TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:18:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2010  (Read 150104 times)
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #280 on: February 23, 2010, 06:11:57 PM »

Above 272, I see Mr Nicol has his instrument back from the guitar hospital.

Hope it's feeling nice and healthy  Smiley

Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #281 on: February 23, 2010, 10:12:11 PM »

Yes, but it had a bit of a glitch at St Albans - sometime in the first half it totally died (between songs, mercifully), necessitating a quick change to the Trusty Armstrong parlour. At the interval Simon told me it was in fact a slight mis-match between the (new) TRS socket and the lead he was using, a change of lead curing the problem for the remainder of the performance.

DC
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #282 on: February 23, 2010, 10:56:45 PM »

Glad someone noticed  Wink Grin I believe it was its first post-op performance.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #283 on: February 24, 2010, 07:51:37 AM »

Last night the concert at Colchester was fabulous and refreshing. Great set and thoroughly enjoyable.   Cool Simon's voice was superb, especially singing 'Who knows......' good acoustics at the Arts Centre.

Peggy's aerobics were not quite as energetic, the shoe wasn't quite covering his face, maybe he needs more drink in order to achieve this  Grin

Shame you didn't turn up FB 'cos there were plenty of spare seats even though it was a 'sell out'  Undecided

Saw Martin Driver at the end creeping out from back stage and on the way out just spotted Katy's Mum.

Flossie and Keith are a great duo. Love the calendar/programme idea too.

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #284 on: February 24, 2010, 01:04:18 PM »

That has to be one of the best Fairport gigs I have ever been to.  Colchester Arts Centre is reputed to have excellent acoustics and the chaps exploited them to the full.  They sang and played their hearts out: when they do it well, there are none who do it better!

The set consisted of the old and the new, with a balanced mixture of songs sung by Chris, songs sung by Simon and some instrumentals.  They have worked hard to breathe new life into the more familiar stuff and I hope we were an appreciative enough audience to make their efforts worthwhile.  

Everyone seemed really happy last night.  Simon was positively buoyant and I do think that as the daddy of the band (role not age), his mood tends to set the tone.  When he is feeling upbeat, it gives the kids permission to play – and play they did.  There was certainly lots of movement about the stage with playful interactions between band members and their instruments.

Fame and Glory – we were told that this is Sir Percival but to me he shall always be Gawain – the bravest and most honourable of the knights.

Rocky Road – less plinkety-plonk than I remember it and I actually found myself warming to it.  The intro helped too.

Who Knows Where The Time Goes – Simon has his trusty acoustic back so we were not denied that lovely and reassuringly familiar ‘tsing’ – the most moving song of the evening, I thought.

Matty Groves – an excellent blending of the more traditional elements and the rockier elements ... folk rock in fact!

John Gaudie – what an extravaganza that was - loved it!

Si Tu Dois Partir – always a fun song but with Flossie and Keith, even more so.  I’m not sure I’ve seen the band quite so animated – they bopped and bounced and grinned like toddlers who had eaten too many E numbers!  It was great!

I like the programme/calendar but won’t be using it as a calendar.  Instead it will go into my collection of tour programmes which is complete except for one that continues to elude me.  (Anyone got a spare copy of 1988 In Real Time?)  I suppose I should have bought two copies of the calendar but as we’re watching the pennies, it didn’t occur to me.

If you haven’t already bought tickets for this tour, I strongly recommend that you do and I guarantee (not in a legal sense, of course) you will not be disappointed – FAIRPORT LIVE ARE AT THEIR BEST!

P.S.  Nice to see you JJ and I think I might have briefly interacted with Martin Driver - he smiled at me when I was wrestling a big black heavy curtain Shocked
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #285 on: February 24, 2010, 01:33:50 PM »

Instead it will go into my collection of tour programmes which is complete except for one that continues to elude me.  (Anyone got a spare copy of 1988 In Real Time?)  I suppose I should have bought two copies of the calendar but as we’re watching the pennies, it didn’t occur to me.

No, but one sold 3 days ago on ebay for £4.99.  You see them on there fairly regularly, and there were definitely a few copies or so around the car boot / bridge in Cropredy last year...

Actually I'll check again...if I have got one I'll let you know.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #286 on: February 24, 2010, 01:49:38 PM »

Instead it will go into my collection of tour programmes which is complete except for one that continues to elude me.  (Anyone got a spare copy of 1988 In Real Time?)  I suppose I should have bought two copies of the calendar but as we’re watching the pennies, it didn’t occur to me.

No, but one sold 3 days ago on ebay for £4.99.  You see them on there fairly regularly, and there were definitely a few copies or so around the car boot / bridge in Cropredy last year...

Actually I'll check again...if I have got one I'll let you know.

I have my searches set for 'Fairport Convention Programme' on ebay so I'm not sure how I managed to miss that one Angry (That's cross rather than angry.) But thanks for letting me know and thanks for checking your own stuff.  It's funny, the 1976 one was relatively easy to come by but that '88 one just seems not to want to be acquired for some reason.  I collect the Cropredy programmes too - 1979 flyer, '82, '83 and '84 still to find so if you wouldn't mind checking for those as well, I'd be ever so grateful Smiley
Jack Westwood

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #287 on: February 24, 2010, 06:12:04 PM »

At last......Edinburgh beckons........and Berwick.......and Inverness!!!!!

We had an argument the other night - all because she said I didn't open the car door for her.  She said I panicked and swam out my side first....
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #288 on: February 25, 2010, 01:00:52 AM »

Katys Mum

It was me that bought the In Real Time programme ! I got it with quite a few others , mainly from  Cropredy.
I  wasn't after it especially and as it's the only one you are  missing i think you deserve it more than me.

If you PM me your details i'll post it to you as soon as i can find a suitable envelope !
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #289 on: February 25, 2010, 01:30:49 AM »

Si Tu Dois Partir – always a fun song but with Flossie and Keith, even more so.  I’m not sure I’ve seen the band quite so animated – they bopped and bounced and grinned like toddlers who had eaten too many E numbers!  It was great!

Sorry, that didn't really come out as I intended and it's been worrying me ever since I re-read it and now it's keeping me awake.  (Stop sniggering at the back!)  So I've rewritten it.

Si Tu Dois Partir – always a fun song but with Flossie and Keith, even more so.  It was great!  It made you want to bop and bounce like a toddler who had eaten too many E numbers.  Instead, I had to content myself with a bit of jiggling and foot tapping in my seat.

I'll be quiet now.

Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #290 on: February 25, 2010, 01:38:43 AM »

Katys Mum

It was me that bought the In Real Time programme ! I got it with quite a few others , mainly from  Cropredy.
I  wasn't after it especially and as it's the only one you are  missing i think you deserve it more than me.

If you PM me your details i'll post it to you as soon as i can find a suitable envelope !

Billy, that is such a generous gesture and one I do not deserve.  I'll PM you Kiss
Ian B Grunt

« Reply #291 on: February 25, 2010, 11:37:22 PM »

Pictures from tonight's show at Edinburgh are on the Queens Hall Flickr site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thequeenshall/4388557338/in/set-72157623219759211/
Krinoid

« Reply #292 on: February 26, 2010, 02:38:43 AM »

Anyone have a current complete setlist?

Thanks
Mark
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #293 on: February 26, 2010, 10:13:39 AM »

I like the programme/calendar but won’t be using it as a calendar.  

As you have the programme, and the programme has the dates for the Spring acoustic tour in it, you couldn't be an absolute star and tell me if they're playing Kendal or Morecambe could you? Pretty please?  Smiley
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #294 on: February 26, 2010, 10:19:41 AM »

I think they're now listed in a thread called #'Acoustic Tour 2010' or something like it...

billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #295 on: February 26, 2010, 11:11:06 AM »

I like the programme/calendar but won’t be using it as a calendar.  

As you have the programme, and the programme has the dates for the Spring acoustic tour in it, you couldn't be an absolute star and tell me if they're playing Kendal or Morecambe could you? Pretty please?  Smiley

Kendal , Brewery Arts Centre (tbc) , Wed 12th May
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #296 on: February 26, 2010, 11:34:51 AM »

Big thanks from my parents (it was their Christmas present) for last night's concert in Edinburgh. They hadn't seen Fairport for a few years, having religiously gone to the Marlowe until they decided the new stuff was becoming uninteresting: from last night it seems their enthusiasm has been renewed  Smiley

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #297 on: February 26, 2010, 03:57:33 PM »

Kendal , Brewery Arts Centre (tbc) , Wed 12th May

Aha! A thousand thank yous! Just the ticket!
GS (Graham)

Loc: Dunfermline

« Reply #298 on: February 26, 2010, 05:05:50 PM »

Chaps on top form in Edinburgh last night.  Particularly good to hear Rising for the Moon back in the repertoire.  Chris' new song - Wouldn't Say No - & Ric's new instrumental - Danny Jack's Chase - were very strong on first listen.  Loved the 'everything including the kitchen sink' fiddle tunes set of Hen's March/Four Poster Bed/Bridge over the River Ash/Brilliancy Medley & Cherokee Shuffle as well.  

Simon decided to leave the stage & played on Bowman's Retreat from the front row of the audience as well.

Good night all round.

The King sits in Dunfermline toun drinking rather a lot of fine red wine actually.
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #299 on: February 26, 2010, 05:57:33 PM »

Chris has written his View from the Van......

http://www.fairportconvention.com/general_news.php#news1
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: