TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:31:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Sandy Denny box set  (Read 123154 times)
folkfreak (Alexander)
My EMI doesn't have the dropouts

Loc: Ludwigshafen, Germany

« Reply #160 on: November 25, 2010, 06:14:03 PM »

Hi,

For nobody to hear (Track 3/CD16) is a fantastic version. The vocals are much better than the doubled ones on the final mix, and the rocking instrumental ending is just great....

Alex
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #161 on: November 25, 2010, 09:26:14 PM »

On my Xmas present list. It's nice to have a box set to work through over Xmas - last year we listened to Woodstock box set. It was like being at a festival - just as drunken only drier.

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #162 on: November 25, 2010, 09:50:43 PM »

Hi,

For nobody to hear (Track 3/CD16) is a fantastic version. The vocals are much better than the doubled ones on the final mix, and the rocking instrumental ending is just great....

Alex

so ,old bean,  just what is track 3/cd16 called?

The Dude abides
folkfreak (Alexander)
My EMI doesn't have the dropouts

Loc: Ludwigshafen, Germany

« Reply #163 on: November 26, 2010, 04:52:53 AM »

Huh
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #164 on: November 26, 2010, 05:17:35 AM »

Hi,

Alex

My guess would be track 3 cd16 would be called "For Nobody To hear"

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #165 on: November 26, 2010, 11:46:30 AM »

My guess would be track 3 cd16 would be called "For Nobody To hear"

Yeah I too wasn't sure what Alexander meant at first because it was typed in lower case.  I had to re-read it to realise that the title of the song had been given!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #166 on: November 26, 2010, 11:51:33 AM »

Presumably all the CDs are 78  minutes long Grin
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #167 on: November 26, 2010, 11:58:11 AM »

It is reported on the Sandy list that it is also ready close to selling out - so those that can afford it, get in soon!

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #168 on: November 26, 2010, 12:02:59 PM »

Presumably all the CDs are 78  minutes long Grin

Nope.  Disc 4, which covers the Liege & Lief period, only has 9 tracks and lasts 50 minutes.  There was clearly room for the same line-up's BBC sessions on this disc, but they're not included.

Jules

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »

Mine arrived today from Amazon but , shock horror, the sleeve to disc 4 is empty (ie sleeve but no disc). Is there any way I can get the one disc sent by the manufacturer to save having to send the whole caboodle back?

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #170 on: November 28, 2010, 12:42:45 AM »

Mine arrived today from Amazon but , shock horror, the sleeve to disc 4 is empty (ie sleeve but no disc). Is there any way I can get the one disc sent by the manufacturer to save having to send the whole caboodle back?

I sure hope you can, Nick!   Sad

Jules

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #171 on: November 28, 2010, 10:43:56 AM »

Rather than go through the automated returns process, I e-mailed Amazon customer services and they replied within half an hour to say a replacement order had been placed at no charge (I checked and it was on the system). I do not need to return the first box until I have checked the replacement.
Pretty efficient especially for a Sunday morning. Well done !

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #172 on: November 28, 2010, 11:31:44 AM »

It is reported on the Sandy list that it is also ready close to selling out - so those that can afford it, get in soon!

I finally decided to order this morning. Christmas pressies don't come cheap this year.
I've been in touch with a couple of local record shops but their prizes came well over amazons, so I ordered it there.
Like Charlie Brown - and like one or two here - I have been wishy-washy. Wanting it one day, regarding my extensive Sandy Denny collection sufficient the other. My reasons for ordering it now are simple. I m afraid I'll never get hold of a copy. And: it makes it easy for the family concerning Christmas gifts. The box seems to contain a beautiful book with a lot of unpublished photos and for once I can be a little wild & crazy. Apart from Sandy, I would only pay that kind of money on well-known musical tracks for one other artist, The Fairports.
 Thus I can leave all Springsteen, Who, Macca boxes behind knowing that this was the final "we-have-collected-everything"-box. But one?  Cool

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #173 on: November 28, 2010, 12:09:19 PM »

knowing that this was the final "we-have-collected-everything"-box.

The box doesn't collect everything out there, just so you know.  Most of the BBC sessions, and several Fairport gigs from 1974/5 that have come out on CD are not included.  So don't throw away your old collections just yet!

Jules

Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #174 on: November 28, 2010, 12:43:14 PM »

So don't throw away your old collections just yet!

Jules

Earlier on I have turned my son into a Sandy Denny - and Fairport Convention - fan by giving him the old CD:s when they have come remastered. This time Iĺl hang on to the different boxes a while longer!  Grin

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Dave Brzeski
I'm seeing an alternate universe

Loc: Peterborough

IM me here before requesting ICQ/Yahoo/MSN

« Reply #175 on: December 04, 2010, 10:37:27 AM »

Have we ascertained for definite that all the Sandy Solo CDs (including the remasters, with the bonus tracks) are now redundant, if one has the box set, or are there a few of the bonus tracks which escaped?
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #176 on: December 04, 2010, 12:58:56 PM »

Have we ascertained for definite that all the Sandy Solo CDs (including the remasters, with the bonus tracks) are now redundant, if one has the box set, or are there a few of the bonus tracks which escaped?

I'm not sure.  The box is so big that you get a sort of blindness as to what is what.  Anybody else work it out yet?

Jules

Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #177 on: December 04, 2010, 04:02:34 PM »

I think the version of 'It'll Take A Long Time' which is a bonus on the reissue of Sandy is different from the one on CD 17. Remember the tapes were running over several nights at the LA Troubadour, so compilers have more than one version to choose from. Otherwise, I reckon the box collects all the previous bonus tracks. The Troubadour tracks that previously appeared were apparently taken "off the desk". These newly issued ones are mixed from the original tapes.  

On another forum, compiler Andrew Batt has said that the solo albums as they appear on the box have been remastered since the 2005 reissues. I haven't got around to listening to those yet, so can't judge how much difference this makes to the sound.

Basically, if you're nuts about Sandy, you have got to have this box, even if it means remortgaging the house/selling a kidney.

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
David Blake

« Reply #178 on: December 04, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »

I'd say keep everything.  
Dave Brzeski
I'm seeing an alternate universe

Loc: Peterborough

IM me here before requesting ICQ/Yahoo/MSN

« Reply #179 on: December 04, 2010, 11:51:53 PM »

I ripped the whole shebang for my iPod today. Interestingly, the freedb recognised the Gold Dust disc & returned all the info for the original CD release. Obviously the tracks didn't check out as exactly the same edition when compared with the accurate rip database.

I find myself wondering if any of the Sandy & Trevor Attic Tracks CD are on there, as it isn't mentioned, although a lot of the stuff from the extras discs are from the same period.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: