TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:15:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ric Sanders and Chris Leslie  (Read 12331 times)
Pete Standing
Cheesy Wonder

Loc: Oxford UK

fka Cheesy

« on: March 06, 2007, 01:58:10 PM »

For those of you who aren't following the Oxford Folk Festival thread, you might like to know that Ric and Chris are heading a pre-event for the festival at the Holywell Music Room in Oxford. They are supported by flamenco act Rafael, jaws harp maestro Michael Wright and BBC YFA finalist Wilber - a local lad (Thame) who is an exciting prospect on guitar. The HMR is a really terrific venue to listen to acoustic music being the oldest in Europe (I believe) specifically designed for this purpose. Tickets are £10/9, the concert starts at 8pm on Sunday 18th March. Tickets are available from the Oxford Playhouse in advance (booking office or online) or on the door.

http://www.oxfordfolkfestival.com

http://www.oxfordplayhouse.com/Calendar/TO/view.asp?Promoter=319

If the devil is so bad, why has he got all the best tunes?
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 01:18:40 PM »

So how was this gig?

What did they do??

Who was there??

Any photos??

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 01:42:03 PM »

I believe Antony ballhead was there. He posted somewhere about snow on the way home. Nowt about the gig though.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 01:50:29 PM »

Various Chris-penned Faieport numbers, with some Ric tunes prefixed. John Gaudie - wow! Chris's the Flow. A big jam with the support acts at the end which was worth the price of admittance alone. All done with no safety net (PA system).

Beutiful, just beautiful music. They ought to tour.....

Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 01:56:57 PM »

For those who were at the pre-festival gig last night in Oxford it was a wonderful night. For those who weren’t you missed a rare treat.

The session was opened by a 16-year-old guitarist called Wilber, who was a finalist in this year's Radio 2 Young Folk Awards. His skill and stage presence were far beyond his years. If you have not heard  him yet you can catch him on the Banburyshire Brolley podcast (http://www.banburyshire.com/)

Next came Michael Wright, a virtuoso on the Jew’s Harp, with a young lady who accompanied him and sang. It was certainly different and showed that my twangings (and sore teeth) on the instrument in my youth were not the be all and end all of it.

We were then treated to a great set (split in two by the interval) by flamenco guitarist Rafael, accompanied on drums by a Spanish friend. You could almost taste the hot Mediterranean even though it was a cold night in Oxford.  Brilliant playing in a variety of flamenco styles was concluded with a workshop in the art of the flamenco handclap. I would like to report that the whole audience had got the right rhythms by the time we were accompanied in the final number, but alas we had not but we made a good attempt. I thought Chris and Ric, sitting in the audience, made a particularly good stab at it, but they have the advantage of being musical in the first place.

Finally came Chris and Ric. They did a mix of numbers including My Love is In America and some of Chris’s instrumentals, many of which segued from Ric’s versions of classic musicals numbers. I had forgotten just what a brilliant Grossmanian violinist he is when he is allowed to be. The pair finished with a stonking version of John Gaudie. The whole set was played without mikes, but thanks to the acoustics in the room Chris’s voice filled it perfectly, and Chris commented later on how he enjoyed playing in such a wonderful setting

The real icing on the cake, however, was Chris and Ric inviting all of the musicians that has played during the evening onstage for a jam session, so we had two fiddlers, two guitarists, a percussionist and a Jew’s Harpist all jamming along to a predominantly Spanish beat. Ric, as ever, could not keep still, going from playing on his knees next to Wilber to leaping of the top step of the stage. Chris, more subdued, sat at the side of the stage, but seemed to be really enjoying himself. It was just magic.

There were many Talkawhilers there, including Chris Bates with his trusty camera, so I am sure there will be photos along soon.

Both Chris and Ric said that they were tired after the tour. Ric claims to be winding down by watching Norman Wisdom films.

A huge thank you to all who played last night. It is very touching when such talented and busy people give up their time and talent to help others, and thanks also to those who turned out on such a rotten night weather-wise.

Waterloo Wonderer
Mersey Musafir
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Formby

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 02:00:48 PM »

Ric claims to be winding down by watching Norman Wisdom films.

Explains a lot! Grin

HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh... excluding that first Ha.

Stewie Griffin.
Fi
Savoy

Loc: Somewhere near Oxford

My child is addicted to Zingzillas...

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 02:13:30 PM »

It was really brill! The youhg lady Jews Harpist was Lucy, i think she's Michaels daughter, and she has a very pretty voice too They sang between playing hornpipes and reels on the harps). Rafael's friend was 'El Brujo' which means 'witch' in Spanish.

Here's one pic I took, I only have a little compact though so it's not great:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Fi
Savoy

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 02:16:23 PM »

...and another of flamenco clapping during the jam:

Michael Wright, El Brujo, Wilber, Ric, Rafael, and Chris:

Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 02:37:35 PM »

Beutiful, just beautiful music. They ought to tour.....

We'd book them tomorrow!!

Definitely!

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 07:18:16 PM »

And one from mine

Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 07:34:28 PM »

Interesting stage.. nice pix  Grin

Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 07:54:45 PM »

It's the Holywell Music Room, the oldest concert hall in Europe, built in 1742; Handel is among the many famous composers and musicians to have appeared here, so Chris and Ric were in good company.

Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 10:34:21 PM »

Impressed I am then.. loverly.. we have nothing like that in Notts!

Fi
Savoy

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 09:55:09 AM »

Impressed I am then.. loverly.. we have nothing like that in Notts!

It doesn't have a bar though, and no dancing is allowed, but apart form that it's just an absolute gem of a place. It's got the best acoustic of anywhere I've ever heard music!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 10:40:31 PM »

are you allowed to call them jews harps these days? the international zionist conspiracy has renamed them Jaws harps, although quite what they have to do with sharks escapes me

The Dude abides
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 10:42:15 PM »

are you allowed to call them jews harps these days? the international zionist conspiracy has renamed them Jaws harps, although quite what they have to do with sharks escapes me

It's better than what you call them if you have your teeth too close together when you twang the bloody thing

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 10:44:48 PM »

A pic of the final jam....

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 12:45:05 PM »

For those who were at the pre-festival gig last night in Oxford it was a wonderful night. For those who weren’t you missed a rare treat.

The session was opened by a 16-year-old guitarist called Wilber, who was a finalist in this year's Radio 2 Young Folk Awards. His skill and stage presence were far beyond his years.

I took some film of Wilber at this concert. I've just noticed he's put copies of it up on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFnjNge_NOQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwKZXLjZ5U

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4msC6_pluBg

He is good isn't he?

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: