TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:51:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandy tribute at South Bank Centre, 1 December  (Read 77658 times)
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2008, 01:08:03 PM »

here, here, well said that man
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2008, 01:08:17 PM »

Andrew

No need to justify yourself or the choices you made. As far as I can see the dissenting voices are very few and in some cases didn't even attend so can be politely ignored.

Certainly I spoke to a couple of non-folkies for whom the night was a revelation and they were keen to learn more about Sandy and her music - job done!

On the programmes, yes please do offer them by mail order; they'd all been snaffled by the time I realised there were any.

Thanks again for a great night

Roger

I don't think Andrew ever posts here.That was what he had to say about it at the Sandy Denny group site.You can contact him there.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2008, 02:46:02 PM »

SandyDennyList@yahoogroups.com
jjjudy

« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2008, 06:51:04 PM »

Perhaps capturing the spirit of a woman in her prime requires musicians of a similar age and energy level. So it all worked out fine.

The "not necessarily Bellowhead" house band on the evening was that -- energetic, young, appropriate backup for the featured artists, and deserving of all compliments. It was especially nice to see one of them step forward to the mike for a solo, and to learn that one of them (the drummer?) did the arrangements.

And could I also put in a vote for Johnny Flynn.

Strobe lights and blown speakers
Fireworks and hurricanes
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2008, 12:14:11 AM »

I know nothing at all about Bellowhead except i may or may not have seen them on Monday night ! Did i see them ? I thought Andrew said a couple were missing.The lad who did Bushes and Briars,and all the others for that matter,were great.
martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2008, 10:00:37 AM »

Billy, the house band on Monday evening,with the exception of Jerry Donahue and Sam Carter, are all members of Bellowhead.

The reason for referring to them as NOT Bellowhead, is because the two front men in Bellowhead, John Spiers & Jon Boden were not in attendance.

Bellowhead members who played;

Paul Sartin, violin/oboe/piano
Benji Kirkpatrick, bouzouki/mandolin/acoustic guitar
Andy Mellon, piano/trumpet
Pete Flood, drums/percussion
Sam Sweeny,violin/viola
John Bridgewood, acoustic bass

musical arrangements by Peter Flood and Andy Mellon

I agree with you, they were absolutely fantastic.
folkynewbie
ANONYMOUS MEMBER
n3wb

« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2008, 10:21:14 AM »

Hi Martin,

I'd have thought the reason that the house band on Monday were not referred to as Bellowhead was not because Spiers and Boden weren't there, but because neither were Rachael Mcshane, Justin Thurgur, Brendan Kelly and Gideon Juckes. This means that less than half of the band were there and it would be somewhat ridiculous to refer to that as Bellowhead.

Absolutely amazing band though - whatever they were called!
folkynewbie
ANONYMOUS MEMBER
n3wb

« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2008, 10:34:44 AM »

P.S. Not sure John Bridgewood's a member of Bellowhead either! Doesn't he play in Lisa Knapp's band?
martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2008, 11:16:50 AM »

P.S. Not sure John Bridgewood's a member of Bellowhead either! Doesn't he play in Lisa Knapp's band?

Hello and welcome.

Thanks for your input, you clearly know far more about Bellowhead and Liza Knapp's band than I, I copied the info from the programme notes, in which John Bridgewood is listed as a member of Bellowhead, it's more than possible that info is wrong.
If my previous post was misleading, it wasn't meant to be. It was my attempt to give a simplified answer to Billy's direct question, in which he referred to two missing members of Bellowhead, I chose the two obvious names, apologies to those I didn't mention.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 11:30:55 AM by martin driver » Logged
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2008, 01:04:31 PM »

Video of Johnny Flynn's two numbers ('Stranger To Himself' and 'It'll Take A Long Time'):
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca2niWzgsCY

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2008, 01:09:40 PM »

Video of Johnny Flynn's two numbers ('Stranger To Himself' and 'It'll Take A Long Time'):
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca2niWzgsCY

I am watching it at the moment, and regretting the fact that anything like this will always be on in London!!!

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2008, 03:44:07 PM »

Hi Martin,

I'd have thought the reason that the house band on Monday were not referred to as Bellowhead was not because Spiers and Boden weren't there, but because neither were Rachael Mcshane, Justin Thurgur, Brendan Kelly and Gideon Juckes. This means that less than half of the band were there and it would be somewhat ridiculous to refer to that as Bellowhead.

Gideon is no longer a member of BellowHead, having left a while ago. Sam was his unofficial replacement but, I believe, has now signed the contract permanently. I'll check with him next time I bump into him.
martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2008, 03:44:49 PM »

Hi Martin,

I am listening to the concert soundtrack on CD, in his introduction, Robin Denselow the music critic of the Guardian says, the backing band look remarkably like Bellowhead but as Spiers and Boden were not there, he'd been told not to call them Bellowhead.

So it seems my memory was not playing tricks, as I thought that was what I heard on the night. But "folkynewbie" may well be correct in saying, that other Bellowhead members were also absent
rogthedodge

« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2008, 04:18:35 PM »

Listening to it. watching it and generally reliving it I'm bound to ask..

Can we do it all again next year?
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2008, 04:27:22 PM »

I suspect those involved might have caught the bug of organising shows like this.......

Chris Sweeney

« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2008, 05:01:17 PM »

Just to clarify the Bellowhead membership issue, it was Giles Lewin (fiddle and pipes) that left Bellowhead and was replaced by Sam Sweeney, not Gideon Juckes (who plays the Helicon)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2008, 05:11:04 PM »

The compere's comments about Kristina being the kind of girl that could get you out of a really tight spot...what did he mean by that...did somebody not show at the last moment?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2008, 05:11:37 PM »

Just to clarify the Bellowhead membership issue, it was Giles Lewin (fiddle and pipes) that left Bellowhead and was replaced by Sam Sweeney, not Gideon Juckes (who plays the Helicon)

Sorry, that's what I meant, my bad.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2008, 05:16:41 PM »

The compere's comments about Kristina being the kind of girl that could get you out of a really tight spot...what did he mean by that...did somebody not show at the last moment?

Eliza Carthy who is laid up awaiting surgery on a throat problem until after she's given birth; Eddi Reader was absent too....

And Kev Dempsey stood in for Martin Carthy.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2008, 05:19:37 PM »

Eliza Carthy who is laid up awaiting surgery on a throat problem until after she's given birth; Eddi Reader was absent too....

And Kev Dempsey stood in for Martin Carthy.

But Eliza announced she wasn't singing any more months ago, didn't she?  Anyway, thanks for the explanation....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: