TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 26, 2024, 05:37:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fairport Acoustic Tour  (Read 30724 times)
Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

Mind the guy ropes!

« on: May 01, 2011, 11:21:52 PM »

Saw the lads at Didcot Cornerstone tonight (what a great venue)  sound was very good, seats comfy.

I thought for first night the guys were tight and on great form (a few false starts) the first half was great,but the second half was sensational.

Chris Leslie sang a song and was joined in vocal harmony by Simon and Peggy and it was awesome the hairs stood up on the back of my neck, and there was a silence in the audience when it finished, before rapturous applause.

I had been toying with giving Croppers a
miss this year, but i hadn't seen FC up close for a while and i had forgotten how bloody good they are.

Several songs evoked Cropredy memories for me, and if I closed my eyes i was in that field.   How could I even consider missing it!

Saw Jude, but too shy to butt in and say Hello!

Not been for a while
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 08:23:33 AM »

Saw the lads at Didcot Cornerstone tonight (what a great venue)  sound was very good, seats comfy.

I thought for first night the guys were tight and on great form (a few false starts) the first half was great,but the second half was sensational.

Chris Leslie sang a song and was joined in vocal harmony by Simon and Peggy and it was awesome the hairs stood up on the back of my neck, and there was a silence in the audience when it finished, before rapturous applause.

I had been toying with giving Croppers a
miss this year, but i hadn't seen FC up close for a while and i had forgotten how bloody good they are.

Several songs evoked Cropredy memories for me, and if I closed my eyes i was in that field.   How could I even consider missing it!

Saw Jude, but too shy to butt in and say Hello!

Oh you should have done Sian, but it was a great evening wasn't it? I had Brian, (Simon's and my old friend from pre Fairport days) and his wife staying with me overnight so the chance for them to meet up was too good to miss as they live in Canada..  Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:11:55 AM »

What was the name of the song?  Was it a new one?

Glad you had such a good time  Smiley

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 12:02:16 PM »

I've got tickets for the Birkenhead show on 18th May - unfortunately, my son has an exam at 9 o'clock next day, so has decided it is unwise to be out the night before - as a result, I have 3 tickets going spare (I'm still going) - if anyone wants them at face value, pm me.
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 12:22:23 PM »

Looking forward to the Bloomsbury Theatre tomorrow. Anyone else going?

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 02:31:50 PM »

What was the name of the song?  Was it a new one?

Glad you had such a good time  Smiley

It was the cell song, but I haven't heard Chris sing it so beautifully before and the guys harmonies were spot on!

Not been for a while
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 03:24:55 PM »

Ah thanks... that's gorgeous!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
David VB

Loc: Abingdon

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 09:58:37 AM »

It was the cell song, but I haven't heard Chris sing it so beautifully before and the guys harmonies were spot on!
[/quote]

Totally agree, it was gorgeous.  A great gig all round. The new material came across really well, especially Darkside Wood and Mercy Bay, and this seemed to refresh the oldies (songs, that is, not perfomers!) Ric's playing particularly wonderful on Crazy Man Michael.

Roll on Cropredy!
Big Martin

Loc: Bristol UK

Old Re-enactor

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 03:27:43 PM »

I'm glad I read this - I'd forgotten to book my ticket for the Colston Hall on 26/5!

Now done and can't wait.

There's a heart in every place.
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 04:07:28 PM »

The Bloomsbury Theatre last night proved excellent. A good start was pre gig beer a the Bree Louise where I both bumped in to an old work colleague and enjoyed a beer in the company of Messrs. Nicol and Pegg.

Having seen the Wintour only a couple of months earlier it was good to have a very different set. A jaunty Walk Awhile kicked things off and led in to a very varied set. There was some overlap with stuff from the new album of course, plus Cell Song from Babbacombe Lee. This was, if anything, better in the acoustic context. The highlights really came in the revival of some unexpected songs, particularly Honour and Praise, which I hadn't heard live in a long time.

The encore was of course the usual MOTL, but it was somewhat disappointing to be sat in the middle of an audience none of whom showed any inclination to join in.

Overall impressions were that this was a more vibrant and more relaxed gig than the wintour and probably one of the better FC gigs I've been to in recent years.

Finally after an excellent evening from the Chaps it was back to the pub for a couple more beers.  Fez

Metro96 (Keith)
Do I look like a padre?

Loc: Adjacent to the Saddleworth villages.

My Friend there is always time for beer!

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 09:24:12 PM »

The highlights really came in the revival of some unexpected songs, particularly Honour and Praise, which I hadn't heard live in a long time.

Now I am really looking forward to Sunday night at Holmfirth!
Honour and Praise is my all time favorite FC song (possibly excepting Wat Tyler)(can you tell my era?). Embarrassed
I will be singing!  Grin

Pwll peint o chwerw os gwelwch yn dda.
một pint của đắng xin
ไพน์ของขมโปรด
en halvliter øl vennligst
Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 10:21:41 PM »

I had not heard honour and praise before, but I really liked it on Sunday , what a great song!

Not been for a while
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 10:28:07 PM »

I had not heard honour and praise before, but I really liked it on Sunday , what a great song!

I remember seeing FAC perform this at Chipping Norton theatre with Ric bounding over to the piano by the stage and pounding out the chords for the "fight for honour and for praise" refrain..

Thank Drunk I'm God
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 09:18:14 AM »

No piano this time, but a fine rendition.

KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 02:08:54 PM »

Really excited about Dartford now!! I've never seen them do Honour and Praise, really looking forward to that!

Imponderable Joy
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 09:41:37 AM »

Mixed review (to say the least!) in the Independent newspaper.....

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/fairport-acoustic-convention-bloomsbury-theatre-london-2279680.html

Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 09:46:13 AM »

Ah, perhaps he's the chap we upset lol

C x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Jack Westwood

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »

I'm being treated to Leicester, Boston AND Chipping Norton!! Can't wait!!
And this is all a surprise birthday pressie!!

We had an argument the other night - all because she said I didn't open the car door for her.  She said I panicked and swam out my side first....
FionaS

Loc: Margate

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 02:43:06 PM »

Lovely gig in Canterbury as always. Can be added to the list of occasions where MOTL wasn't the last song - cock-up by Simon, quite funny really - but they really made Matty count after that. BTW what's with the matching socks and horrible plastic shoes? Chris just needed a little black hat to look like Ric's twin!
jamesiegang

Loc: Mirfield West Yorks

How Can You Dance With Two Left Feet?

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 05:09:17 PM »

Superb gig at Holmfirth last night.The Picturedrome is a great venue complemented by 2 bars (the Box Office is a source of Landlord & Nook beers) which added to the more 'relaxed' atmosphere compared to the Wintour at LBT Huddersfield (a great theatre also).
From the opening Walk Awhile to Meet On The Ledge the band were on fine form and deserved the standing ovation (plus bonus dancers!)
8 songs out of 14 from The Festival Bell was a good balance in two-part set. Possible return on the cards next year to the Holmfirth Festival of Folk.

"A Man of the Earth ...A Man of the Soil"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: