TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:04:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport@Forty DVD  (Read 84868 times)
Hedgehog

Loc: Deepest Darkest Daarzet

Lurking Longdog

« Reply #140 on: February 12, 2008, 10:37:46 AM »

Bought mine at Yeovil on Sunday, watched the first half last night.  Utterly splendid!

'Ere, ooo's the rancid tart in the dayglo hat and KTM sunnies, launching herself at Ric from the graveyard?

Ah.  Ahem.

Embarrassed

Fetches coat...

"If I had all the money I spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!" - Sir Henry Rawlinson.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2008, 12:30:13 AM »

Just finished watching the DVD for the first time... loved every minute!!

Yes it's a shame that Swarb wasn't on it..  and there wasn't enough Jude either... but we can't have everything.. i did notice you though Hedgehog...  Grin Wink

A brilliant reminder of the best weekend of every year...  !!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Hedgehog

Lurking Longdog

« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2008, 10:38:23 AM »

Just finished watching the DVD for the first time... loved every minute!!

Yes it's a shame that Swarb wasn't on it..  and there wasn't enough Jude either... but we can't have everything.. i did notice you though Hedgehog...  Grin Wink

A brilliant reminder of the best weekend of every year...  !!

Due to The Present Mr Hedgehog's return yesterday from hamburger-a-gogo-land, I had the perfect excuse for watching it all again (well, until jetlag carried the poor lad away!).  I have to admit that, apart from one bit *cringe*, I adore this DVD.  Gives me a warm feeling inside that, for once, isn't curry-induced!  Our 'cinema' is on the first floor, and at one point I was wandering around downstairs, pretending I lived in Cropredy.  Easily pleased, me...

Big thumbs-up to all concerned!

(By the way, is it my imagination, or has Lulu had cheek implants??  Shocked )

"If I had all the money I spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!" - Sir Henry Rawlinson.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2008, 05:51:21 PM »

(By the way, is it my imagination, or has Lulu had cheek implants??)

Sorry, celebrity plastic surgery is off topic. You have to start a new thread.  Wink
Waterloo Wonderer
Mersey Musafir
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Formby

« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2008, 07:26:09 PM »

Dunno. From where I was standing you barely see her face never mind her ......

HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh... excluding that first Ha.

Stewie Griffin.
Mike Rowbottom
A poet amid the dung-heaps
n3wb

« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2008, 11:14:24 AM »

First, thanks Hedgehog, your contribution gave me immense joy in the edit suite because you typified what I was trying to do.  I wanted the warmth, familiarity and fun of the event to come through and you exemplified that  I tried to get the guy with cycling piano in too but I think we only squeezed a single shot in the end.
Now to my Lulu story: I last interviewed her 25 years ago when I was a radio reporter for LBC/IRN and she had just been named Rear Of the Year.  My news editor thought it would be hilarious to have some one called Mike Rowbottom interviewing a pop singer about her behind - RowBOTTOM, get it!  Me neither but I went off, trepidatiously, microphone in hand to take on the assignment.  Lulu, in the flesh, is a little Glaswegian bundle of flirtatious charm wrapped up in a charisma blanket; she smiled at me and touched me on the upper chest at one point and that is a part of my body which hasn't aged.  She knew being Rear Of the Year was` ridiculous and so did I but we both played it for laughs and she gave me a terrific interview; just us, no entourage, no fuss.
So, here we are in August, 2007, in the Portakabins backstage waiting to talk to Lulu again.  This time there are managers, minders, assistants and all manner of hoops to jump through before I can get the little snippet I want for the DVD.  But that's what being famous means these days and I've grown to live with it. Never mind, all the hoops have been jumped, all the egos negotiated and here is Lulu again, actually looking younger than our last encounter.  I have interviewed princes, presidents, prime ministers, murderers and everything in between but I'll admit that my heart was thumping hard in my chest - especially the part that has not aged.  So, to break the ice, I recall our last meeting.  The thing is, Lulu has reclaimed her musical credibility since the dark days of Boom Bang a Bang so mentioning being Rear of the Year in, I think 1982, doesn't quite get the fond reunion-response I'd hope for.  The big welcoming smile, the warmth, seemed to cool just a tad.  Her eyes cast around to one of her minders and she said, "That wasn't exactly the highlight of my career!"  What have I done!  I've waited a quarter of a century to say this and when I do I get a Scottish frost.  No alternative left to me: I must ingratiate myself.  I say, "It was the highlight of my career, Lulu!"  The smile's back instantly, and what a smile! Her arm raises and she touches me again, this time on my forearm, there are three light Lulu-shaped finger marks there now on another part of my body which has become immortal.  Anyway she gave me a nice little chat, you've all seen it, many of you wonder why it's there.  It's there because she was inclusive enough to play the gig - and play it so damned well - and because musicians especially don't have many boundaries, we'll play anything if it sounds good.  There can't be many of us in the Cropredy crowd who don't dream of acting out our final decades playing in a boogie woogie R n B outfit and she gets to do it for real.
Thanks for all your comments and I appreciate the constructive criticism.  Some questions I can't answer but most I can.

Mike Rowbottom
Hedgehog

Lurking Longdog

« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2008, 07:55:50 PM »

First, thanks Hedgehog, your contribution gave me immense joy in the edit suite because you typified what I was trying to do.  I wanted the warmth, familiarity and fun of the event to come through and you exemplified that  I tried to get the guy with cycling piano in too but I think we only squeezed a single shot in the end.

Awwww, p'shaw Mike *blush*!  To be honest, when I saw Ric coming down the road, I thought that it was safe as the camera wasn't operating.  Fair play to the op for being so swift in reversing that situation!

(Hedgehog is part-sponsored by Panamic - 'The Boom Pole Of Champions' -  and available for panto, bar mitzvahs and lodge parties.  Reasonable rates. Contact C. Dandridge for more info. Thank you.)

Grin

tinytinlady

Loc: liverpool

« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2008, 08:26:16 PM »

But call me curmudgeonly, I just don't get the continued fascination/obsession (delete as appropriate) with Tiny Tin Lady. I've tried and I really can't.

Ditto   Undecided

Excellent review/analysis by the way Skirky, especially about being their "customer" on this occasion.

Ditto Ditto.  Thanks Skirky. I was always going to buy it, but your review was masterly. Thanks. Smiley

cheers, your continued support means a lot to us  Grin
Paolo

Loc: Parma, ITALY

Less than all can not satisfy man

« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2008, 08:39:17 AM »

Well, I enjoyed Beth singing her strophe of WKWTG; and I found Tiny Tin Lady short acoustic showcase very good, a prove of talent and a promise fr the future.

Most of all the DVD made me feel depressed for keeping on missing Cropredy year after year.

best

Paolo
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2008, 09:56:40 AM »

Paulo,
in this age of cheap flights theres really no excuse
get yourself over here in august, you'll love it

The Dude abides
Nic O
Grandad takes a trip

Loc: North Wales

Propaganda, all is phoney

« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2008, 03:30:16 PM »

Where is the DVD available - haven't see it yet?

Through the mad mystic hammering of the wild ripping hail
The sky cracked its poems in naked wonder
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2008, 03:32:45 PM »

At any of the Wintour venues, or...

http://www.fairportconvention.com/catalogue.php
Waterloo Wonderer
Mersey Musafir
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Formby

« Reply #152 on: February 22, 2008, 04:36:34 PM »

Have now watched the DVD.

Did I enjoy it?

By and large yes. Don't know why they had Jools Holland and Lulu on it though. I enjoyed Jools's set, as anyone who saw me slam dancing will attest, but their contributions were facile. The vox pops however were enjoyable and although perhaps a little over sentimental certainly conveyed the feeling I get when I go to the festival. The talking heads added to the experience and made the DVD more interesting than a purely performance one. I was going to say too much Tiny Tin Lady but it explained the tiniest one singing WKWTTG so it was just about justified.

Lego Matty was thoroughly enjoyed even if one of the characters, I was going to say 'the villain of piece' but none of the main characters are without fault, looked vaguely familiar.

Weren't they lucky with the weather. Just watching it made me fancy a pint of 6X stood in the sunshine in an Oxfordshire field.

A couple of complaints - Leon should have been on it and perhaps less Americans and a few more from other countries.

Sorry if I sound like a miserable git but at times the sound quality wasn't what I expected.

Will I keep and recommend it? Certainly.

HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh... excluding that first Ha.

Stewie Griffin.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2008, 05:26:29 PM »

Had the DVD as a present, watched it and enjoyed it. Simon reminds me of Royalty going around 'visiting his people'  Grin Good interviews though and a lovely reminder of a great Cropredy. Loved the Lego Matty. Have to always laugh at Ric's humour!  Cheesy

The sites and sounds make me think of summer and this wonderful 'village' atmosphere!

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2008, 08:34:50 AM »

Thoght the DVD was brill. Shame there was no Swarb, but i can imagine how great it would be if there was. It's the best of the Cropredy DVD's so far IMHO, and I was there![;-)

Imponderable Joy
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2008, 07:45:22 AM »

Ahem! Ooooh look! Shocked

There's a clip from the DVD on Youtube. An official one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFLE2eeZB3k

Grin Grin Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Simon Nicol
Samantha was detained elsewhere...

Loc: Usually CT4

Wilco ... and Out!

« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2008, 10:07:25 AM »

As Jude says, YouTube now features our official promotional video,
edited from footage shot for the DVD. Our thanks to Mike Rowbottom and
Iconic for their help with this project.

The more people who see the YouTube clip, the better it will promote
our festival and the full DVD. So we hope you will help our PR effort
by visiting (and, perhaps, re-visiting) the clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFLE2eeZB3k

The more visits it gets, the higher up the rankings it will go - that
directly benefits Fairport and Cropredy. So please have a look at the
clip and get all your family and friends to visit too.

Also, if you know any 'waverers' who might be thinking about going to
Cropredy, point them to the video!

As the Zen Master said, "Don't just do something - sit there!"
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2008, 10:20:44 AM »

Excellent clip!

Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2008, 10:55:54 AM »

Nice little film that, the only downside is that it seesm SO far away (In time not distance obviously!) !! Sad Sad

Happy mainly.
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2008, 11:06:25 AM »

Great idea to put this short DVD clip up on YouTube, gives an excellent snapshot of festival. Only four months to wait DV  Fez
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: