TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:10:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Cropredy Cup  (Read 66346 times)
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2011, 12:48:49 AM »

Full House.  Not even close.

We need to do one of these tournaments without the predictable winners included.

That's kind of what I tried to do by excluding last year's winners and bringing in guest artists and yet...

I do have an idea though to bring in some very heavy hitters for the next tournament and stir things up a bit.

Meanwhile my vote goes to Rise Up Like The Sun. Fairport brought me into this music and Full House is my favourite of their records  but Rise Up for me is the pinnacle of the folk rock genre, outstripping even Liege & Lief, a towering achievement. Sloth is of course mighty fine but always better in live recordings and for me The Gresford Disaster is its equal and a track that makes my jaw drop on every listen.

I was with you until 'outstripping Liege and Lief'. I Loved Rise Up, i was seeing a lot of Ashley and Tams in stuff at the National Theatre at the time but trite as it may be, L and L was a seminal album which took me in to different musical genres.
Slight off thread moment. Rather like Peel standing in tears first time he saw Bhundu Boys cos he thought he would never find something that touched him again.
Pretentious? Moi?

Without meaning to go further off topic, L&L wasn't that great an album IMO. Influenial, yes, but compare it with both RULTS and Full House (or No Roses, or many, many other albums), then it's not that great. L&L IMO was very much testing the water, and much better things followed it.

It's ok, I didn't bother taking my coat off.

Ollie i agree with you and i will probably now sound like an old f**t.[if the cap fits......] Yes Lo L was testing the water but there really had been nothing English like it before.(you could argue the Byrds and the Band were already going down an electric folk  route in the states)  I was 17ish when it first came out and i heard it, I was already going to folk clubs but they were still a bit reverential and still part of the 'purist' folk revival.] Land L was like putting your finger in the mains and it led me to Nick Drake, John Martyn, Tir na Nog,Keith Christmas,Christy Moore, Fotheringay, Steeleye, Gryphon ,Pentangle Zeppelin ,Tull,Horslips. Planxty etc etc..
No it probably isn;t their best album musically, you are a musician, I'm a drummer and seriously I cannot be that objective, but as a landmark album and a period of my youth  I remember vividly for the excitement of discovering new music, it cannot be topped.

Oh I don't deny any of that. But when comparing albums, I like to take them at face value, and if you do that with L&L, it's good, but not as good as people make it out to be.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2011, 01:04:35 AM »

Which people exactly, young opinion-former? And how good do they (erroniously) think it is?
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2011, 05:27:42 AM »

I shall be listening to both today and will report my scores later.

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2011, 06:02:15 AM »

Full House will of course win but for me it's Rise Up Like The Sun, and it's not even close.  Full House is a very good album but Rise Up Like The Sun is a great one, up there with Handful of Earth, Penguin Eggs and a few others  (as is Alright Jack, mutter, mutter...)

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2011, 07:50:33 AM »

Listened again to FH and RULTS yesterday evening and RULTS has just this extra something...
so my vote goes to Rise Up Like the Sun
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2011, 08:42:08 AM »

L&L, it's good, but not as good as people make it out to be.

I think it's as good as I make it out to be!  Seriously, the first time I heard Liege & Lief I was blown away and declared it to be a masterpiece.  And that was in about 2002, so it's not like I knew the album from way back.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2011, 08:48:56 AM »

Full House.  Not even close.

We need to do one of these tournaments without the predictable winners included.

That's kind of what I tried to do by excluding last year's winners and bringing in guest artists and yet...

I do have an idea though to bring in some very heavy hitters for the next tournament and stir things up a bit.

Meanwhile my vote goes to Rise Up Like The Sun. Fairport brought me into this music and Full House is my favourite of their records  but Rise Up for me is the pinnacle of the folk rock genre, outstripping even Liege & Lief, a towering achievement. Sloth is of course mighty fine but always better in live recordings and for me The Gresford Disaster is its equal and a track that makes my jaw drop on every listen.

I was with you until 'outstripping Liege and Lief'. I Loved Rise Up, i was seeing a lot of Ashley and Tams in stuff at the National Theatre at the time but trite as it may be, L and L was a seminal album which took me in to different musical genres.
Slight off thread moment. Rather like Peel standing in tears first time he saw Bhundu Boys cos he thought he would never find something that touched him again.
Pretentious? Moi?

I'm sort of with Ollie on this. L&L is definitely the more important album and influential album. It was groundbreaking and the recent remaster has really brought it to life for me. It is rightly lauded as being the original. Rise Up cannot make any claims to that level of innovation. English folk rock was well established and perhaps even fading by the time it appeared but as a listen, as Ollie says, for me it takes the L&L template and improves upon it That is quite something.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2011, 08:53:22 AM »

I think Liege and Lief is even better than I make it out to be.  Smiley
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2011, 09:24:52 AM »

Having bought both Full House and RULtS when they first came out, and loved them both till the grooves grew deep, RULtS is the one that I bought on every successive new format, and was the first album to make it to my MP3... -nuff said!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #149 on: July 22, 2011, 09:31:06 AM »

Full House for me.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #150 on: July 22, 2011, 10:23:54 AM »

After relistening to both and many changes of mind.  My vote goes to RULTS just for the word ARSE in poor old horse.  A shallow decision possibly  but its made Smiley

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #151 on: July 22, 2011, 11:22:55 AM »

So so hard but for me to choose butit will have to be Full House just for the sheer fact that having lost two members the band brought in a new bass player and continued on without skipping a beat! Also of course for the magnificent Sloth! Smiley

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #152 on: July 22, 2011, 11:36:54 AM »

A close-run race, but RULTS takes it by the nose of poor old horse
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #153 on: July 22, 2011, 12:10:06 PM »

Disregarding memories, opinions and historical contexts (or at least trying to!) and listening as objectively as I can to the originally-released versions of both albums purely as (coherent) collections of pieces of music, then I'd say... Full House, by a whisker.

I then listened to the extended, remastered CD versions, and this time Rise Up just shaded it.

So I tossed a coin, and... Rise Up Like The Sun won!

Flobbadob!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2011, 12:14:22 PM »

Disregarding memories, opinions and historical contexts (or at least trying to!) and listening as objectively as I can to the originally-released versions of both albums purely as (coherent) collections of pieces of music, then I'd say... Full House, by a whisker.

I then listened to the extended, remastered CD versions, and this time Rise Up just shaded it.

For me Full House becomes truly special when you factor in the extended, remastered version.  Poor Will, Now Be Thankful and Bonny Bunch Of Roses are all first class.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2011, 01:00:01 PM »

I'm just crossing everything in the hope we get at least a couple of tracks from both over the course of the weekend... Could be a great one!
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #156 on: July 22, 2011, 05:12:31 PM »

Close, but Full House just edges it for me.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #157 on: July 23, 2011, 01:56:36 PM »

It has to be Full House, which I still think to be Fairport's greatest achievement, but RULTS is a brilliant album nonetheless, and shall be a worthy runner up  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #158 on: July 23, 2011, 04:14:15 PM »

Onr more for Full House!

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #159 on: July 23, 2011, 04:22:03 PM »

Full House is an amazing akbum frpm a band reformong after the loss of two amazing talents BUT for me Rise up like the sun is the onethat a return to and listen to more, abd the title track is one of my face ever folk rock songs. Bring on the Albions.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: