Lion always being rather fraught), to find they were not doing food at lunchtime. Being too idle to shift round to the Red Lion I settled for coffee on the front lawn. It felt like spring. Bet it doesn't today.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Miguel Cajon (Mick)
having Nuts educating me
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 05:35:43 PM »

It's easier to believe that a Civil War battle occurred on those fields than a long running festival. I look forward to being proved wrong....

I dunno, you'll see a Civil War of sorts when the TaWers meet up at the Cricket Club on Thursday, a year's worth of board grudges to argue about, scrapping to get to the bar etc....

Only joking of course... Wink

Loving it
Neil Morrell
Candlestick in the Library
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: St Helens, Lancs

Be careful Mr President - I think he's drunkkk!

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 07:51:26 PM »

I've driven through a couple of times.  Once on Maundy Thursday 2000 shortly after deciding to abandon the motorway at about 6pm (had left work in Crawley at about 1.30), and once again about a fortnight after the 2002 festival.

Strangely quiet.................

No longer active on TAW.  Cheers Y'all!!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 12:35:28 AM »

In a similar vein and only slightly off topic, I once went to a conference in the newly-opened Millennium stadium in Cardiff. I sneaked out of the function room during one session for a fag and nipped into the main stadium to smoke it, to find I was the only person there! It was a bit odd, but the best thing was in my mind I could hear cheering and Welsh voices singing Bread of Heaven ...

Quite a moment!  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 05:22:49 AM »

It was a bit odd, but the best thing was in my mind I could hear cheering and Welsh voices singing Bread of Heaven ...

Quite a moment!  Smiley

or even 'Cwm Rhondda' ...  Roll Eyes  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 08:44:46 AM »

Only time I've been there was in the early spring about 12 years ago. A previous landlord at the Red Lion was discussing with some customers how much money he took on Festie week! It sounded a lot, but good luck to him!
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 09:04:24 AM »

Hello RichardH

You've just given me a great idea for a weekend away before August. I've only ever seen Cropredy full of folkies and cars, a pleasant weekend with the motorcaravan beckons!

Thanks!

Bridgwit   Tiara

Aha! Like my first Cropredy - We went hoping to get in on the gate on the Saturday but just happened to choose the wrong weekend!  Roll Eyes

Enjoyed chatting to a nice lady at Cropredy Church about the festival, no beer bottles left in the Church yard but there was a Fairport Convention hat in the porch of the Church!

Haven't got it wrong since tho!  Tiara

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 05:53:15 PM »

It was a bit odd, but the best thing was in my mind I could hear cheering and Welsh voices singing Bread of Heaven ...

Quite a moment!  Smiley

or even 'Cwm Rhondda' ...  Roll Eyes  Wink

Som distant relivite of our minister wrote the words to the hymn with that tune!! Smiley

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: