TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:19:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP Swarb  (Read 86075 times)
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2016, 12:19:39 AM »

Thanks Jim, I knew I hadn't got the spelling quite right.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2016, 02:03:38 AM »

Sadly, I don't have permission to look at that. I may have been blocked by Jill and Dave at some point, I haven't a clue why.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2016, 02:43:03 AM »

As a detester and avoider of BaceFook who managed to access the post from the link..I presume I'm not breaking any rules - and if I am, I think under the circumstances I'll take my chances. So here it is, in all it's painful beauty:

David Swarbrick
9 hrs ·

To all Swarb's Facemates

Where to begin......

I am in total shock and deep grief, it is very difficult to just live at the moment.

It is still a shock for me, a massive shock, that Dave has passed on.

It was the most beautiful and fitting passing that he so very much deserved after so many years of suffering from the awful emphysema and lately, the sepsis and double pneumonia both of which he survived with nearly 12 years of fabulous health and music and merriment gifted by an unknown, anonymous hero who we should all salute for allowing so much wonderful music and joy that was Swarb to be seen and listened to!
My bloke was a one off! A huge character. How do I live on any such level after him? Impossible.
He was totally unique. You add the words you think guys...
He was GREAT!
I loved him so very much, even though he could be , erm..."tricky", but then, aren't we all? He was open though and there was never any chips on his shoulders, he wanted everyone to be pals and impossibly, live on his standard of music.
He did a lot for charity secretly.
Visiting people/fans in hospices and encouraging anyone young or old to follow their hearts and practice hard if they wanted to play the fiddle better etc.
He had loads of time for youngsters and loved all his children, grandkids and great grandkids.

His last three weeks when he came home from hospital were sublime!
The sun shone, he enjoyed so much the view of the meadow from his studio and bedroom of all the buttercups and visiting birds singing... Glorious weather too.
We were both so happy, and of course so was Ruby dog. They slept together and she was always on his lap wagging her tail.

What a life! Music! What genius! To have been married to this man is a gift and I am enriched by having known him and been loved by him.
So, Life it carries on. But definitely without the sparkle, the sound of that fiddle in the house, the fun and love...

Thank you for, well, impossible to say what...just EVERYTHING! You made his life so happ and colourful and you gave Dave so much joy backTOO you know. Yeah!

I must just give a huge thank you to Bronglais Hospital in Aberystwyth, especially the ICU team.
What a jewel we have in these people! Treasure them, for they are rare.
I have never known such love and compassion in my whole life.
Dave's time there, on both addmissions, but especially this week, was very, very special. He slid off and away over 24 hours on a slow beautiful "glissando", without a second of pain or struggle. He was treated with the utmost love and dignity including after he had gone. A fitting passing for such a difficult life of knackered lungs and disability. Thank you Bronglais xxx

Dave was crystal clear that he did not like honours and awards, in fact he was very embarassed by them, he believed that the music should stand as his testament and legacy.

After hearing particularly about Bowie's death which was quiet, private and discreet , he was absolutely adamant that he didn't want a funeral " What's the fun in it when people just cry and feel sad? I don't want that. Iwant everyone to celebrate and be happy. Perhaps a big bash with all my mates and anyone else you can arrange "Gorge" a bit later " - He called me "Gorge" a lot and I always took it as short for gorgeous not the chasm !
So, following Dave's instructions, there will be no official funeral which follows his own definite wishes to me, his next of kin.
Other family members may wish to have their own loving tribute and farewell of sorts and I truly bless them with their own plans
XXX

So, when his ashes have cooled down a bit, keep watching this space regarding the final big gig he wanted. I have no idea how it will pan out yet, I am not able to think of long term plans, but he did want to make his last gig the Royal Albert Hall!
Food for thought guys.

He loved you all and loved this Facebook lark.
I heard him chuckling at night as he read your stuff. Brilliant.

Remember that Life and Lives are ALL about LOVE.
Keep loving, keep being nice and a final rousing round of applause for Swarb !
ps. Keep playing his music too x

So much love to you all

Thank you

Jill and Ruby dog xx

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2016, 10:32:58 AM »

Haven't been online as away on holiday then came back to such dreadful news. Feel very blessed to have seen and met the man who was for me the greatest folk musician of my time. The ferry crossing back from France was almost exactly the same length as the Swarb box set, so it passed very quickly. Particularly lovely to hear Byker Hill from Carthy's 60th party and Sloth with Simon. Some of the instrumentals are exhausting.

I saw Swarb and Carthy at Didcot a few years ago and have never seen such obvious love between two musicians. Carthy told a lovely story from their early years. Swarb was filming Madding Crowd in Dorset and was late for their gig in London. Carthy soldiered on and then suddenly Swarb arrived, rushed on stage and opened his violin case to find...nothing. He had left his fiddle on the film set back in Dorset!

He was a unique genius and we are lucky to have shared time with him.
Steve with the black dog
Your fox is male
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: The rainy Lake District

So little time, so much to do

« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2016, 11:38:06 AM »

Dear Swarb

I only met you once, but you have been with me for most of my life.  You have inspired me. Every time I lift up the lid and listen, I am swept away.

Thanks, Swarb.  See you later.

Love to all who miss you.  May their hearts remember how to sing.

We were none of us worthy.

Steve

A simple life, voluntarily chosen, can be a source of strength.
folkfreak (Alexander)
My EMI doesn't have the dropouts

Loc: Ludwigshafen, Germany

« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2016, 02:10:05 PM »

I just follow his instructions and move my body to an earbleeding loud Sir B. MacKenzie from Live Convention
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2016, 03:55:18 PM »

Mark and I feel numb and I woke up thinking it was a bad dream. We had the pleasure of working with him and more importantly he was a chum. He was there for me when I needed encouragement, using colourful language that made me howl with laughter. We shall miss him more than words can express xx

Caz

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2016, 05:46:13 PM »

A very moving and beautiful message from Jill.  Was in tears reading that....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2016, 10:10:37 PM »

Very, very moving tributes. So pleased I got to see him live on numerous occassions in recent years, both with Fairport and solo

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2016, 02:00:22 AM »

Mark and I feel numb and I woke up thinking it was a bad dream. We had the pleasure of working with him and more importantly he was a chum. He was there for me when I needed encouragement, using colourful language that made me howl with laughter. We shall miss him more than words can express xx

Caz

Hugs m'dears

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2016, 10:06:15 AM »

RIP Swarb.
Thank you for your great music.
Your music and its beauty and joy will stay with us.

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2016, 10:52:40 AM »

Nice piece by Dewey Gurell in Poland, lifted from FB:

"A (rambling stream-of-consciousness) TRIBUTE TO THE MAN THEY CALLED "SWARB"

The great Dave Swarbrick has left us. I know that name may not be as familiar to some of you as the music royalty that have recently passed on, but for many of us, this is more than just the latest death in this very cruel year. Chances are pretty good that Swarb had more influence on the music you grew up listening to than you realize as well. Please allow me a moment to pay tribute to this incredible musician, colorful character, and from all accounts, wonderful human being.
Although starting as more of a kind of West-Coast-Jefferson-Airplane-sounding-Bob-Dylan-covering-folk-influenced-psychedelic-rock-band, by the recording of their third album (Unhalfbricking), Fairport Convention had devised the completely original concept of marrying traditional British folk music with electric rock instruments. Seriously, no one had ever done it before - Jethro Tull were still a blues rock outfit in 1969, and there was yet to be any signs of "rock" in The Strawbs acoustic songs or Pentangle's jazzy folk. Violinist (that's fiddler to the folkies) Dave Swarbrick was already well- established in the British folk world for his work with the Ian Campbell Folk Group and the great singer/songwriter Martin Carthy, and when Fairport needed violin for their trippy exploration on the traditional English lament, "A Sailor's Life" (as well as a few others on the album), he was the perfect counterbalance to Richard Thompson's mind-blowing languid guitar, and the plaintive mournful beauty of the voice of Sandy Denny. Not only was he up to the task, his playing gave the song a timeless quality that transformed Fairport into innovators forging a new path none had previously walked - one foot in antiquity and tradition, the other unafraid to ROCK.
Seriously, there was NOTHING like it before. In the same fashion as In The Court Of The Crimson King, or Pet Sounds, or the first Black Sabbath and Ramones albums, this was something NEW! Fairport had found its voice, and in doing so invented British Folk Rock. Their next album, first with Swarb as a full member, Liege And Lief, is one of the greatest and most influential albums ever, and still tops many critics' and fans' lists of the greatest folk rock LPs of all-time almost a half century later, because...well, it still sounds amazing. The traditional storytelling drama of epics like "Matty Groves", and "Tam Lin", the beautiful melancholy of "Reynardine" and "Crazy Man Michael", and the high energy rocking adaptation of jigs and reels in "The Lark in the Morning" medley, all combining acoustic and electric progressive-minded arrangements, broke down barriers and inspired a generation to explore the folk tradition, and make it their own. You may have heard of a few of them - Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, and Ian Anderson are some of the most famous, but a direct line of influence can be traced from Fairport through other influential bands of the 1970s like Gentle Giant, who added it to their 'anything goes' prog rock ethos, and bands such as Horslips and later The Pogues who took the folk rock concept but put their inimitable Irishness into it.
In the 1980s, All About Eve came from the British goth scene, but although she sounded a bit like Siouxsie on their earliest recordings, singer Julianne Regan's true spirit in performance, voice, and songwriting had more in common with Sandy Denny. AAE brought folk rock to the black clad masses weaned on The Cure and Bauhaus, and Fairport's Ric Sanders, as well as Swarb's band mate in Whippersnapper (and future Fairporter) Chris Leslie both appeared with 'the Eves'. The band were also featured guests at Fairport's annual Cropredy festival. Their first two albums are absolute classics that laid the groundwork for a new kind of dark gothic folk rock, and both were reissued last year in fantastic 2 disc Deluxe Editions that are stunning, if you're interested.
In America, along came the mighty Tempest, led by the great Norwegian Lief Sørbye, whose playful exuberance onstage and many fine albums embody the spirit of Fairport to this day. They are still one of the greatest live bands that you could ever hope to see, and they tour often.
In the 1990's, The Wonder Stuff - one of my absolute favorite bands of all time - became an enormous stadium act in Britain with a sound that was born of equal parts Fairport, the attitude of punk rock, the melodic sense of Lennon, and a heavy dose of the nineties 'Age of Irony.'
And still it goes on - in the progressive rock world, Steven Wilson, probably the most important musician in that genre of this century, has been effusive in his praise of FC, and just this week, prog artists Big Big Train released the tellingly titled Folklore, which owes a huge debt to the 1970s British folk rock era in general, and Fairport in particular.
Meanwhile in Italy, there's a band called Cirque des Rêves who are taking the whole idea of the folk rock aesthetic as created by Fairport, and mixing it with Italian romanticism and a dream-like cabaret atmosphere - all led by an absolutely astounding young singer named Lisa Starnini. They are the next step in this evolution, and definitive proof that, as long as imagination lives, originality is still possible, even in a music business that punishes true artists and rewards the insipid. Soon you will get the chance to hear their incredible Mirabilia album, and I predict that many of you will be amazed. They are truly doing something you've never heard before.
And that's without even considering the many types of heavy metal that have developed in this century which integrate elements of British and Celtic folk in a progression that can be directly traced back to...you know who.

So why am I talking about a bunch of other artists in a tribute to Dave Swarbrick? Because...dominoes, you know? He was part of the creation of something that is still evolving today. And if that, along with the incredible music he made, was the sum total of Swarb's legacy, it would be pretty impressive. But it's only part of the story...
As a band, Fairport Convention weathered tragedies and major personnel changes too numerous to detail here - look it up, you won't believe it. But suffice to say, they have had one of the most eventful histories in rock, and Swarb is a major part of why they were able to survive losing such one of a kind brilliant talents as Sandy Denny and Richard Thompson. During Swarb's era, under his care, they crafted some fantastic, underrated albums (Tipplers Tales, Nine, The Bonny Bunch Of Roses), and at least one that is better forgotten (Gottle O'Geer), but problems with his hearing from loud amplification led him to leave and form the acoustic Whippersnapper in the early 1980s, though he reappeared with them (and they with him) countless times since.
And he never really stopped touring and recording as long as he was at all able, despite health issues that would have sidelined a much younger man. He was a mentor to future Fairport members Maartin Allcock and Chris Leslie, without whom the band might never have survived (although there's no killing off Fairport - not EVER!) but beyond all of that, I think there's a bigger picture, a legacy beyond a resumé of musical accomplishments.

It's to do with music and spirituality. And while there's surely a better way to put it, please bear with me as I try;
Every time some young person hears Liege And Lief or Full House, and FEELS a resonance, an odd ancestral thread like a spiritual link that joins our subconscious with the past in a supernatural way - they will then embark on a lifelong journey of exploration of this incredible musical world outside the mainstream that, for those of us who can feel it, is more powerful than any religion. For lots of people - especially American kids in the 1970s like myself who didn't grow up knowing a lot about English folk music - Fairport (and subsequently Steeleye Span, The Strawbs, Jethro Tull, and so many others) were nothing less than musical time travel agents who changed our lives by introducing us to a parallel universe. One that we felt far more connected to than the one in which we lived.

I never met Mr. Swarbrick or even got to see him perform, but in the late 1980s, I became friendly with the Fairport guys, particularly the great multi-instrumentalist Maartin Allcock and bassist extraordinaire Dave Pegg (both of whom were also in Jethro Tull for a time), and some of the greatest nights of my life were spent in bars, hotel rooms, and even parking garages across the northeastern United States drinking, smoking, laughing, and hearing fantastic stories about Swarb, and Sandy, and the British folk revival of the 1960s. I am very honored to say that Maart has been a very good friend to me throughout the years.
I only mention that because I think that there's a sense of family around Fairport that supersedes who comes and goes in the lineup, or how much one happens to like the current incarnation. Over 25 people have come and gone, at least 6 of which are no longer with us, and, like most of this 'family', I consider myself a Fairport fan for life, regardless of whatever my opinion of the new album or current lineup is.
It's bigger than that. It's about longevity and tradition and survival. It's about thousand year old murder ballads that are as fresh as yesterday's headlines. And it's about the sound of a fiery fiddle "to rouse the spirit of the earth and move the rolling sky."
That's the legacy of Dave Swarbrick.

In my fantasy vision of the afterlife, there's a mighty session going on tonight with Swarb, Sandy, Trevor Lucas, Martin Lamble, Bruce Rowland (two drummers - the mind reels!), and all the other greats who have gone.
And I hope someday I can check it out (not too soon, of course...)

Thank you Mr. Swarbrick.

- Dewey
4th June 2016"

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2016, 10:55:28 AM »

Apologies for double posting, but I thought this obit from the New York Times worth sharing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/05/arts/music/dave-swarbrick-british-folk-fiddler-dies-at-75.html

koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2016, 04:21:10 PM »

It was 1988. I was 20, and read something in a Dutch music magazine called OOR ("Ear") about one Sandy Denny, a singer/songwriter who had passed away aged just 32, 10 years earlier. I was intrigued by what I read, and in a weird impulse I bought the just-released 4-LP box set on the Hannibal label, at the Concerto record store in Amsterdam.
I was absolutely hooked and totally gobsmacked by what I heard. It was as if I had found my musical home. Many an evening with curtains closed, lights out, headphones on.
From Sandy I got to Fairport Convention, and once there I discovered such a vast wealth of varied music, from traditional to rock - Albion Band, Richard/Linda Thompson, Whippersnapper, Steeleye, Carthy, etc etc.
Hovering over all this were a few key figures. David Swarbrick was one.
So. Less than a year after discovering Sandy's music, which truly opened musical floodgates for me, I found myself at the holy ground of Cropredy, and how delighted I was when Swarb guested with Fairport on, I believe, Sir Patrick Spens. It was 1989 and it felt like witnessing The Beatles!
After that I of course found out these people were all rather down to earth and approachable. Cropredy was the base of many an international friendship.  
But I never forget discovering this music. Be it in the dark with headphones on and curtains (and eyes) closed, or on a walkman (remember those?) whilst walking long distance footpaths in England - THIS was my musical world, and it basically remained so ever since - and Dave Swarbrick was one of its prime movers and shakers.
So though in the light of his health issues over the years Swarb's passing may not come as the hugest of surprises, and though I did meet, but not actually know him, and though in 1999 it would have been wholly incomprehensible that he'd live for another seventeen years, most of these as an active and gigging musician too, it does kinda feel like losing part of - well, youth, whatever it is.

So long, Swarb. Now there was a one-off.
gordon
Tankard ? Definitely !
n3wb

« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2016, 12:12:14 AM »

Took a road trip with Viking friends last year, Jurassic Coast. En route they saw Corfe, but it was sunny sunday, and I wanted to show them Maiden anyway. Explained to them about Hardy Country, and the only film ever to adequately represent and celebrate the place in it's time, 'Far from the Madding Crowd'. Not sure, or bothered, whether they really got it but on retiring later, put the telly on to get the weather. Flicking through to find it I got Troy, cajouling Bathsheba at Maiden, so had to see it through, Swarb's 2 Seconds in the barn at Abbotsbury being very special, and intrinsic to the feel of that whole piece. G
Hans Valk
Most of you can't read Dutch, I suppose

Loc: Dordrecht, The Netherlands

« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2016, 12:54:11 PM »

I saw Swarb (and FC, for that matter) for the first and only time in 1976, in a place called Vlaardingen, during a folkfestival that was held there.
It was the time just before the release of the  'Bonny bunch of roses' album. I have vivid memories of him singing the song of the same name, which he did very well. Swarb was more than a fine fiddleplayer. Although never a purist, traditional folkmusic was under his skin and he could 'live' a long ballad, as well as play lightning fast jigs and reels. He was there at the birth of traditional folkrock. From 1971 on, Swarb was FC for ten years.
And thats only Fairport. He and Martin Carthy were a duo off-and-on for almost fifty years. And there was much more
He was there, all the time. And now he is not, anymore. He will be missed.

Most of you can't read Dutch, I suppose, but I have written my own small obituary on my blog: http://moedwil-en-misverstand.blogspot.nl/2016/06/dave-swarbrick.html
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2016, 04:19:35 PM »

Whilst cleaning the house this morning I put on Swarb playing , My hearts in New South Wales.
The song Sheen and I got married to. She sat down, listened and shed a tear for the past and for Swarb. Beautiful.
Kathryn
A sucker for a hurdy-gurdy

Loc: Lincolnville Beach, Maine, USA

« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2016, 09:16:58 PM »

This is such sad news....my thoughts and prayers go to Jill and all Swarb's family and friends.

Me, I'm trying to stop tears and, I think, boring my summer tenants with repeated playing so of every bit of Swarb's music. So happy I was blessed with seeing him in person, devastated I won't have the chance to see him again till we meet on the ledge.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2016, 09:48:04 PM »

Most of you can't read Dutch, I suppose,

That is where you are mistaken. We can read it. We just can't understand it!  Wink

(Wasn't sure whether to risk a little levity on this thread. But I don't think Swarb would mind.)
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2016, 12:15:42 AM »

Most of you can't read Dutch, I suppose,

That is where you are mistaken. We can read it. We just can't understand it!  Wink

(Wasn't sure whether to risk a little levity on this thread. But I don't think Swarb would mind.)

Ace.  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: