TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:21:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandy Denny feature on Radio 2?  (Read 23000 times)
Sam
Bonjela and tonic please.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Welshie West Wales

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2008, 06:45:05 PM »

Great producer yes, but I am not impressed with what he said, nor how he dropped Nick in his hour of darkness.

Did he in fact drop Nick?  He moved back to the States, but made provision for Nick's albums to stay in print and that Hannibal was still a going concern so that Nick could continue to make records.  All he did was absent himself from producing the next one.  Should Joe have stayed in England to babysit Nick Drake?  I hardly think so.

Jules

No he shouldn't have stayed....  < shuts up >

Wink

Not only is another world possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.

Arundhati Roy
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2008, 09:27:38 PM »

Not a bad programme at all actually. No new revelations but that's hardly surprising after all this time. And I must compliment Simon Nicol on his measured contribution.

One thing that did p*ss me off a bit was the quote from somebody about Neil Denny, Sandy's dad, being working class and uptight. Err... for a start, anybody seen the size of the Denny garden in Wimbledon? (on the Unhalfbricking sleeve) Working class, do me a favour tosh.  

EVERYBODY's parents were uptight in those days. I remember my Dad's reaction, God rest him, when Jimi Hendrix popped up on the Lulu Show ("what the bloody hell is THAT", etc., etc). His upbringing and experience simply did not equip him to cope with the sixties (sorry Dad, pomposity alert)

Vary rarely is the possibility entertained that Sandy's parents were worried about her. Mums and dads do this about their offspring! I mean, can you imagine their reaction to chaps like Alex Campbell coming round to pick up their daughter for instance?

Don't forget Neil Denny effectively lost his daughter, son and wife to show business. Not nice.

PS I don't think Joe Boyd could have saved Nick Drake, however hard he tried. Judge not, lest ye be judged as somebody said.    
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 09:46:23 PM by Edthefolkie » Logged

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2008, 10:43:14 PM »

Well said, Edthefolkie

You're exactly right about the worry of the parents.  Smiley

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2008, 05:53:56 PM »

Don't forget Neil Denny effectively lost his daughter, son and wife to show business. Not nice.

So, forgive my ignorance, but what did his son and wife do and how did he lose them?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2008, 07:13:52 PM »

One thing that did p*ss me off a bit was the quote from somebody about Neil Denny, Sandy's dad, being working class and uptight. Err... for a start, anybody seen the size of the Denny garden in Wimbledon? (on the Unhalfbricking sleeve) Working class, do me a favour tosh.  

It was Bob Harris who described her Dad that way, and he did know Sandy from quite early on. You can be a working class Scot and end up living in a big house in Wimbledon, you know.

Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2008, 05:38:16 PM »

Somebody may have mentioned this previously, but if you go to the Sandy Denny site on Myspace, on the latest blog there is a link, where you can download the entire program and burn it to cd, if you are into that kind of thing, obviously I am not, but I imagine some folks might be?

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2008, 07:58:33 PM »

Hang on, Ed, that doesn't sound right. According to the biography we're not supposed to mention, 'at the time, the Dennys were living on one floor of the grand house whose garden appears behind them... Neil Denny remembers, “I spoke to the owner, who lived on the ground floor, and I said, ‘Would you mind if they used the garden?’” The owner didn’t mind."'

Sorry about your Italian jacket. One of several casualties from that night in the Troubadour!

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2008, 06:31:28 PM »

Oh God Philip, thanks for pulling me up there...I never got the chance to read the P*m*la text so I didn't realise that garden didn't belong to the Denny family. I've been looking at that sleeve for nearly 40 years now and didn't pause to think that photo shoots don't necessarily take place in artistes' own houses.

And indeed you can be a working class anybody and get to own a big house! And a jolly good thing too. Some of my best friends etc etc....

I still think my point about Sandy's parents is valid though. My own parents used to worry a lot about me when I lived in the Smoke - however as a friend's mum said "Oh they'll be all right as long as they stick to the beer and keep off the pills and the spirits!"  Well, er yes. She'd never tried Fullers ESB or been to one of our parties though. And now of course I worry about my kids - one came home from town with a split lip the other day, only two stitches thank the Lord.

And I ain't bovvered about my jacket cos it was a great evening and most of the stains came out. Maybe I can wear it to my retirement do in a couple of weeks and REALLY trash it!  

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: