TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:35:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport plans for the U.S in 2009?  (Read 9587 times)
Krinoid

« on: October 07, 2008, 08:02:46 PM »

Anyone know if there is even a possibilty of a full band tour?
Mark
tullist/raymond
I'll grab my shield and rhythm stick
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: river forest, illinois USA

the others knew nothing about spekkatacles

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 08:22:41 PM »

I don't even remember when was the last time the full band came, I want to say 89 so I would mark it as wildly unlikely. Probably the best chance of a USA fullband Fairport tour is if they were to open for Tull again, as they did long ago, say 70 and 71, as well as a full band in 87. I would be very pleased to see either Fairport or Steeleye (who also opened for Tull on bits of the Passion Play tour) as the permanent openers for Tull, though I doubt if either band feels that way, likely correctly considering themselves to be every bit the legend that Tull is, and in Fairports case, history to this point has remembered them more fondly. I think it flat out has become very costly, poor risk/reward ratio, for a band such as Fairport with a cult following to bring all that stuff over here, or even renting stuff in different towns. And o that Pegg, here's hoping his only concession to behaving are those that will keep him around for alot longer.

"Be this gung or be this ho may glorious battle resurrect you"
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 12:03:22 AM »

The last Fairport tour in the USA was in 2007, it was the trio tour. I think the full band may be difficult to bring over due to costs, although recent acoustic outings have been the full band so who knows.

The best option is to keep an eye on the band site and the real good music site that have handled the tours in the past. They have however not been extensive tours concentrating on the East coast and California recently with very little in between.

http://www.rgmbooking.com/home2.htm Is the website for Real Good Music.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Kathryn
A sucker for a hurdy-gurdy

Loc: Lincolnville Beach, Maine, USA

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 02:48:18 AM »

The full band played in Maine for the 35th Anniversary Tour (2002?)but since then we've only been able to see the trio...and had to drive to Massachusetts for the gig. Well worth the long drive but I'm hoping the rumours of a full band tour in the USA for next spring pan out......and, as always hoping they'll play a bit closer to home for me.
Krinoid

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 05:18:25 PM »

I think the last time they played as a full band for the MA area was when OTNH came out and it was really a great show, I saw 2 sets at the Scullers jazz club where appparentely they are now banned from according to someone working there.
Mark
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 03:50:58 PM »

I think the last time they played as a full band for the MA area was when OTNH came out and it was really a great show, I saw 2 sets at the Scullers jazz club where appparentely they are now banned from according to someone working there.
Mark

For why? Pray tell....... Shocked

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 04:38:41 PM »

I saw 2 sets at the Scullers jazz club where appparentely they are now banned from according to someone working there.
Mark

Ahh!  The boys' still got it!  Good for them!!  Rock-n-Roll will never die!!  Grin

Yeah, saw them in Chapel Hill, Charlotte, and Black Mountain NC in 2002!!  Last time with Gerry, at least.  Great road trip!
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 02:03:47 AM »

Mark

For why? Pray tell....... Shocked

Not paying the bar bill Grin Grin

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Jonathan

Loc: US

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 01:39:28 PM »

I remember seeing them at the Birchmere outside of DC in 2002 as well; full band.  All of them signed my copy of "Over the Next Hill."  And in the case of Peggy, he signed my copy of "Cocktail Cowboy Goes it Alone" and seemed genuinely touched that someone owned it, and listened to it regularly.  

I think they played there, hmm, summer of 2000 maybe as well?  But anyway, I'd love to see them again.      

I took me mandolin to the party, but no one asked me to play it.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 02:09:16 PM »

I remember seeing them at the Birchmere outside of DC in 2002 as well; full band.  All of them signed my copy of "Over the Next Hill."  And in the case of Peggy, he signed my copy of "Cocktail Cowboy Goes it Alone" and seemed genuinely touched that someone owned it, and listened to it regularly.  

I think they played there, hmm, summer of 2000 maybe as well?  But anyway, I'd love to see them again.      

Are you sure it was OTNH - that wasn't released until 2004.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Jonathan

Loc: US

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 02:23:33 AM »

In that case, I probably have the year wrong.  
I just pulled the ticket stub; October 10, 2004.  

I took me mandolin to the party, but no one asked me to play it.
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 07:18:56 PM »

I got an email newsletter from Garret and it mentioned a full band tour next sept and oct.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Kathryn
A sucker for a hurdy-gurdy

Loc: Lincolnville Beach, Maine, USA

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 09:27:30 PM »

I got an email newsletter from Garret and it mentioned a full band tour next sept and oct.

Hooray, Hooray!!!
MPinelli

Loc: Rye, New York USA

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 12:43:02 AM »

I can say with some certainty that the full band was last here in the spring of '03. This is nice news if it's true about a full tour for next year. We're going into a bit of a withdrawal since they gave us a miss in '08. They had been pretty steady coming over here at least once a year over the last decade. Several years back I believe they came over twice, in the spring and again in the fall.
jonmuse

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 11:57:17 PM »

The problem with bringing the full band to the states is that they need to play bigger venues and sell more tickets. Which makes for a shorter tour and only in bigger cities. Fairly certain there will be no Pittsburgh stop as there usually was with the trio. Guess I'll have to roadtrip
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 04:20:54 PM »

Admittedly, I have missed several tours over the last 25 years, but rarely have I seen even the full band in a place with more than 500 seats, and often considerably less than that - not counting festivals.  Drums or without, my experience has been that they play at a lot of the same venues, so if they miss Pittsburgh, it won't be because its too small for them.  I'd certainly travel up to there to see them if the stars were in the right place.  Geez!  Haven't been back to Pittsburgh since the Dead played there in '88!

WKWTTG  Undecided

jonmuse

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 12:36:04 AM »

Geez!  Haven't been back to Pittsburgh since the Dead played there in '88!

Not much has changed since then  Huh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: