TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:36:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best/Worst headliner at Cropredy  (Read 75768 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2006, 06:36:01 PM »

Worst - Procul Harum, not a nice noise

rachel

I agree.  I'm not proud to admit I got very drunk and started shouting 'Oh just play it and bugger off will you' until I got threatened by a gang of marauding Harumites.  Not my finest hour.  Or Cropredy's.

As for Y2K...the REAL stars of that lineup were Stackridge.  Tell me I'm wrong..  Actually, on second thoughts....  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Diana
n3wb

Loc: Spalding, Lincolnshire

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2006, 07:16:19 PM »

Hey
I think the worst mst have been Eugene Wallace (although i was not rude enough to boo him!!)

The best has got to br this years performance from Glenn Tillbrook - never seen him bfore and was totaly captivated!!!

Di

Diana
Diana
n3wb

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2006, 07:18:39 PM »

Hey me again

Just realised its all aobut the headliners!!!! but forgive me as I am NEW!!!

Eugene Wallce was not at all good though!!

Diana
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2006, 07:43:01 PM »

As for Y2K...the REAL stars of that lineup were Stackridge.  Tell me I'm wrong..  Actually, on second thoughts....  Wink

Wouldn't disagree there.  Good enough to get me to go and see them again at Cecil Sharp House (with a friend who lived next door to the Evans' whilst she was growing up and knew them all!).  They took great umbrage at the noise limiter at the back of the hall .... and great pleasure at blowing it on the last chord of the night.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2006, 07:52:59 PM »

It's taken a while and a trawl through my old programmes.. but here is my offering...

Worst: 
John Martyn 06
Country Joe 04
Musafir 01
Priory of Brion 00 (with copious apologies to Sandy!)
Otway & Barrett 97
Lenningrad Cowboys 93

Best (not counting Fairport, RT or SofH):
10CC 06 (Oh YES!!)
Lazarus 06
Lindisfarne 03
Blue Tapesrty 03
The Dubliners 02
Lonnie Donnegan 01
Joe Brown 96
Lindisfarne 94

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Diana
n3wb

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2006, 08:04:43 PM »

hi Amethyst

i liked the Priory of Brion - does that make me very stange or just strange?Huh

Must agree with you over Lazarus though -fantastic!!

Diana
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2006, 08:12:37 PM »

Worst for me =Jethro Tull -----dissapointed -expected better .
Best  = Country Joe McDonald Band----totally blew me away un-expectedly . In fact I have`nt got back yet from being blown away .Oh how I wish I could have been at Woodstock . GIMME AN F  Roll Eyes

You are what you eat !!!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2006, 08:24:59 PM »

hi Amethyst

i liked the Priory of Brion - does that make me very stange or just strange?Huh

One of the best singers in the world singing some of the best material ever written?  Why on earth would you want to like that, Mistress Strange of Strangeville, Strange County?   Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2006, 08:27:42 PM »

What year was he on?

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2006, 08:34:10 PM »

It's taken a while and a trawl through my old programmes.. but here is my offering...

If you have to look it up, it wasn't memorable enough  Roll Eyes

Best - Edward The Second and The Red Hot Polkas, Barrage and The Dubliners
Worst - umm...hang on, I'll have to go and look it up, I may have been in The Red Lion at the time....

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2006, 08:28:16 AM »

Looked up to get the correct year Skirky  Grin

Thanks.. I forgot the great Edward 2nd.. 98..

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2006, 08:46:14 AM »

What year was he on?

1991, Friday afternoon. Never heard of him before nor since, but I do recall him using foul language from the stage not at all in keeping with the Cropredy ethic.

For the rest, I'd second Amethyst with the exception of 10cc (sorry Amy!), with Lonnie Donegan top of the list. If it hadn't been for him, however you define it, folk-rock music as we now know it would never have got going iMHO.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2006, 08:47:50 AM »

No need to apologise Malcolm.. it's a good thing that we don't all like the same  Grin

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2006, 09:01:28 AM »

1991, Friday afternoon. Never heard of him before nor since, but I do recall him using foul language from the stage not at all in keeping with the Cropredy ethic.

Indeed he was, having reminded myself by looking at the programme.....Google produces one reference, on Chris Spedding's site.

Marky

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent

Back Wom

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2006, 09:06:04 AM »

The Dubliners let me down. Not the same band since Ronnie left.

Keep your glow on...
markwood

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2006, 09:13:57 AM »

For me, there are too many contenders for the best headliner (although the last two Lindisfarne appearances would take some beating) but one really does stand head and shoulders above the rest as the worst. In over 30 years of concert going, I've only ever left once in the middle of a set and it was....The Bootleg Beatles I'm afraid. I left the field feeling sad that any tribute band should take themselves so seriously.

At the risk of causing much controversy, I did really enjoy the ISB. They thrived in their day by playing to small audiences with concerts being more like a get together of a few friends and I guess it's not the sort of thing that translates well to a field of 15,000 people, many of whom, in fairness, wouldn't have had a clue who they were. I was a couple of rows back from the front where I'm sure the atmosphere was much different from that further up the field. I'd seen them a few weeks before at the much smaller Bloomsbury Theatre (with Robert Plant and Roy Harper sitting right behind me - unsubtle name-dropping but true!) where the atmosphere was ideal and the performance excellent.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2006, 10:11:19 AM »

For me, there are too many contenders for the best headliner (although the last two Lindisfarne appearances would take some beating) but one really does stand head and shoulders above the rest as the worst. In over 30 years of concert going, I've only ever left once in the middle of a set and it was....The Bootleg Beatles I'm afraid. I left the field feeling sad that any tribute band should take themselves so seriously.

At the risk of causing much controversy, I did really enjoy the ISB. They thrived in their day by playing to small audiences with concerts being more like a get together of a few friends and I guess it's not the sort of thing that translates well to a field of 15,000 people, many of whom, in fairness, wouldn't have had a clue who they were. I was a couple of rows back from the front where I'm sure the atmosphere was much different from that further up the field. I'd seen them a few weeks before at the much smaller Bloomsbury Theatre (with Robert Plant and Roy Harper sitting right behind me - unsubtle name-dropping but true!) where the atmosphere was ideal and the performance excellent.
I knew who they were - the previous worst gig I have ever seen was (you've guessed it) ISB in the early 70's, when they had a silly man who looked liked Tiny Tim and 2 strange women. Absolutely appalling.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2006, 10:12:10 AM »

Interesting that the ISB are (rightly) slated, when one of the best acts over the years for me was when Robin Williamson did a solo slot a few years ago - totally magical.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2006, 10:24:42 AM »

Robin Williamson solo is still an excellent performer.

I was a great ISB fan which was why their Cropredy performance was such a disappointment.

Nick, are you talking about the dancemeister, Malcolm Lemaistre (sp?)?

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2006, 10:26:56 AM »

Robin Williamson solo is still an excellent performer.

He's also fab with John Renbourn

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: