TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:23:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2005 Duncan McFarlane Review  (Read 4622 times)
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« on: July 16, 2005, 01:59:56 PM »

Last night myself, and the family took my two grown up nieces and their mum to Walton on the Naze folk club, The reason for this trip to the seaside was not a quick paddle in a Kiss me quick hat but to see Duncan McFarlane play solo. It was my nieces 1st visit to a folk club of any description and their mum had not been to one for years. I am happy to say we were not disappointed Duncan played a great 1st set, a mixture of self penned and traditional material. He has a fine voice and plays a mean guitar, the title track from his album “The Woodshed Boys” made an impression on me and he played his own versions of John Barleycorn and the begging song. The 2nd set was as good as the 1st but with more audience participation, especially the percussion section in the cheap seats. I bought a copy of the Woodshed Boys and what a good listen it is too. If you get the chance go and see Duncan, not just a modern folk singer more a complete entertainer with stories and tales to match the songs. Oh yes I nearly forgot, he’s a really nice bloke, gave me a mini guitar workshop between sets.
   I can’t finish with a word about Walton folk club held at the Royal Marine every third Friday, Pubs like this should be a protected species friendly, welcoming (“no food but go to the chippy and eat it here”) and with fine beer, I am looking forward to the Walton Folk festival in September (where Duncan will be accompanied by his band!)
Dates for Duncan McFarland
23rd July The Iron Duke Harrogate
29-31st July Green Dragon Hardraw Gathering Hardraw near Hawes
5th Aug Sidmouth fest
3rd Sept Walton folk fest
15-18th Sept Otley fest
1st Oct Ingleton fest
for more dates and details see www.duncanmcfarlane.co.uk

Amy, Pugs you need to get this man to play at your place!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: