TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:40:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fifth generation "Sloth" recording?  (Read 20696 times)
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« on: October 13, 2007, 09:15:01 PM »

While listening through my old cassettes before throwing them away, I stumbled across a real gem. I had a small portable cassette recorder with which I did record a Fairport gig in a small Gothenburgh club early April 1986. To my amazement- I'm a real "Sloth" fan- I find a 5th generation* version of "Sloth" with Maart on a blistering electric guitar and 19 minutes of total "Sloth"-bliss. A fantastic version, with a local bass part thrown in for good measure : - ) . My question is: is there a similar "Sloth" recording available on a properly released album made by the Nicol-Pegg-Mattacks-Sanders- Alcock line-up?. What I've heard tonight certainly makes me hunger for more!

* 1st generation: Full House, 2nd:The Nine-line-up , 3rd:Sandy-back-in-the-folds, 4th:4-piece-late 70´s-FC

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 10:35:38 PM »

While listening through my old cassettes before throwing them away, I stumbled across a real gem. I had a small portable cassette recorder with which I did record a Fairport gig in a small Gothenburgh club early April 1986. To my amazement- I'm a real "Sloth" fan- I find a 5th generation* version of "Sloth" with Maart on a blistering electric guitar and 19 minutes of total "Sloth"-bliss. A fantastic version, with a local bass part thrown in for good measure : - ) . My question is: is there a similar "Sloth" recording available on a properly released album made by the Nicol-Pegg-Mattacks-Sanders- Alcock line-up?. What I've heard tonight certainly makes me hunger for more!

* 1st generation: Full House, 2nd:The Nine-line-up , 3rd:Sandy-back-in-the-folds, 4th:4-piece-late 70´s-FC

You little tease, you....  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 12:00:18 AM »

sighhhhh
jonmuse

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 01:46:53 AM »

I too had a cassette from sometime in '86 and I rememeber that version of Sloth. Seem to recall a few bars of Aqualung in the middle. Wish I knew hwat happened to that tape....
Simon Withers

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 09:42:57 AM »

I have just dig out my old tapes and have a two tape set of Fairport @ Sheffield Octagon 18/01/86 (fifth generation SN/DP/DM/MA/RS) - there is a version of Sloth on tape one. It is an audience recording. On their next winter tour Jan 07 Fairport played Nottingham Rock City (Sadly no Sloth) but I have a Radio Nottingham broadcast on tape which is of good quality. Happy days - I even made my own covers for the tapes.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 10:27:11 AM »

I have just dig out my old tapes and have a two tape set of Fairport @ Sheffield Octagon 18/01/86 (fifth generation SN/DP/DM/MA/RS) - there is a version of Sloth on tape one. It is an audience recording. On their next winter tour Jan 07 Fairport played Nottingham Rock City (Sadly no Sloth) but I have a Radio Nottingham broadcast on tape which is of good quality. Happy days - I even made my own covers for the tapes.

I miss the band playing 'rock' venues like the Rock City.  I'd love to see them leave the comfort zone and spend two weeks doing those (ok Rock City is probably too large now, but you know what I mean) kinds of venues instead of the theatres...particularly now the smoking ban is in place  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Neil67

Loc: Chesterfield ,Derbys

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 01:05:49 PM »

I have just dig out my old tapes and have a two tape set of Fairport @ Sheffield Octagon 18/01/86

Fantastic! That was the first Fairport show I ever attended.Gladys' Leap.What a superb night in a rammed standing student venue.I'd love to hear that tape! If you have time could you please post a set-list from that night if you have one? It'd be great to see the lads play venues like that again but I guess the student gigging scene isn't quite what it was.Around the same time Roy Harper used to regularly fill the Octagon and the Lower Refec,too.Mind you,FCA played at the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham the year before last-that was a good standing show-makes a nice change from the usual theatres.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 01:27:33 PM »

Surely Full House was at least the second generation?  Whereas your 3rd and 4th generations are essentially the same band minus or plus Sandy.  I demand a recount!

Smiley

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 01:40:45 PM »

Surely Full House was at least the second generation?  Whereas your 3rd and 4th generations are essentially the same band minus or plus Sandy.  I demand a recount!

Smiley

Jules

But they're talking about Sloth, aren't they?

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 03:21:02 PM »

But they're talking about Sloth, aren't they?

Uh...oh...um...yeah.  I'll shut up now then.

Embarrassed

Jules

fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 04:23:07 AM »

I too had a cassette from sometime in '86 and I rememeber that version of Sloth. Seem to recall a few bars of Aqualung in the middle. Wish I knew hwat happened to that tape....

Yeah, a bit of Aqualung, a bit of Rhiannon, a bit of In The Hall Of The Mountain King....

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 08:52:56 AM »

I have just dig out my old tapes and have a two tape set of Fairport @ Sheffield Octagon 18/01/86

Fantastic! That was the first Fairport show I ever attended.Gladys' Leap.What a superb night in a rammed standing student venue.I'd love to hear that tape! If you have time could you please post a set-list from that night if you have one? It'd be great to see the lads play venues like that again but I guess the student gigging scene isn't quite what it was.Around the same time Roy Harper used to regularly fill the Octagon and the Lower Refec,too.Mind you,FCA played at the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham the year before last-that was a good standing show-makes a nice change from the usual theatres.

My first Fairport gig as well...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Simon Withers

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 09:02:29 AM »

Set List for Sheffield Octagon 18.01.86

Lark in the Morning
Walk Ahile
The Cat on the Mixer
The Gas Almost Works
Honour & Praise
Instrumental Medley '85
The Hiring Fair
Jam's O Donnell's Jigs
Wat Tyler
Si Bheag Si Mhor
Sloth
Jack Frost & The Hooded Crow
(Ronald Reagans Christmas Story - DM)
Close to the Wind
The Swirling Pit
Mattey Groves
The Rocklands Reel
Sack the Juggler
Dirty Linen
Meet on the Ledge
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 10:58:22 AM »

Lark in the Morning
Walk Ahile
The Cat on the Mixer
The Gas Almost Works
Honour & Praise
Instrumental Medley '85
The Hiring Fair
Jam's O Donnell's Jigs
Wat Tyler
Si Bheag Si Mhor
Sloth
(Ronald Reagans Humbug Story - DM)
Close to the Wind
The Swirling Pit
Mattey Groves
The Rocklands Reel
Sack the Juggler
Dirty Linen
Meet on the Ledge

From memory - I´m at work at the moment - it looks identical to the Gothenburgh gig in april the same year.

Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 06:16:27 PM »

The 1st saw em open for Tull at the SF Civic Center. I think it was 85. They came back the next year as friends of Fairport or something like that.  What a great line up and so much energy. I know many people don't like the post Swarb era as much, but they were a great line up.

I'm still hoping to find the live version of Spanish Main with different lyrics from Maart's last tour with FC. I miss the Maart era.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 06:21:24 PM »

I miss the Maart era.

Since I'm currently in critical mode (see the Jerry Donahue thread), I have to agree - Maart is much missed by me - maybe some of us didn't know what we'd got till it went...

DC
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 08:39:45 PM »

Lark in the Morning
Walk Awhile
The Cat on the Mixer
The Gas Almost Works
Honour & Praise
Instrumental Medley '85
The Hiring Fair
Jam's O Donnell's Jigs
Wat Tyler
Si Bheag Si Mhor
Sloth
(Ronald Reagans Humbug Story - DM)
Close to the Wind
The Swirling Pit
Matty Groves
The Rocklands Reel
Sack the Juggler
Dirty Linen
Meet on the Ledge

From memory - I'm at work at the moment - it looks identical to the Gothenburgh gig in April the same year.

Apart from the third number getting a new title: "The Guinea Pig In The Microwave" : - ), "Si Begh..." was dropped in favour of "Portmeirion" and "John Barleycorn". Otherwise the same set list 6th of April!

Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 08:54:20 PM »

I miss the Maart era.

Since I'm currently in critical mode (see the Jerry Donahue thread), I have to agree - Maart is much missed by me - maybe some of us didn't know what we'd got till it went...

DC

Especially your final words are very true to me. I have to admit I wasn't too fond of the synthesisers but that feeling clouded my judgement to the effect that I didn't fully- at the time- acknowledged Maart´s contribution in composing, keyboards and- above all- the electric guitar. While preparing this Summer's Cropredy I burned down my favourite Fairport tracks on 8 CD.s and my greatest astonishment came when I reheard the post-85 pre-Chris Leslie album tracks.I can blame it on the children being born at the time so that there was no time for CD listening, but I am going to go back to those Fairport albums and listen closely to them this time. I´ve probably missed some gems!
Glad to see Maart on the Cropredy stage this year, though. And I must say that a proper Fairport release of a heavy Maart-electric-guitar-infected "Sloth" recording could give both Richard (yes!!) and Jerry D a run for their money!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 06:01:09 AM by Neil » Logged

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 09:43:02 AM »

I miss the Maart era.

I have to say that it's my least favourite Fairport era.  I disliked those keyboard sounds and his fondness for metal guitar.  Seems like a lovely man, I just didn't like what he brought to Fairport musically.  Horses for courses, I guess.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 09:46:55 AM »

I have to say that it's my least favourite Fairport era.  I disliked those keyboard sounds and his fondness for metal guitar.  

At the time I agreed with you.  But I'm afraid personally I feel that even what might be called the 'showmanship' of that era now looks quite appealing from this current point in time.  I guess it just proves that I'm a fan of what came before, which is when I got into the band.  Still, I wouldn't be without them, in whatever form they chose to exist...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: