TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:24:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sense of Occasion  (Read 203313 times)
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #400 on: February 25, 2007, 09:51:48 PM »

I know that this is slightly off the subject, but does anyone know where you can buy a new copy of WKWTTG, other than eBay!! Smiley  Huh I've heard that it's a really good album and I'd like to get a copy.

Difren't strokes I s'pose, but I thought it sucked big logs.

But then it was following the exclent 'Jewel in the Crown', so maybe it was just the dissapointment that it was not as good.

I will give it another listen and report back.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #401 on: February 26, 2007, 03:01:21 AM »

After a thoughtful period of contemplation on the matter of cover versions, I've just been listening to the "Untouchable" track by Glenn Tolbrook and FC and "Love On A Farmboy's Wages" by FC and XTC back-to-back.

Spelling Mr Leslie Sir Bob will have to give you a good telling off after earlier comments you've made regarding lazy spelling.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #402 on: February 26, 2007, 08:30:36 AM »

Aye, hoist by my own petard.  Embarrassed

But the points I made remain valid, I believe.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
simon frisby
George Takei Socks

Loc: Great Yarmouth Norfolk

They made me do it!

« Reply #403 on: February 26, 2007, 11:07:38 AM »

Have listened to the album several times now and must admit i really like it. I feel that the 'The Vision' is a bit nondescript and IMHO is probably the albums weekest moment.
Regarding ' Untouchable' and 'Farmboy' i like them but then i have never heard the original versions so cannot compare and judge.
The one worrying trend i have noticed on this album and OTNH is that Simons vocals seem to be get sidlined by Chris, and as much as i like Chris i have to say that Simon is a fair stronger singer. Maybe its down to the fact that the songs Chris writes are really only suited to his range i.e more 'folky', and they have to rely on outside writers for the more rockier numbers to suit Simons voice.

Just my opinion, whats everyone else think!

Monster? I'll have you know I'm British!
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #404 on: February 26, 2007, 01:46:04 PM »

Here is my tuppence worth....

Keep on Turning the Wheel –  enjoying this track more with each play – a very catchy chorus. Smiley

Love on a Farmboy’s Wages – love the mando riff. (Someone will correct me if I am using incorrect terminology, I’m sure). I feel Simon’s vocal range is being stretched by this song, perhaps it would have suited Chris’s voice better.

Bowman’s Return. –  Hmmmm. Jury is still out I'm afraid.

Dakota to Manchester. – Repetitive and dull. Don’t care for this.

Spring Song – I like this one – even the “dee dee dee dee”….bits.

Polly on the Shore – I’ve never cared much for this song I’m afraid. (ducks to avoid missiles being hurled from the rest of the board) I’ve always thought it a bit of a dirge. Simon in fine voice. Great instrumental breaks too.

Just Dandy – Just a “filler” in my opinion. Next!

Tam Lin – Well executed, but I already have a Sandy and a Swarb version of this ballad. Love the key changes.

In Our Town – Hmm. Not sure. Pleasant enough tune. Very MOR.

Edge of the World – This track really ROCKS!

Hawkwood’s Army –  And this one rocks EVEN MORE!

The Vision – I love this sweet melody but the lyrics are SO cliché-ridden…..

Your Heart and Mine – Another charming romantic piece from the pen of Ric Sanders.

Untouchable – one of the best tracks on this album in my opinion. I really enjoy it!

Galileo’s Apology -  Lovely to see a PJ Wright track putting in an appearance.

Best Wishes – Charming, but possibly a little "twee".

So there it is. A bit like the curate's egg - good in parts.

Gower Flower has now left the country!

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #405 on: February 26, 2007, 02:19:01 PM »

It was well and balancedly (new word that!) reviewed in the Telegraph Arts supplement yesterday.

I agree - a balanced article about Fairport - although only 26 words were actually devoted to the album.

"Moreover, Sense of Occasion, improves with each hearing, from the whimsical opener Keep on Turning the Wheel to the pleasing harmonies and sentiments of Best Wishes.  (Colin Randall)
Sir Martin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #406 on: February 26, 2007, 07:38:55 PM »

Its interesting to see SM commenting that the production is poor. Production being something others have said is excellent.

For clarity - I meant Production in the sense of keeping the musicians under control & imposing some shape and structure on the record (e.g Hawkwoods army could be much improved with a bit of a lighter touch, something a good producer should bring to the mix).

In terms of 'is it recorded well and clearly' then the production is fine.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #407 on: February 26, 2007, 07:42:46 PM »

i ve been banging that particular drum for years,an outside producer is what is required
the recording, engineering and mastering are fine

The Dude abides
Sir Martin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #408 on: February 26, 2007, 07:48:43 PM »

I know that this is slightly off the subject, but does anyone know where you can buy a new copy of WKWTTG, other than eBay!! Smiley  Huh I've heard that it's a really good album and I'd like to get a copy.

But then it was following the exclent 'Jewel in the Crown', so maybe it was just the dissapointment that it was not as good.

Well, a lot better then I remembered thats for sure.

John Gaudie has been a classic for a while, although the version here is not so hot, I think the repeated touring sharpened this up a lot.

Dangerous is a monster track - best one here and probably not topped since.

Here's to Tom Paine is also a bit of a lost classic - don't remember hearing it live much.

I suspect that my historical bad attitude to this album is because a) its not in the same league as 'Jewel', the last classic IMO, and b) the **** cover version (what were you thinking lads?), and c) finishing an album with two live tracks because you can't be arsed to record a full album, despite some tracks over staying their welcome.

In retrospect probably a bit harsh as their are some great tracks and performances in the first half.

Anyway, sorry for getting us off track again - I hear Fairport have a new album out.....

Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #409 on: February 26, 2007, 08:10:44 PM »

John Gaudie has been a classic for a while, although the version here is not so hot, I think the repeated touring sharpened this up a lot.
Wait a minute. You seem to be talking about Wishfulness Waltz, not WKWTTG
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #410 on: February 26, 2007, 08:36:45 PM »

Dangerous is a monster track - best one here and probably not topped since.

Here's to Tom Paine is also a bit of a lost classic - don't remember hearing it live much.

I suspect that my historical bad attitude to this album is because a) its not in the same league as 'Jewel', the last classic IMO, and b) the **** cover version (what were you thinking lads?), and c) finishing an album with two live tracks because you can't be arsed to record a full album, despite some tracks over staying their welcome.

In retrospect probably a bit harsh as their are some great tracks and performances in the first half.

Anyway, sorry for getting us off track again - I hear Fairport have a new album out.....

I think "harsh" is the word. The two live tracks are surely just bonuses. The album would be sufficiently long without them but, as the man said, different strokes.... I love WKWTTG pretty much from start to finish whereas I find Jewel In The Crown patchy and was disappointed with it after Five Seasons.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #411 on: February 26, 2007, 08:50:21 PM »

Wait a minute. You seem to be talking about Wishfulness Waltz, not WKWTTG
My bad. I was confusing WKWTTG with Who Knows? ... the Woodworm Archives Vol 1.
Picking up coat and hat ...
Sir Martin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #412 on: February 26, 2007, 09:29:13 PM »

I think "harsh" is the word. The two live tracks are surely just bonuses. The album would be sufficiently long without them but, as the man said, different strokes.... I love WKWTTG pretty much from start to finish whereas I find Jewel In The Crown patchy and was disappointed with it after Five Seasons.

long yes, but only a ten track album if you discount the two live tracks.

We must be on different wavelengths anyway, because I don't rate Five Seasons much!

JohnH
Pace some moments

Loc: Petersfield, Hampshire

« Reply #413 on: February 28, 2007, 10:02:52 PM »

is there somewhere a poor benighted colonial could hear samples from the album?
Cheers, Hester

30-second samples here:
http://tinyurl.com/yt9jmo

Cheap too, but I don't have much confidence that any of the $ would find its way Oxfordshirewards.

John
Adam B

Loc: Blackburn, Lancashire

« Reply #414 on: March 01, 2007, 01:09:53 AM »

I'm really getting into 'Sense of Occasion' now. I think it's a fine album, there are some grand tunes there.
With regard to the nasty crackle on 'Untouchable' at 3:15 or so - yes, it's really noticeable in my left channel.
Nevertheless, it doesn't spoil it too much for me.
By the way, I bought my copy from HMV, for £11. A whole two quid cheaper than elsewhere! Mind you, it doesn't stop me from thinking that HMV is still a rubbish record shop.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #415 on: March 01, 2007, 06:43:42 AM »

By the way, I bought my copy from HMV, for £11. A whole two quid cheaper than elsewhere! Mind you, it doesn't stop me from thinking that HMV is still a rubbish record shop.

And a whole £2.01 more than HMV are charging for selling it (delivered to the UK) online.  Weird that.....

http://www.find-cd.co.uk/cds/B000MCHEBO-fairport-convention-sense-of-occasion.htm

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #416 on: March 01, 2007, 08:09:19 AM »

More of what counts for modern music journalism...this is the extent of the review for SoO in 'this month's (Apr) edition of Uncut thrown onto the end of an equally bankrupt half dozen sentences on the latest three reissues:

"But like a Lancaster patched up for air shows, the Fairport franchise has survived, flourished even.  SoO includes XTC and Glenn Tilbrook covers and a rethink of Tam Lin as well as new material.  The Cropredy Capers never end."

Not sure how much the ****er got paid for that masterpiece but whatever it was is too much  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
MPinelli

Loc: Rye, New York USA

« Reply #417 on: March 01, 2007, 07:56:30 PM »

I must admit, I wasn't crazy about this disc on first listen, but it's growing on me at an incredible rate.

Well done Fairport!
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #418 on: March 03, 2007, 04:44:20 PM »

By the way it's £9.99 in Borders  Grin

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #419 on: March 04, 2007, 06:18:18 AM »

4 weeks and still no sign, I think it's coming by carrier pigeon. Huh

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: