TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 20, 2024, 09:22:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old photos  (Read 186952 times)
Ruth from Stroud

« Reply #220 on: June 10, 2011, 01:26:07 PM »

And a gent from Chris Leslie's band on cello. I've been meaning to ask Chris who he is, as that particular brain cell has gone after 32 years.

Is that Chris' Brother??? I think it might be. They certainly used to play together I think.

They did, but I don't think that is John Leslie...

Geoff March from Decameron, I think.

I don't think it is Geoff March - he was much rounder in the face - http://www.acousticroutes.co.uk/gallery.html - that's him on the far right of the left-hand 1976 picture.

I saw Decameron a few times in the mid-1970s and had a huge crush on Geoff March.
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #221 on: June 10, 2011, 06:34:50 PM »

OK Trevor and Jenny, got me hearing aids back in! Sorry to shove the thread off at a tangent like that, I do have some more shots from 1979, will post 'em in a week or so.

Meantime, here's one from Croppers 1982 which some people may have seen before. It's Professor Bruce Lacey and partner up the field a bit, performing some sort of anointment ceremony.   Huh

Apparently this innocent little ritual has grown in the telling over the years. As usual I had the wrong film in & there was only one shot left on the roll. However, you can see various other people were snapping away so where are the shots folks?    

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Chris Line

Loc: Essex

Smile! - They're free!

« Reply #222 on: June 10, 2011, 09:58:45 PM »

Ed

I remember Professor Lacey's performance, but I have no photos from '82.

Do you have any pics of any of the bands from that year?

Does anybody read these bits?
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #223 on: June 11, 2011, 10:25:34 AM »

I was wondering whi they were - that was my first Cropredy!

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #224 on: June 12, 2011, 10:02:56 AM »

OK Trevor and Jenny, got me hearing aids back in! Sorry to shove the thread off at a tangent like that, I do have some more shots from 1979, will post 'em in a week or so.

Meantime, here's one from Croppers 1982 which some people may have seen before. It's Professor Bruce Lacey and partner up the field a bit, performing some sort of anointment ceremony.   Huh

Apparently this innocent little ritual has grown in the telling over the years. As usual I had the wrong film in & there was only one shot left on the roll. However, you can see various other people were snapping away so where are the shots folks?    

I love the bit in the bottom right of the photo...it looks like the father is thinking 'now how the feck am I going to explain this to him?'.  The son doesn't look like he needs any explanation whatsoever  Cheesy

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris Line

Smile! - They're free!

« Reply #225 on: June 12, 2011, 12:31:40 PM »

I love the bit in the bottom right of the photo...it looks like the father is thinking 'now how the feck am I going to explain this to him?'.  The son doesn't look like he needs any explanation whatsoever  Cheesy

Yes I thought the man was a bit worried.

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #226 on: June 12, 2011, 01:09:26 PM »

That was probably his daughter :-)

Edthefolkie

« Reply #227 on: June 12, 2011, 03:34:47 PM »

David and Chris, I thought the same about the poor bloke trying to explain Prof Lacey & partner to his sprog! Mind you, over the years, there have been several incidents involving me, family, friends and performers that have been difficult to explain in any sensible way. Blame it on the boogie (or the 6X)

Anyway, have got absolutely stuck with these old slides.  Roll Eyes  30 years ago, for some lunatic reason I put a load of them in glass mounts! This means I have to take every ****ing one out of its mount,  clean the sticky tape off, put it in a glassless mount, scan it, correct the colour, blah blah blah.

As we're going away for a few days I'm going to stop driving myself mad for a bit, but meantime here's the fantastic Johnny Silvo from Cropredy 1980. This man has performed everywhere from big festivals to front rooms, and with EVERYBODY. Er, Sandy Denny in the 60s at Les Cousins for instance. In the old days, get him together with Dave Moses and Diz Disley and you were guaranteed a hysterical evening. Have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O40J0vHjUms for a flavour of Johnny.          

Chris Line

Smile! - They're free!

« Reply #228 on: June 12, 2011, 03:54:16 PM »

David and Chris, I thought the same about the poor bloke trying to explain Prof Lacey & partner to his sprog! Mind you, over the years, there have been several incidents involving me, family, friends and performers that have been difficult to explain in any sensible way. Blame it on the boogie (or the 6X)

Anyway, have got absolutely stuck with these old slides.  Roll Eyes  30 years ago, for some lunatic reason I put a load of them in glass mounts! This means I have to take every ****ing one out of its mount,  clean the sticky tape off, put it in a glassless mount, scan it, correct the colour, blah blah blah.

As we're going away for a few days I'm going to stop driving myself mad for a bit, but meantime here's the fantastic Johnny Silvo from Cropredy 1980. This man has performed everywhere from big festivals to front rooms, and with EVERYBODY. Er, Sandy Denny in the 60s at Les Cousins for instance. In the old days, get him together with Dave Moses and Diz Disley and you were guaranteed a hysterical evening. Have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O40J0vHjUms for a flavour of Johnny.          

Ed

Your pictorial efforts are greatly appreciated. Keep on scanning as and when you can.
I remember attending Cropredy in 1980, we watched a lot of the gig from inside an enormous transparent plastic bag, (surprisingly it rained quite a lot!). We bought a polypin of Old Peculier when we arrived and drank it through the day...

I don't remember seeing Johnny Silvo though.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #229 on: June 12, 2011, 03:59:42 PM »

I don't remember seeing Johnny Silvo though.

He's not listed on the musicfolk cropredy pages...?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Edthefolkie

« Reply #230 on: June 12, 2011, 04:51:09 PM »

Ah well, don't believe everything on't'Internet! Johnny was there all right. I can't remember how many songs he did though. Probably, he was salvaging a "bit of a cock-up" situation - as did Bob Fox a few years ago.

Actually that should read ANYTHING on the Internet. I was just reading an interview with Shirley Collins posted by one of our US brethren. Which was great until I read that Shirley was once married to Martin Carthy, and that she wasn't too big a fan of "Burt Lloyd".  Huh Isn't that the bloke who was in The Cannonball Run?          

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #231 on: June 12, 2011, 04:52:23 PM »

Actually that should read ANYTHING on the Internet. I was just reading an interview with Shirley Collins posted by one of our US brethren. Which was great until I read that Shirley was once married to Martin Carthy, and that she wasn't too big a fan of "Burt Lloyd".  Huh          

LMAO  Smiley

Chris Line

Smile! - They're free!

« Reply #232 on: June 12, 2011, 05:45:41 PM »

Could Johnny Silvo playing be down to the rain.
Was there a problem with the equipment getting wet on the stage?
Was the stage in a marquee, or is that another false memory?

Es

Loc: Wellingborough

« Reply #233 on: June 12, 2011, 07:32:47 PM »

Very intersting to see the picture of Prof Lacey from 82, I was there and somewhat confused and amused. I do remember however after the performance overhearing somebody asking the young lady what the performance represented, was it a pagan ceremony?, did it have some spiritual meaning?, was it all part of some grand transendental plan?, what was the significance of her role? etc all very deep and meaningful. After the question had finally been completed, the young ladies response was 'No I just like showing off!' a fitting answer that has stayed with me for nigh on thirty years
Shelley
satisfactory with some very good aspects
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Manchester

Give me some dots to follow and I'll be fine!

« Reply #234 on: June 12, 2011, 08:35:27 PM »

These are old and fuzzy, and taken with one of those cameras that took 110 film, but I think you can see what's going on.  My first Cropredy, 1984:

Steeleye Span (Maddy with bump).  Note the security fence - and the fact that people are dancing inside it!

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
Shelley
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #235 on: June 12, 2011, 08:36:52 PM »

The Oyster Band:

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
Shelley
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #236 on: June 12, 2011, 08:39:38 PM »

Pyewackett (my Bellowhead of the 80s, only saw them a few times, but WOW!)

Shelley
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #237 on: June 12, 2011, 08:40:25 PM »

The Battlefield Band:

Shelley
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #238 on: June 12, 2011, 08:41:03 PM »

And finally Richard Digance!

hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #239 on: June 12, 2011, 08:48:55 PM »

Very intersting to see the picture of Prof Lacey from 82, I was there and somewhat confused and amused. I do remember however after the performance overhearing somebody asking the young lady what the performance represented, was it a pagan ceremony?, did it have some spiritual meaning?, was it all part of some grand transendental plan?, what was the significance of her role? etc all very deep and meaningful. After the question had finally been completed, the young ladies response was 'No I just like showing off!' a fitting answer that has stayed with me for nigh on thirty years

I really wish my mum hadn't done that!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: