TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 20, 2024, 06:58:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Acoustic Convention - Spring Tour 2008  (Read 68772 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2008, 07:29:18 PM »

They could get the audience to draw lots.

Hand out pencils and pads?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jack Westwood

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2008, 03:17:09 PM »

Agreed!  Rheged was a great gig in an 'interesting' venue!!

My journey was only spoiled the following morning when, on finding out that the train from Penrith to Carlisle wasn't running en route back to Glasgow, a bus was thoughtfully provided; however, the poor young man beside me spent the journey loudly and continuously chundering into a plastic bag.  A Marks and Spencer one with the holes in to let the food breathe....

Any takers for Stirling tonight?  We are heading out en famille.

Cheers

Jack

We had an argument the other night - all because she said I didn't open the car door for her.  She said I panicked and swam out my side first....
Big Ade
Not the post card I expected

Loc: Dunblane, scotland

« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2008, 03:51:41 PM »

I'll be at Stirling.  Only 10 minutes from the house as well!

Can't wait.

There's nothing wrong with being normal, just don't be ordinary.
Jack Westwood

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2008, 05:08:11 PM »

Do say hello.  I'll be the one with wife and weans in tow.

See you at Bridgehaugh!!

Jack

We had an argument the other night - all because she said I didn't open the car door for her.  She said I panicked and swam out my side first....
Bernie

« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2008, 12:04:06 PM »

Another excellent gig at Birkenhead Friday night.  The set list as mentioned earlier but also a request....As Chris announced John Gaudie, some of the audience shouted for John Lee......Chris joked it was the same chap...Off the gang went and before the encore of MOTL Ric, Simon and Chris announced that they had had a little chat behind the curtains and decided to sing this one which was "John Lee".  My Gosh, it fairly took my breath away as the poignant voice of Mr Leslie sang the closing words of John Lee,that once he had been hanged, that the hangman had earned his fee...peeps around me were in tears, I had actually thought it to be another song a more lively one......then all came back for MOTL...more tears in eyes.....
It is always a good night if there are a few tears (it is the Northern way of enjoying oneself !!)  ho ho...
Well the boys did us proud and got TWO standing ovations for the last two tunes !!

I've booked for Blackburn in a fortnight and wonder if that song will be included on the set list again Huh?
Taking plenty Kleenex just in case.

Enjoy the next few gigs, Pocklington as was Birkenhead...sold out !!!  

Bernie (Southport)
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2008, 10:21:13 AM »

Tuesday 13th - Cox's Yard, Stratford upon Avon.

Quite possibly the smallest venue on this tour - audience seating seven chairs wide in about 7-8 rows plus  a standing area behind - so the stage was pretty tight for a five piece line-up. Gerry almost disappeared from sight behind Simon and Peggy but made his presence felt audibly!

Brilliant set (list as previously posted) with the chaps on top form - Portmeirion( a tune which has been a bit tired recently) has been reworked by Ric and Chris with a great mandolin interlude. Spring Song, WKWTTG, Keep on Turning the Wheel and (of course) Lancashire Hills work really well with an acoustic line-up.

Other domestic details....Ric coped bravely with having had a tooth extracted earlier in the day (the Tooth Fairy story got the biggest laugh of the night) and the guys at Cox's Yard obviouisly read the "Cropredy" section of this board - they were trialling video screens for those at the rear of the venue who couldn't see the stage!!

Great night - we've got two more to go (obviously the chaps have quite a few more).

S&J
Pep64

Loc: Somerset - England

« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2008, 08:15:16 PM »

I was hoping to go to The David Hall In South Petherton to see them but the gig sold out in just a few hours,

FAIRPORT CONVENTION - Sun 18th May - 8 pm.
£17.50
SORRY SORRY SORRY - Now completely SOLD OUT

We have been absolutely overwhelmed with demand for this event - our poor box office volunteers (all unpaid) have been run off their feet trying to cope with the demand and the sad news is that we are now sold out.  

'If You Have Ghosts' 'Then You Have Everything'
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2008, 08:21:37 PM »

Blimey, the ticket price was a bit steep, wasn't it? Shocked

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2008, 08:32:42 PM »

That's about as much as the Wintour, and now both bands are the same size....

Not many tickets left for Ely in a few weeks - http://www.elyfolkclub.co.uk/seatingplan.pdf

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2008, 08:34:20 PM »

I'm pretty certain I didn't pay that for my Wintour ticket.

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2008, 08:45:06 PM »

I did  Undecided

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Waterloo Wonderer
Mersey Musafir
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Formby

« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2008, 10:28:37 PM »

Was about that at Southport.

The previous Saturday I got Oysterband, Dervish, Brass Monkey, Moishe's Bagel and Breabach with The Bothy Folk Club playing in one of the bars for £23. Same venue. Actually the whole of the Arts Centre not just the main theatre.

Still is five pints that much to pay to see a band.

HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh... excluding that first Ha.

Stewie Griffin.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2008, 09:31:41 AM »

I'm pretty certain I didn't pay that for my Wintour ticket.

yep paid around that to see them at stafford Smiley

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2008, 09:54:42 AM »

Blimey, the ticket price was a bit steep, wasn't it? Shocked

Sounds about right in the current marketplace to me....ticket prices HAVE risen considerably in the last few years, but seeing a name band with (lots of!) history and getting change from a twenty quid note is pretty fair going...imho.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2008, 01:47:42 PM »

I paid more for my Winter Tour ticket.
The Stables are expensive though.

Imponderable Joy
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2008, 01:11:06 AM »

Just home from the Brigg Fiddle Festival and one of the very best Fairport Acoustic sets ever!

It was a round trip of 133 miles.. but well worth every single mile.. apart from the diversion towards the end...

The last time I saw FC Acoustic it was the FC Acoustic trio at Papplewick as Gerry had hurt his hand (I think).. tonight as on all this tour we had the full five piece and they excelled themselves..  truly excelled!

The evening was organised by the Wooton fiddle club and the first 15 mins was given over to the club and about 8 of its members who played some great fiddle tunes.. most noteably including our lovely friend Sue.. just superb.  This slot was just the right length as an intro to Fairport.. some support slots can go on for far too long.

Fairport came on.. all smiles.. the set list I expect was the same as above/on a previous page..  it included two of my very least favourite FC songs.. but the rest of the night more than made up for that!  Highlights for me....  Cell Song just before MOTL was just stunningly haunting.. I really hope that gets an airing at Cropredy.  The Hiring Fair was just beautiful..  Simon said it almost made him want to be 17 again.. as did Peggy Grin  Being at a fiddle festival we had to have John Gaudie and Bowman's Retreat as well as the wonderful Portmeirion..  not heard often enough for me.  Now Be Thankful was also a highlight.

There was much mention of RT and Swarb as well as Huw Williams and Ralph.. and Steve Tilston. Cropredy was also mentioned once or twice and the DVD .. naturally.

But it wasn't just the music that made the evening tonight..  they all appeared to be thoroughly enjoying themselves.... and that impacted on the audience.. there were jokes galore.. references to Ric's removed tooth and its ipod replacement, references to both Chris and Peggy's hair, and to the animal smells that Simon was going to treat us to in the second half...  oh how we laughed.. and laughed..   at one point causing Simon to ask me if the tablets had kicked in yet  Grin

It was a lovely, relaxed, happy and very memorable evening.. thanks chaps...  I will see three of you next at Cropredy.. one at Farnsfield and another in Gateshead!!
 Kiss Kiss

I expect I will think of other things to add before I go to sleep.. but they will have to wait til tomorrow... tired now... night night...  Sleepy Sleepy

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2008, 10:48:03 PM »

Can't wait for Nettlebed tomorrow night...

Anyone else going to be there?

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2008, 09:31:15 AM »

Hi Will...We're hoping to be there! Do say hello if you can - I'll be the one squinting and blinking, as have just had eye surgery. Never been to Nettlebed before, so looking forward to it very much.  Smiley
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2008, 10:37:28 AM »

Well, the Nettlebed concert was great last night.  Don't think I can add much to the descriptions of other concerts - the setlist was as posted earlier, with the addition of Cell Song from Babbacombe Lee before MOTL.  It is the first time I have seen the band since Cropredy 2006, and I thought it was wonderful.  I really enjoyed some of the rearrangements of old songs - Hiring Fair in particular, which has always been a favourite of mine - and hearing a few of the newer songs live too.  Cell Song was incredible.  I'd love to hear this line-up do the whole of Babbacombe Lee.

It was nice to meet Anne as well.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2008, 09:35:45 AM »

Also enjoyed Nettlebed - the atmosphere was very different from the theatre type venues I've normally attended. It was very hot, crowded and friendly. I was worried that I was not going to be able to see anything, but was lucky;  I was sitting behind two broad-shouldered gentlemen, whose heads neatly framed the stage for my good eye!

Nevertheless, I found it more comfortable to keep my eyes closed for much of it, which was actually rather lovely during some of the quieter songs. To sit thus listening to "Banks of the sweet primroses" and "Now be thankful", just letting the sound of some of my favourite songs, performed live, wash round me, was very moving. As Will said, "Cell Song" was fantastic, as was "Hiring Fair," which Simon very sweetly dedicated to his wife, who was in the audience.

I'll stop now, before I get maudlin, but the whole evening really was both a tonic and a treat  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: