TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:41:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Fairport CD  (Read 182594 times)
PeterJ

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2016, 08:01:26 PM »

Problem is, all the people who might have contributed, who just don't bother because it isn't worth the risk of getting simultaneously shot down and bored to death...............qv the recent shrieks of anger over the use of the phrase "passed away" when Dave Pegg's brother died. For pity's sake!
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2016, 09:02:02 PM »

There are those that can only appreciate what was done many a decade ago, but let's just appreciate a band that has kept on doing new.  

There's a splendid, if possibly apocryphal, quote regarding Joseph Heller who, when confronted by someone who said that he'd not written anything as good since Catch 22 replied "And nor has anyone else". There's your 'Liege and Lief' conundrum in a nutshell.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2016, 09:07:03 PM »

Sigh.  Why not just assume the best of what somebody else writes, even if you disagree with it?

That's a good mantra. You should try it.

Maybe everybody should try it.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2016, 09:08:19 PM »

Sigh.  Why not just assume the best of what somebody else writes, even if you disagree with it?

That's a good mantra. You should try it.

Maybe everybody should try it.

Jules

^This.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2016, 03:23:12 AM »

Sigh.  Why not just assume the best of what somebody else writes, even if you disagree with it?  Life's so much easier that way....  I simply do not comprehend the concept of a site for discussion which wants to stifle discussion.  How it can be somehow 'wrong' to speculate that the next Fairport album will be a disappointment to some is entirely beyond me.  I shall see some of you in London in May and we can all discuss who was right and who was wrong.  Nicely.

Conversely, how can it be somehow 'wrong' to speculate that the next Fairport album will be surprisingly good  by some is entirely beyond me. And for this site to be a place where all discussion is valid-good and bad and for those of us who still feel excited about a new Fairport release to be able to feel that way. Yes, I've heard these same arguments before here. I also quite enjoyed Myths and Heroes, as well as most of Festival Bell. Still do, as well as all or most of every Fairport album I own. But don't get me wrong. I don't, or haven't liked everything the band has done in almost 50 years, but the good still outweighs the bad by far for me. That is why I think some of us on here have a hard time when the 'here we go again' begins again based purely on speculation. I have hopes of being amazed/surprised/excited by the new album.  I have for every record by every one of my favorite artists (Runrig's final album The Story is a good case in point as it is a stunner). Will all those still hold true? I don't know....I haven't heard it yet.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 03:51:12 AM by RobertD » Logged

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2016, 09:34:32 AM »

If I'm allowed to put my opinion in, I loved Myths and Heroes, so I have high hopes for the new material, but I will also admit to being somewhat disappointed when I saw (in the Cropredy programme?) that the next album would be half live material, given all the live stuff that's out there already.  Let's hope it is somewhat unexpected versions of things we haven't heard for a while.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2016, 09:35:37 AM »

Problem is, all the people who might have contributed, who just don't bother because it isn't worth the risk of getting simultaneously shot down and bored to death...............qv the recent shrieks of anger over the use of the phrase "passed away" when Dave Pegg's brother died. For pity's sake!

It wasn't passed away that raised shrieks, it was"transitioned", for pity's sake!

The Dude abides
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2016, 09:37:41 AM »

If I'm allowed to put my opinion in, I loved Myths and Heroes, so I have high hopes for the new material, but I will also admit to being somewhat disappointed when I saw (in the Cropredy programme?) that the next album would be half live material, given all the live stuff that's out there already.  Let's hope it is somewhat unexpected versions of things we haven't heard for a while.

A post which I think proves just what a difficult, nay impossible, situation the band have got themselves into.  I do have genuine sympathy for them....it's almost like they end up satisfying nobody in a desperate attempt to please both 'wings' of the Fairport Party.  There's a lot of that about these days!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2016, 10:02:33 AM »

It wasn't passed away that raised shrieks, it was"transitioned", for pity's sake!

Who poked the bear?  Wink Grin
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2016, 10:10:50 AM »

A post which I think proves just what a difficult, nay impossible, situation the band have got themselves into.  

It seems to me that some peeps just want to think that Fairport are in a difficult situation... 

Personally I will look forward to the new album with open arms...  call me a sycophant if you like, but
never forget that Fairport have been a band for 50 years... FIFTY.. what a great achievement that is!

I will be celebrating this not criticising them for something not yet heard.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2016, 10:31:22 AM »

They really are in a cleft stick sometimes - if they put out a 50th anniversary album of new songs folks would suggest they are ignoring their heritage, they can't do another full retrospective because By Popular Request is so recent, what have they ended up with then? Well we obviously don't know the end results yet, I am excited about Robert Plant guesting and what that will entail, never been that much of a Jacqui McShee fan so ho-hum about her input. The recent pattern seems to be some olf and some new but will this be a double album do we think?

Will I bother buying it? Who knows, i haven't bought their last few albums because listens via spotify haven't really moved me to do so - long gone are the days when I would buy an album out of loyalty to the band. But I will be going to to the tour next year after a longish break and am planning to attend Cropredy. 50 years is to be celebrated after all.

DW
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2016, 11:38:30 AM »

If that's what they need to use, then maybe let be. I usually use 'dead', but there are some days when it hurts too much.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2016, 12:35:16 PM »

I haven't bought a Fpt album for many years. Am I allowed to criticize the ones I haven't bought (yet)??  Cheesy Grin Grin Wink
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2016, 12:43:44 PM »

Only if one of them is Gottle o'Geer  Wink - which, fwiw, I quite enjoy...

Flobbadob!
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2016, 12:59:27 PM »

I haven't bought a Fpt album for many years. Am I allowed to criticize the ones I haven't bought (yet)??  Cheesy Grin Grin Wink

Presumably not buying them is criticism in itself!  Grin Wink
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2016, 02:02:08 PM »

yes, but you probably already know have saved many dozens of pounds on unnecessary things.

The Dude abides
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2016, 02:25:50 PM »

The thing I really look forward to about a new Fairport Album is the conversation here. I am not joking about that, I genuinely enjoy the diverse opinions.

We can all be negative about what it might be, some of us will buy it anyway, some will be proud of not buying it and then sneak off to listen on some streaming service and others will enjoy being picky, while others will just enjoy the album. The thing is there will be an argument/discussion and some of it may end up back in the arms carpark again, until then though it may be best not to take things personally as I don't believe any of this is meant that way.

Neil

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2016, 02:34:50 PM »

yes, but you probably already know have saved many dozens of pounds on unnecessary things.

When I think about how much money I've saved on Frank Zappa albums over the years it makes my head spin!

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2016, 02:45:57 PM »

When I think about how much money I've saved on Frank Zappa albums over the years it makes my head spin!

Yes, between him and the Grateful Dead, how come I'm not a millionaire? Wink

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2016, 10:55:25 AM »

For everybody that is put off by a little (almost always constructive) criticism of their beloved heroes, there is another person who's alienated by uncritical sycophantic praise.  Horses for courses.  It's a place for discussion.  That's what discussion means!  If you're 'not allowed to' discuss a new album (which includes speculating about it in advance following a press release) then there really is no point for it to exist.

Your opinion, others may vary. But "constructive" it can't be, before release, can it?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: