TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:49:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Judy Dyble 'Talking With Strangers' Album Launch Gig  (Read 55650 times)
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2009, 10:15:05 AM »

All the best for this one, Jude - I'm sure you'll be stunning!

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2009, 01:12:14 PM »

Although the 100 Club does have a sort of food bar - it isn't usually open unless you' specifically request it on booking the venue.....so don't bank on it!

Dan O - Can we get food round at yours??? (pretty please - bar food will do!)

Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2009, 04:59:47 PM »

Right - I'm off to attend this event. Not sure we will make the press bit after all - but looking forward to the evening. Will try to send a report later.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2009, 05:53:57 PM »

Have a fab time everyone. We want pics please!  Smiley

Go Jude  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2009, 08:07:22 PM »

Cor really rather feel I'm missing out on summat here!

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2009, 10:45:05 PM »

I'm afraid you did, Puggs. It was a marvelous evening!

Jude was the picture of calm and elegance, sang brilliantly and really looked like she was having fun. The band were slick and complemented the songs well. Simon shall now be known as The Pillar of Folk for his pin-point support. Tim and Alistair and the rest filled the sound out just right. They played pretty much the whole album (missing only the Harpsong wig-out) and left everyone on their feet calling for more. A super performance.

DH's set was sweet but all too short. We kind of wanted him to play twice as long (especially when we found that, unfortunately, we're not really NoMan fans and felt they went a little too long :-/ ) All in all it was a great evening and one that we wouldn't have missed for the world! Excellent excellent stuff.

Enjoyed A pre-gig beer and rum with DH, Anji, Nuthouse and Cocker round at the Blue Posts. Nice pub you've got there Dan! I'm now a little miffed that I didn't take the opportunity to get a photo of Cocker without his cap...

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2009, 10:48:13 PM »

Curses I checked out the Iron Horse and could have done it as well. Next time I reckon.

Anyway well done Jude so pleased for you  Fez

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2009, 10:51:59 PM »

We're on the iron horse right now, Puggs. Racing home to relive the babysitter and sadly missing the after-show shenanigans. I bet there's rum involved...

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2009, 11:33:22 PM »

Safely back in Norf London and pretty much agree with what Nick said, although we quite liked NoMan who were beset with technical problems - worth another go.

We met Chris B, MikeB, Speleolgist, and FarnishK (hope I've got those right) upstairs in Blue Posts before the show. Also met Anji, Nuthouse and Dan in the course of the evening. I wonder how many hands would have gone up if there had been a "wave if you are on TalkaWhile" request.

Jude and her band were fab - sign them up for Cropredy!

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Bryan

Loc: Caterham, Surrey

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2009, 12:12:43 AM »

Hear hear!
Thanks Jude for a terrific evening, nice just to say hello and thanks for signing my LP
It was great to hear those songs live, thanks to everyone involved in the evening.
When does the tour start Jude ?

Bryan

Bryan
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2009, 12:38:53 AM »

Glad to read some early reviews.....sounds like everyone had a thoroughly enjoyable time.  Grin

Congratulations Jude.  Tiara

That's not dirt, it's patination!
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2009, 01:05:54 AM »

It was really lovely to see you all there, I'm delighted you enjoyed it and the whole audience made me feel at ease and I thought there was a sprinkling of fairy dust about the whole thing..but then I haven't eaten all day so it might just be hunger pangs..... Grin

Lovely you all are... Kiss

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2009, 01:06:47 AM »

What a great evening ! Brilliant set from Jude, lovely to meet so many Talkawhilers, pleasure to see everyone in The Blue Posts. Cropredy 2010 with the same lineup, Jude ?
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2009, 01:29:15 AM »

Popped in to the 100club to say hello to Jude during rehearsals and wish her every success. Unfortunately due to a prior engagement I was unable to hang around for the gig. Anyway I took the opportunity to snap a couple of pics with my phonecam.

[attachment deleted by admin]
martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2009, 01:34:33 AM »

I'm so pleased to learn from your reviews the CD launch evening was well received by everyone

martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2009, 01:36:16 AM »

one more for you

jonnybrilliant

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2009, 04:11:09 AM »

While we are having a 'sea of love' moment  Wink I would like to say a few thank you's - firstly to Dan O and his better half, who hardly could have been more accomodating and supportive hospitality wise, and to all the musicians - David and Anji for a superb set, fervant and unstinting support, Sand Snowman, who played a 20 minute long solo guitar piece, that suited the occasion with a wonderfully left field slice of musical genius/nuttiness, Judy's band, Tim, Alistair, Laurie, Rachel, and Mark - brilliant, all.

And a very special thank you here to yer' very own Simon Nicol, who was superb, and added hugely to the musical quality, and gave his time to rehearse, and an entire day yesterday (I hope he won't mind me saying this, all for the price of a good bottle of wine). In my experience, for an 'A' lister to be that helpful, accomodating, and genuinely humble, is a rare, rare animal. Simon has turned a blind eye to me hawking his name to help promote Judy (though I have tried hard to behave here!), and his performance on the album, and with the live side have really helped us put Judy back to where I feel she should be in the musical world.

And a final thank you to the wonderful people of Talkawhile, a lovely, kind and genuine bunch you all, and I think I can say that Jude could hardly have failed last night, with 150+ people in that historic old venue as keen for her to do well as I was.

Thank you to the people who travelled miles, Jersey, Devon, Spain, Edinburgh to name just a few, and the people who finished work early, got stuck on tubes, and just made the effort to be there.

Thank you all, thank you.

Jon the (proud) manager. (Who probably none of you will catch in such a weak emotional moment ever again!!)
frogcrutches
Pond Life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Pontypridd, South Wales.

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2009, 04:24:51 AM »

Well done all. Smiley

Methinks thou art laden with stools.
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2009, 07:58:10 AM »

An absolutely stunning evening.

Well done to all involved and it was lovely to meet up with a decent number of TAWs.

I made it back home on the sleeper train, despite all the seats being full.

Off to sleep now. I have £6.44 left to my name but am immensly richer for having been at the 100 Club yesterday.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2009, 10:32:46 AM »

Well that was very nice, although I must add to the 100 Club's list of achievements as being the only venue I know where if you want the best sound you have to have your view of the lead singer obscured by a gigantic square pillar!

Nice to meet Tim and his wife (sorry, forgotten her name), Speleologist (whose combined knowledge of jazz-funk-prog with Dan and Tim Bowness nearly gave me an embolism), Dan and his better half  Grin for their excellent hospitality and extremely reasonable prices, legless Mike, Chris, Nick, Fi, Anji, David and Cocker - yes, the real deal! - and probably others, but given the frenetic nature of the evening it's all a bit of a blur.

Yes, David's set was far too short - wasn't impressed with NoMan Lite, and would have loved some more Dengie musical wit, but hey! We can't all like everything.

Spoke to a visibly nervous Jude along with a watchful Simon at the outrageously priced 100 Club bar; but the set went off without a hitch, and I think Jude is secretly starting to enjoy being up on stage. Very well done to the whole band for conjuring a little bit of magic in the bowels of an Oxford Street building.

Oh, and I managed to wreak havoc in Currys on the way  Grin

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: