TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:35:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Fairport cd release  (Read 61209 times)
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2009, 10:33:13 PM »

Anybody notice this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fairport-Convention-Matthews-Southern-Comfort/dp/B001NRPRC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1231105109&sr=1-1

Looks like the soundtrack to the film. Out on 9 February. Sadly no track listing but the film is pretty short so I'm guessing this is too.

Edit: Added http:// to make the link work...Chris

I think it might be this?

http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=21972.0

By the looks of it, it's the soundtrack from that Jude. Should be good.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »

Yes, it is definitely that. I just wondered whether there is any additional material to fill it out a bit. I haven't seen the film for many years but as I remember it was only about half an hour long.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2009, 07:03:25 PM »

Yes, it is definitely that. I just wondered whether there is any additional material to fill it out a bit. I haven't seen the film for many years but as I remember it was only about half an hour long.

It is (if that if you just mean the Fairport bit).  FWIW, in my opinion the soundtrack is nowhere near good enough to be given an official audio release, unless it's been remastered to the very edge of existence....in which case it won't either!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2009, 07:42:34 PM »

Hmmm. Buyer beware then. I've been meaning to pick up the DVD but have been waiting to find it at a sensible price. Maybe I'll go that route instead.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 07:56:29 PM »

Hmmm. Buyer beware then. I've been meaning to pick up the DVD but have been waiting to find it at a sensible price. Maybe I'll go that route instead.

Just to clarify...I mean sound QUALITY not the performance itself, which is stupendous..

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2009, 09:44:06 PM »

Yep, thanks. I knew what you meant though. I saw the film some years ago and used to have it on video somewhere from a late night ITV (I think) showing.
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2009, 01:32:45 PM »

Hooray!  Two Cd's have just dropped onto the doormat.  I'm away to have a listen.  Byeeee! Grin
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2009, 01:34:09 PM »

Both new CDs arrived in West Wales.  Hoorah.  Lovely packages, beautifully designed, especially Cropredy 2008, and really looking forward to hearing them.  Disappointing that they are not properly 'tagged' for iTunes and the like though...(ie when added the song titles, artiste etc is not available...they just show as Track I, Track 2, etc etc etc.  Pain in the arse to add all that in).  Anyway, that aside, they look fab...will report back on how they sound.

Simon Nicol
Samantha was detained elsewhere...

Loc: Usually CT4

Wilco ... and Out!

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2009, 01:56:02 PM »

Disappointing that they are not properly 'tagged' for iTunes and the like though...(ie when added the song titles, artiste etc is not available...they just show as Track I, Track 2, etc etc etc.  Pain in the arse to add all that in).  Anyway, that aside, they look fab...will report back on how they sound.

Ooops! I forgot to do that small task in my anxiety to get the damn things into their jiffybags. I couldn't do it in advance as you have to have the finished, pressed copy to upload the information. I've just done the live one and will do F+G next...

As the Zen Master said, "Don't just do something - sit there!"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2009, 02:05:01 PM »

Disappointing that they are not properly 'tagged' for iTunes and the like though...(ie when added the song titles, artiste etc is not available...they just show as Track I, Track 2, etc etc etc.  Pain in the arse to add all that in).  Anyway, that aside, they look fab...will report back on how they sound.

Ooops! I forgot to do that small task in my anxiety to get the damn things into their jiffybags. I couldn't do it in advance as you have to have the finished, pressed copy to upload the information. I've just done the live one and will do F+G next...

Well, that's why I love this bloody band... Grin  Thanks Simon.  I have to say, that the live album is shaping up to be my favourite live release by the band for many a long year.  As well as being good, it's also got a superb sound to it.  Full marks to John Gale and Ric for making it sound so marvelous.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2009, 03:02:23 PM »

I'm assuming it takes some time to get onto the database?  I'll try again in a few days...

Simon Nicol
Samantha was detained elsewhere...

Loc: Usually CT4

Wilco ... and Out!

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2009, 05:57:09 PM »

No, it's on there right now - I've just checked on another computer with a separate pair of discs and the info came up pronto.

Suggest you refresh everything.

Usually seems work in the digi world....

As the Zen Master said, "Don't just do something - sit there!"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2009, 06:03:21 PM »

No, it's on there right now - I've just checked on another computer with a separate pair of discs and the info came up pronto.

Suggest you refresh everything.

Usually seems work in the digi world....

Thanks Simon...all works fine now...!

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2009, 06:59:58 PM »

Incidentally, with regard to Alan Simon's notes in Fame and Glory, it starts off with a flashback to "Spring 1982...Nantes, Brittany.  Michel was an English teacher.  We became friends at a gig we went to which brought together no less than Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and Carlos Santana....".  I think Alan is mistaken about the date and season...it must be June 30, 1984 when all three were present at the Stade Marcel Saupin.  I apologise...I'll get my (long black) coat...   Smiley

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2009, 12:00:39 AM »

Cropredy 08 arrived this morning and provided terrific entertainment as Wendy and I drove around the Welsh seaside towns between Swansea and Cardiff today.

A detailed review will appear later.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2009, 10:30:08 AM »

First impressions of both Cd's is very very positive - but you knew that, didn't you?  I love this band and as far as I am concerned they can do no wrong - you knew that too, didn't you?  Is it worth me writing a detailed review?  Probably not, but I expect I'll chip in with a few comments here and there.  For the moment I'll say a big thank you to all concerned in the production and an even bigger thank you to Simon, Peggy, Ric, Chris and Gerry for continuing to make the music that I love Kiss
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2009, 09:23:01 PM »

Yippeee... ordered both this afternoon!!   Grin Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2009, 09:43:23 PM »

We're waiting for the wintour to get ours

Imponderable Joy
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2009, 10:13:58 PM »

I'll have to wait till my next FC fix, which will probably be May...  Undecided

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2009, 10:16:05 PM »

We're waiting for the wintour to get ours

Same here. I've over stretched the plastic in the last few days as it is!  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: