TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 17, 2024, 06:58:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fifth generation "Sloth" recording?  (Read 20668 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 12:05:31 PM »

I miss the Maart era.

I have to say that it's my least favourite Fairport era.  I disliked those keyboard sounds and his fondness for metal guitar.  Seems like a lovely man, I just didn't like what he brought to Fairport musically.  Horses for courses, I guess.

Jules

We think he's (very) greatly missed!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 12:10:48 PM »

I have to say that it's my least favourite Fairport era.  I disliked those keyboard sounds and his fondness for metal guitar.  

At the time I agreed with you.  But I'm afraid personally I feel that even what might be called the 'showmanship' of that era now looks quite appealing from this current point in time.  I guess it just proves that I'm a fan of what came before, which is when I got into the band.  Still, I wouldn't be without them, in whatever form they chose to exist...

Well put, David, I think I agree with all of that.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
jonmuse

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2007, 05:07:23 PM »

This era would be a good choice for a future Woodworm Archives release, assuming the series will continue...
Simon Withers

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 08:28:06 AM »

In 1997 I responded to another topic about old recordings...I added to the topic with the following...

I have just dig out my old tapes and have a two tape set of Fairport @ Sheffield Octagon 18/01/86 (fifth generation SN/DP/DM/MA/RS) - there is a version of Sloth on tape one. It is an audience recording. On their next winter tour Jan 07 Fairport played Nottingham Rock City (Sadly no Sloth) but I have a Radio Nottingham broadcast on tape which is of good quality. Happy days - I even made my own covers for the tapes.

Following on from this a member of the Talkawhile site contacted me (I cannot remember who it was) and from our communications I sent to him some tape cassettes...Fairport at Rock City (recorded from the Radio) and The Albion Band Easter show (recorded by Radio Trent)...the idea was that the member was going to copy them from cassette onto discs...He did say at the time that he had lots of commitments...but that he would get around to copy them not only for himself but for me also. From this point on the communications decreased...although the member kindly sent me a copy of the swarbrick and Nicol 'Close to the white Bear' about a year later...the idea was that the my tapes would be returned to me. I had forgotten all about these tapes until I reminded myself of them whilst at Cropredy this year. If the Gentleman could stand up and make himself to me once more that would be great...lets communicate and at some point I’d like to be reunited with these items.

Thanks for your time.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 12:44:53 PM »

I miss the Maart era.

I have to say that it's my least favourite Fairport era.  I disliked those keyboard sounds and his fondness for metal guitar.  Seems like a lovely man, I just didn't like what he brought to Fairport musically.  Horses for courses, I guess.
Jules

It's my favourite! I love how opinions alter so much on this board  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 02:12:28 PM »

I do remember seeing FC at Rock City I think it was in the red and gold era ( though i may be wrong)
(It was in my hazy days) As you say in those days Rock City was great venue to play
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 03:01:52 PM »

I do remember seeing FC at Rock City I think it was in the red and gold era ( though i may be wrong)
(It was in my hazy days) As you say in those days Rock City was great venue to play

I certainly miss the chance to see the band in standing rock venues (and with a (folk-) rock guitarist).  I realise the issues about an ageing demographic and all that, but just once in a while it would be nice...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 04:46:33 PM »

I guess it was last period the band was trying to be folking rockers, instead of rocking folkers.  Wink

Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 03:30:48 AM »

I guess it was last period the band was trying to be folking rockers, instead of rocking folkers.  Wink

Hear, hear!

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Hurricane (Dan)
Do you think it might be worth 'owt?

Loc: Manchester

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2012, 10:49:07 AM »

I certainly miss the chance to see the band in standing rock venues (and with a (folk-) rock guitarist).  I realise the issues about an ageing demographic and all that, but just once in a while it would be nice...

Then get down to The Duchess in York on 3rd November, great little standing only, underground venue

My wife and kids are leaving me because of my obsession with horse racing. They're at the gate now. And they're off!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2012, 11:07:31 AM »

Then get down to The Duchess in York on 3rd November, great little standing only, underground venue

Quite bizarre that it's the 'acoustic' setup that's playing in a pub.  Sort of counter-intuitive, that.  If I find a ticket for Hebden Bridge Trades Club (anyone?) that might help...

I guess the "with a folk-rock guitarist" bit is quite important to me too.  Very rarely see that electric on stage from this 5-piece...although (imho) Simon's a lot better with it than he seems to think he is (or at least enjoys).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2012, 06:33:04 PM »

I have never understood Simon's disparaging of his own electric guitar playing---and I never will. Vastly underrated---mostly by his own self. Maybe, as you say, he just doesn't enjoy it; I wouldn't know.
Carl F

Loc: Birmingham

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »

This era would be a good choice for a future Woodworm Archives release, assuming the series will continue...

I have hoped for some time that they would do just that. Not least because my exceptionally well worn cassette of Fairport live at the Shepherds Bush Empire in January 1995 finally seems to have given up the ghost recently Sad I would love to have a recording from the "Jewel in the Crown" end of the Maart era in a more permanent format.
Paolo

Loc: Parma, ITALY

Less than all can not satisfy man

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 03:51:37 PM »

Fairport should perform Sloth every two years at least as a band masterpiece.
Simon is great in Sloth in the recent double Live from Swarb archives.

Best to all

Paolo
Jay Peter
any noun can be verbed

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 06:20:29 PM »

Fairport should perform Sloth every two years at least as a band masterpiece.
Simon is great in Sloth in the recent double Live from Swarb archives.

Best to all

Paolo

To coincide with Richard Thompson years. Which should occur every year. If not more frequently.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: