TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:37:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Albion Band Beginner  (Read 128883 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2010, 09:15:07 PM »

Now I know that its a compilation but the inlay does not contain one bit of information, apart from the names of the musicians. I know I'm weird but I enjoy all the facts around the music. I must admit that I am a bit disappointed, compilation of old material or not.

I've been saying the same myself (about the other recent Albion Band release), and I'm sure it's not just us.  In fact I'd say the majority of music fans buying CDs want to know track details and have some liner notes, and Mr Hutchings must be a bit daft not to realise this.

Jules

Does Mr Hutchings have anything to do with the release then?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2010, 09:40:06 PM »

The man from Talking Elephant says so - see his response to me earlier in this thread.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2010, 10:08:04 PM »

Now I know that its a compilation but the inlay does not contain one bit of information, apart from the names of the musicians. I know I'm weird but I enjoy all the facts around the music. I must admit that I am a bit disappointed, compilation of old material or not.

I've been saying the same myself (about the other recent Albion Band release), and I'm sure it's not just us.  In fact I'd say the majority of music fans buying CDs want to know track details and have some liner notes, and Mr Hutchings must be a bit daft not to realise this.

Jules

There's an interesting comparison with the most recent Teddy Thompson album which came with scant details on a single sheet "booklet". Teddy assumed or had been advised that nobody bothered with this stuff anymore but he received so many complaints that he apologised for the error of judgement and made a full booklet available through his website. Not sure if later pressings of the CD came with the full booklet.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2010, 11:04:51 PM »

Serious music fanatics (like those esteemed members of this parish) read liner notes ! Always have done, probably always will !
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2010, 08:35:43 AM »

Serious music fanatics (like those esteemed members of this parish) read liner notes ! Always have done, probably always will !

Hear, hear!!!  Grin  Cool

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #145 on: November 23, 2010, 02:05:51 PM »

My copy of Vintage II has now arrived and I can confirm from a direct comparison that tracks 1-4, 6-8, 12 & 13 all previously appeared on the BBC Sessions CD so not, in fact, previously unreleased and indeed not "On The Road" as these are largely studio sessions.

Swizz!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #146 on: November 23, 2010, 02:09:54 PM »

How very disappointing...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2010, 02:37:38 PM »

My copy of Vintage II has now arrived and I can confirm from a direct comparison that tracks 1-4, 6-8, 12 & 13 all previously appeared on the BBC Sessions CD so not, in fact, previously unreleased and indeed not "On The Road" as these are largely studio sessions.

Swizz!

And tracks 5, 7 and 11-15?

I'm thinking some are from the Guv'nor series.....

Jules

Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #148 on: November 23, 2010, 02:39:52 PM »

The man from Talking Elephant says so - see his response to me earlier in this thread.

Jules

I am sorry you are disappointed with the CD and can only say that we are guided by Ashley Hutchings as to the content of what is on the albums(whether previously released/quality etc).
Hmm, I think you are reading more into this than was actually stated. Nowhere is it said that Ashley had any control over how much information was included with the cd, only that they were "guided" by him ... not really sure what that means. It could mean that they rang him up and said:
"Hey Ashley, we have a bunch of old Albion Band tracks we want to package and release. Can you tell us if they were previously released or not?"
"No"
"Right then, 'previously unreleased' it will be. This is exciting!"  Smiley

Or it could mean he came to them with a bunch of recordings which he described as previously unreleased tracks of excellent quality, which statement they accepted without question.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #149 on: November 23, 2010, 02:45:18 PM »

Hmm, I think you are reading more into this than was actually stated.

Maybe.  And maybe I read into it exactly what Barry wanted me to.  Who knows.....?

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2010, 02:57:33 PM »

Swizz!

Jules

Possibly so. I don't have those.

I have emailed Talking Elephant with my "observations"!  Wink
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #151 on: November 23, 2010, 02:59:56 PM »

Hmm, I think you are reading more into this than was actually stated.

Maybe.  And maybe I read into it exactly what Barry wanted me to.  Who knows.....?

Jules
Yeah, who knows. It's just that, every time I see a musician  asked about one of these compilations, the response is usually "oh! I didn't even know they were going to release that! I had no control over any of it."
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2010, 03:03:13 PM »

I'm still trying to make up my mind about hanging onto it or taking Barry up on his refund offer.

Jules

Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #153 on: November 23, 2010, 03:10:33 PM »

I have tried the Ashley Hutchings homepage for info on the tracks on "Traditional" but couldŽnt find anything. Is there a better source anyone knows of? In Fairport matters I always rely on Musikfolk and its discography- excellent job there by the way - but IŽd love to get hold of info of at least recording year and original CD for this.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #154 on: November 23, 2010, 03:19:40 PM »

I have tried the Ashley Hutchings homepage for info on the tracks on "Traditional" but couldŽnt find anything. Is there a better source anyone knows of? In Fairport matters I always rely on Musikfolk and its discography- excellent job there by the way - but IŽd love to get hold of info of at least recording year and original CD for this.

This site is pretty good Staffan, though details about Traditiional are surprisingly light.

http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~zierke/guvnor/records/index.html

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #155 on: November 23, 2010, 03:22:03 PM »

Swizz!

Jules

Possibly so. I don't have those.

I have emailed Talking Elephant with my "observations"!  Wink

Further research reveals tracks 9 & 15 as hailing from The Guvnor series, which leaves 4 tracks unaccounted for. (Track 7 is a BBC session Jules)
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #156 on: November 23, 2010, 03:32:36 PM »

Further research reveals tracks 9 & 15 as hailing from The Guvnor series, which leaves 4 tracks unaccounted for. (Track 7 is a BBC session Jules)

Just call me dyslexic with numbers!

I meant 5, 9-11 and 14-15.  Now minus 9 and 15 of course.

Nice detective work, Gub.  So it's beginning to look like I've bought an EP.  I'm warming to the idea of the refund....

Jules

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2010, 08:45:44 PM »

Just a thought but ashley has been involved with so many versions of the albions, has seen umpteen compilations issued and been at it non stop for almost 45 years now , is it possible that even he doesnt know which particular tracks and sessions have been issued, he is after all a gentleman past pensionable age and perhaps okayed this one while waiting in the queue in the post office on a tuesday morning.

The Dude abides
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #158 on: November 23, 2010, 09:46:56 PM »

This site is pretty good Staffan, though details about Traditiional are surprisingly light.

http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~zierke/guvnor/records/index.html

Thanks Al! I had forgotten it contained more than Sandy Denny info.
I have now got it all sorted out! Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 10:11:46 PM by staFCan » Logged

koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #159 on: April 26, 2011, 08:49:05 PM »

I was writing this in the Listening to ... topic and then thought, sod it, I put it in here, so there.

Anyway listening to - Albion Dance Band, Dancing Days Are Here Again, CD1 (live 1976).

I was very much into this kind of stuff in my 'twennies' and now, surprisingly, it appeals much less, because I miss a certain 'oomph' which presumably came with the arrival of John Tams and Graeme Taylor in the Albions - this concert was before that. I love what went on before, Albion Country Band, Morris On ... I love what came later. But this is kinda inbetween. And Shirley Collins, hats off to her for No Roses and Anthems In Eden etc, but she can sound very 'off' on this live one. This one would not win over many newbies. I think.

The album itself is kinda shoddy presentation-wise. CD2 is actually the studio album Shuffle Off! from 1983 but nowhere does it say so. Long live HTD which turned into Talking Elephant, because they have given Hutchings et al (and others) a platform to release seemingly whatever they want. But why must their artwork and their overall album booklet information be so consistently awful through the years? And why do they repackage material and sell it under different titles?
Once more I have a very double feeling about Talking Elephant. Glad they're there. But some quality control especially in presentation/information would be so nice.

I still should admit that I would have loved to been a fly on the wall at Albion Dance Band gigs in the 70s, be it with or without Tams/Taylor. But I won't play this very often.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: