TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 17, 2024, 04:11:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport live rarities  (Read 6997 times)
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« on: October 07, 2007, 09:12:09 PM »

When I watched the Full House-line-up at their warm-up gigs at the Half Moon 1981, I was especially pleased that their exquisite set-list included a powerful John the Gun  with Richard T taking on the lead vocals. To my knowledge that version has never seen the official light of day in a recording. I truly enjoy these different songs in the  Fairport/Sandy/Richard canon being played live. Have you any experience of other obscure songs being played live at Fairport gigs?

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Dr Monk

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 07:50:28 AM »

Well I guess it was at Cropredy and then released on CD, so perhaps by definition no longer obscure, but I really enjoyed Chris's vocals on The Doctor of Physic and Poor Will at Croppers in 2002.

It would be brave, but I've always thought that Chris could make a really good job of some of Sandy's songs. Rising for the Moon perhaps, or John the Gun. Though the latter probably would need a second guitarist around, the former could probably be arranged for the current line-up.  
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »

John the Gun was on the 'semi-official' From Past Archives CD (great CD, that is!) Smiley
Cheers
Adam
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 02:50:24 PM »

Richard Thompson also covers it live on one of the Doom & Gloom tapes.  Not sure if some other Fairporters don't provide the backing, only I can't recall which tour it was from....

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 04:09:35 PM »

John the Gun was on the 'semi-official' From Past Archives CD (great CD, that is!) Smiley
Cheers
Adam

I thought that was a boot.  Wink
Anyway a terrific song, I´m glad it obviously pops up now and then.

Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 04:50:51 PM »

Richard Thompson also covers it live on one of the Doom & Gloom tapes.  Not sure if some other Fairporters don't provide the backing, only I can't recall which tour it was from....

"Richard Thompson with Christine Collister (vocals), Clive Gregson (guitar and vocals), Ruari McFarlane (bass) and Gerry Conway (drums) live at the Ark, Ann Arbor in Match 1985; released on the fan club cassette Doom and Gloom II (Over My Dead Body) (1991) and on the charity album Georgia on Our Mind (1997)"
http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~zierke/sandy.denny/songs/johnthegun.html

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 09:30:03 AM »

Thanks for posting the lineup and other info there!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 10:45:19 AM »

I remember them playing I Wandered By A Brookside in '92 at a gig in Gosport during Chris's guest period with the band after Ric's accident. It was great and I loved it immediately. They played it again at Cropredy that year but never got round to recording it until XXXV ten years later. Sadly the studio version isn't a patch on those early live performances. Absence of Maart I suspect.
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 09:29:46 PM »

Just found a lovely "Jack Frost and The Hooded Crow". To my knowledge it's never surfaced on an official Fairport recording. Maybe on a bootleg from the Fairport-Jethro engagement period?  Wink Wink WinkHuh?

Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 04:27:51 PM »

I remember them playing I Wandered By A Brookside in '92 at a gig in Gosport during Chris's guest period with the band after Ric's accident. It was great and I loved it immediately. They played it again at Cropredy that year but never got round to recording it until XXXV ten years later. Sadly the studio version isn't a patch on those early live performances. Absence of Maart I suspect.

There is a good live version on the Cropredy 2002 (?) CD, which is the only version I've heard as I don't have XXXV.
DavidG

Loc: Bucks, UK

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 12:45:20 PM »

There is a good live version on the Cropredy 2002 (?) CD, which is the only version I've heard as I don't have XXXV.

It's actually on the 25th Anniversary Concert double CD from 1992 ... excellent version of the song on an extremely good album.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 12:58:06 PM »

Just found a lovely "Jack Frost and The Hooded Crow". To my knowledge it's never surfaced on an official Fairport recording. Maybe on a bootleg from the Fairport-Jethro engagement period?  Wink Wink WinkHuh?

It appears on Peggy's "Cocktail Cowboy" album, and on the recent Box of Peggs.

Flobbadob!
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 06:14:23 PM »

It appears on Peggy's "Cocktail Cowboy" album, and on the recent Box of Peggs.

Peggy and PJ also do a cracking acoustic version

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: