TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:26:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acoustic Spring Tour 2010  (Read 60909 times)
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2010, 07:56:51 AM »

I'm getting excited now - we're off to St Helens tonight. Really looking forward to this one. We've got front row seats too.
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2010, 11:33:28 AM »

Gerry on electric drums !

...............and washboard as Ukelele Central made its customary appearance at the delightful (and very friendly) Blackfriars Theatre at Boston on Saturday.

If the chaps were a bit drained after the long haul down from Durham, it ceratinly didn't show apart from a bit of a frog in the Nicol throat early on - soon sorted out by cider! No real surprises on the set list - My Love is in America (as advertised on the Wintour t-shirt but not played) Already There, Red and Gold and Danny Jack's Chase were particular highlights, with a special mention for some brilliant bass from Peggy on WKWTTG.

Very appreciative audience and pretty much a full house (despite competition from the funfair outside).

S&J
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2010, 12:07:29 PM »

Sounds like a good 'un Steve!

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2010, 02:17:20 PM »

So not really acoustic then - just quieter?
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2010, 02:30:54 PM »

He uses an alien toilet seat: http://www.roland.com/products/en/HPD-15/

Awesome bits of kit.

Goes as loud as your amps allow, ask my neighbours Grin

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2010, 02:48:34 PM »

If the singing in my ears is anything to go by...not necessarily quieter.

For those who haven't been to a Fairport Acoustic gig, if there's room Gerry comes complete with virtually a full drum kit as well as the Roland and the washboard, and the chaps all play amplified instruments. Acoustic is a concept more eloquently described by Simon, but which includes the choice of music, the chat between songs and the fact that they are seated throughout.

It works...

S&J
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2010, 04:17:07 PM »

Sounds like a good 'un Steve!

Pretty good weekend altogether - see "recent gigs" thread....

Back to work for a rest!!

S&J
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2010, 11:41:23 PM »

Strange gig at St Helens tonight - theatre was only about a quarter full and the band seemd to have sound problems throughout the first half of the set. The music they played was great, but it all ended rather abruptly, no encore and no MOTL. Is that usual for an acoustic tour gig?

Tiny Tin Lady were the support, and were in the audience for Fairport's set - they seemed a bit bemused too and one of them shouted asomething about there being no MOTL.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2010, 11:59:59 PM »

I was at St Helens tonight, and agree it was odd not to hear MOTL. Turnout was v poor, I don't expect they'll be playing St helens again in the near future. Simon seemed subdued, possibly due to sounds problems or the sparse crowd. However, the sound out front seemed ok, I think it was a problem with monitors, and as Shankly said the performance from Fairport was as good as ever (speaking as someone who goes to see them once every 2 or 3 years).

Didn't realise TTL would be supporting so that was a nice surprise.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2010, 08:50:33 AM »

WE had MOTL at Rainworth, but no support  Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2010, 10:00:55 AM »

TTL are a local act - they're from St Helens, and Fairport have given them help and support over the years - The last 2 times I saw Fairport (Southport & Crosby) Beth Gibbons from TTL sang on WKWTTG - so I suppose they were a 'one off' support. A local band for local people.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »

TTL are a local act - they're from St Helens, and Fairport have given them help and support over the years - The last 2 times I saw Fairport (Southport & Crosby) Beth Gibbons from TTL sang on WKWTTG - so I suppose they were a 'one off' support. A local band for local people.

Yes I know.. they came to Farnsfield to support the Dylan Project a few years ago...

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
SymonC

« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2010, 12:03:52 PM »

Just booked tickets for Sevenoaks on Saturday.................looking forward to it! Smiley
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2010, 04:09:37 PM »

so I suppose they were a 'one off' support.

They did Support Fairport out on the road for their whole winter tour a few years back.

Imponderable Joy
johnnysaint (John)

Loc: Prescot, Merseyside

« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2010, 06:32:06 PM »

Turnout was v poor, I don't expect they'll be playing St helens again in the near future.

In the not too distant past Fairport played some excellent, well attended, gigs in St Helens.

Unfortunately on this tour, the St Helens gig was added to the list a while after the Bury gig date was announced. I know a couple of fans, myself included, that booked Bury (which is sold out) before the St Helens date was announced.

Cheers
johnnysaint

Slavery still exists. Visit http://www.antislavery.org today and find out more.
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2010, 07:59:21 PM »

Just booked tickets for Sevenoaks on Saturday.................looking forward to it! Smiley

Saturday will be our first time at the Stag Theatre in Sevenoaks and like you I'm very much looking forward to it.  There is mention of the gig on the FC site and a link to an interview given by Ric to Radio Kent.  "So, let's make this a memorable night ..." says the writer of the article.  I hope it is but not for the same reasons as at St Helens Sad  Here's the link ...

http://www.fairportconvention.com/general_news.php#news1

and while I'm at it, a short clip on Youtube of Fairport Acoustic 2010 - only 46 seconds but very good nevertheless.  No mention of the venue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YCc71o4uCY
Nigel no longer of Lysander
OldSchool man of the world
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Hereford

A Grounding in Numbers

« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2010, 07:44:04 PM »

And don't forget they're at The Courtyard, Hereford on Friday, ko 8.00. Still a few tickets left. Box office 01432 340555 www.courtyard.org.uk

Cheers Nigel
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2010, 05:48:16 PM »

Tickets obtained earlier this afternoon for the 100 Club next week - paid in cash, no booking fee, and got me out of the office for walk. Just hope I'm not feeling quite so tired this time next week.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2010, 10:02:26 PM »

I'm going to the 100 Club and also Sevenoaks tomorrow night where i have to pick my ticket up from the box office.Do these shows start at eight o'clock , anyone please ?
SymonC

« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2010, 10:56:28 PM »

I'm going to the 100 Club and also Sevenoaks tomorrow night where i have to pick my ticket up from the box office.Do these shows start at eight o'clock , anyone please ?

The Stag Theatre website for Sevenoaks for tomorrow says 8pm but the e-mail I got for the tickets says doors open at 7pm (which seems a bit early for a small venue).

I'll get there for 7pm just in case!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: