TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:03:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2014  (Read 71020 times)
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #140 on: March 09, 2014, 10:52:03 AM »

I'll be there, too.

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #141 on: March 10, 2014, 06:47:09 AM »

I'll be there, too.

That was a couple of years ago with Kieran Goss wasn't it?

Well I never did..
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2014, 02:28:19 PM »

Union Chapel had a good atmosphere last night to end the tour. Good to hear some new songs aired, loved Chris in the red jacket.  Wink One tends to forget how effortlessly he changes instrument and makes each one sound so good.

As others have said,Edwina has a lovely voice, enjoyed her set and her input with WKWTTG.

The rapport between the band seemed a bit 'tired' at times, Ric didn't utter a word or pranced around until almost the end when he did tell one of his 'corny' jokes. Peggy livened it up with his non musical 'antics.' Martin Driver was still selling the goods.

Just a thought, no mischief intended, Simon announced that Peggy's incident with a dishwasher was close to the wire but they had back up with his son......Matt Pegg, excellent replacement for Peggy, so who could stand in for the others if need be, or eventually when the Fairport flag gets past on?  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #143 on: March 10, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »

Hmm, not sure Matt would be interested full-time?....

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #144 on: March 10, 2014, 02:40:28 PM »

Hmm, not sure Matt would be interested full-time?....

well, maybe not Chris, I meant it as a sort of 'wish list' if one couldn't have the real thing for any reason... Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #145 on: March 10, 2014, 02:41:58 PM »

Just a thought, no mischief intended, Simon announced that Peggy's incident with a dishwasher was close to the wire but they had back up with his son......Matt Pegg, excellent replacement for Peggy, so who could stand in for the others if need be, or eventually when the Fairport flag gets past on?  Wink

It is a question that has been asked before and an idea that the band are in favour of but, given the recent history of the Albion Band, I wonder how realistic it actually is. I suspect that most of Fairport's audience would not be accepting of a band that did not at least have Simon or Peggy in and a "new generation" band would have to bring in a new generation of fans to sustain it, which is what the Albions were unable to achieve. The new generation of folk/rock fans have their own bands. They don't need a recycled old one.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2014, 03:56:19 PM »

It is a question that has been asked before and an idea that the band are in favour of but, given the recent history of the Albion Band, I wonder how realistic it actually is. I suspect that most of Fairport's audience would not be accepting of a band that did not at least have Simon or Peggy in and a "new generation" band would have to bring in a new generation of fans to sustain it, which is what the Albions were unable to achieve. The new generation of folk/rock fans have their own bands. They don't need a recycled old one.

I think there's more to it than original personnel alone...I reckon a band with Ric and Chris in it at least (nearly 45 years service between 'em, isn't it?) would appeal to the fans of the current band, who let's face it, musically have virtually nothing in common with the pre-80's band.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Darren_j
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2014, 07:04:01 PM »

My review here http://darrensmusicblog.wordpress.com/2014/03/10/fairport-convention-at-union-chapel-9314/

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #148 on: March 12, 2014, 12:59:58 AM »

I think it's tendons in Peggy's hand that are the problem rather than "a finger", leaving him frantically exercising his fingers morning and night in order to get ready to tour in May.

Personally, I still think Myths and Heroes is outstanding, or at least has that opportunity, provided it arrives on the next album with its rock roots undiluted.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Darren_j
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #149 on: March 12, 2014, 06:00:00 AM »

Thanks Andy - will correct

YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #150 on: March 12, 2014, 08:47:53 AM »

Personally, I still think Myths and Heroes is outstanding, or at least has that opportunity, provided it arrives on the next album with its rock roots undiluted.

True. The 'Festival Bell' CD did sound a bit thin compared with when it was played live.  

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: