TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:00:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Autumn Dates  (Read 71988 times)
Lost John

Loc: The Crouch Delta

Home, home again

« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2005, 08:49:30 AM »

It’s London tonight (100 club?), so I hope all those that are going tonight have just as marvellous and magical an evening as I did last night!

Oh we most certainly did!

It was a really up beat night, both on stage and in the audience (apart from the loud bloke and his boozled mate by the central pillar - numpties!)

The set was much as described by others, on earlier nights  and was magnificent It was great to hear some old friends and the highlight, IMHO, was "Close to the Wind" - I love that song! Ric's jazz interludes were really special and seemed to fit into the set perfectly.

All round great night and now looking forward to to the Wintour when, hopefully, the two absentees, Matty and Peggy, will make triumphant returns.

"Welcome to the world famous Station Arms, what would you like, punter?"
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2005, 11:08:22 AM »

Must echo Lost John's comments. Especially about the pratts beside the pillar who despite being asked then told to shut up continued talking through most of the evening. Including most of the quiet bits  Angry

Thought the segue from Hiring Fair to Summer time was brill but then most of the evening was excellent. The chaps looked relaxed and seemed to be enjoying themselves. Although Ric had his usual problem of trying to stay seated throughout.  Grin

Nice to meet Mark and Chris Bates. As well as (briefly) Lars.

Other than the smokey atmosphere a great night. And yes that is a dig at you two Mark & Chris  Wink Grin

cheers

MikeC

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
steveb

Loc: London

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2005, 11:25:33 AM »

Yes, a great night again at the 100 club, really enjoyed the intimate atmosphere of the set.  I had a peek at the setlist and was pleased to see Over the Lancashire Hills on it but was disappointed when it wasn't played.  I also  enjoyed Close To You and Ric's Jazzy violin on Summertime and I'm Already There is a classic IMO.

I can't understand people who pay to come to a gig and talk throughout.Why!!??

I said hello to Chris but didn't manage to speak to anyone else, maybe see some of you at Lewes or Finchley.

Dirty linen
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2005, 03:13:39 PM »

Anyone going to the Forest of Dean Theatre next Wednesday? (other than the band).

Flobbadob!
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2005, 04:55:35 PM »

I hadn’t heard Close to the Wind before, so now I’ll have to go and get the appropriate album as obviously I don’t have it yet. 

'In Real Time', Anna. Coincided with my first Cropredy.

Just a thought. The words and music are in the first song book. Ric's part would sound great on a flute.

M of F
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2005, 05:23:54 PM »

Oddly enough, I had a conversation along similar lines with Ric on Tuesday night...  Although mostly about his instrumentals.

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2005, 05:32:50 PM »

I hadn’t heard Close to the Wind before, so now I’ll have to go and get the appropriate album as obviously I don’t have it yet. 

'In Real Time', Anna. Coincided with my first Cropredy.

Just a thought. The words and music are in the first song book. Ric's part would sound great on a flute.

M of F

And originally on the Swarbrick & Nicol album "Close to the Wind", rereleased on CD in a 2 on one combination called "Close to the White Bear"

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2005, 10:14:22 PM »

The two clowns at the back did eventually shut up.

After I threatened them with physical violence. I only wish I had done it earlier Angry

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2005, 09:30:59 AM »

The two clowns at the back did eventually shut up.

After I threatened them with physical violence. I only wish I had done it earlier Angry

And may I say you did it with grace and style-much appreciated by us wimps who were standing near them.
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2005, 09:59:52 AM »

I did start by trying to be polite to them, but it was in the middle of a track and they weren't getting the message. I object to having to resort to such threats, but it seemed the quickest way to resolve the situation.

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2005, 09:38:00 AM »

Well I was so pleased to have been able to get to the ball last night after the doubt...  and it came up to all expectations! The Mill in Mansfield is a pubrocktype venue.. only my 2nd time there..  it's basic with a hard floor for sitting on.. which we did.. not so easy to get up from though ( Embarrassed) The audience was small.. at first worryingly so.. but grew..  maybe 60ish, not sure, but all very appreciative. One young lad went round getting his stripey teeshirt signed by the band and at the end shouted out 'I'm in love' (with the band I presumed!)

It was good to see Rachel and her daughters and friends who all enjoyed the evening equally.  The set list was as above.. no Lancashire Hills though. The different arrangements were very refreshing and superbly played as ever.  The Hiring Fair was magnificent and followed by Summertime even more Hardyesque.  I was pleased to see that the horse in Banbury Fair has now reached its full stature.. seventeen hands high!

A chat with Simon in the interval..  I must apologise to him.. for my comments re his jumper  Grin  It was the first frosty evening of the year here and we had to scrape the car before the 10 minute drive home..  An excellent night..  appetite now thoroughly whetted for the wintour now.. oh and the Dylans and the Aggies of course!

AmyJen Grin Grin Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2005, 09:47:09 AM »

The audience was small.. at first worryingly so.. but grew..  maybe 60ish, not sure, but all very appreciative.

It does seem to be some sort of secret tour, for something innovative and interresting.  Undecided

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2005, 09:49:44 AM »

I think it was more that Mansfield is in a bit of a black hole really Shocked

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
JonHirst

Loc: Yorkshire

« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2005, 10:34:27 AM »

Thu 17/11 at Radcliffe Civic Suite - new venue for us, but easy to find and to park.  Bit of a dash to get there, but no matter - FC had arrived late due to traffic snarl up on the M6 so we still had to wait to get into the hall, but then got great seats on row 3.  The evening started off with a support set of 40-45 mins from "Fish on a stick" - not bad, but not what we had gone to see (although the bass player's BVs were fantastic).  Then after a 20 mins interval best part of 2 hours of FC.  Nothing to add to the highlights that others have mentioned earlier - absolutely great  Grin  But a special mention for Simon's guitar playing, how does he do it!  Cool

Looking forward to the Albion Christmas show next....

Jon

Vodka, tractors and rock 'n' roll......
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2005, 10:35:52 AM »

Where is that John?

JonHirst

« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2005, 10:38:14 AM »

Hi Amethyst

Just down the road from Bury (or up depending on which direction you approach from!)...

Jon

Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2005, 10:40:53 AM »

Thank you Jon.. I wasn't sure.. no that's not true.. I hadn't a clue!!!

AmyJen Grin

JonHirst

« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2005, 10:43:16 AM »

Not surprised you hadn't heard of it - neither had we until the tour dates were announced.

Jon

Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2005, 02:36:19 PM »

Anyone noticed Chris's new bouzouki? Looks like a scaled up scroll mando. Good rich sound too.

I can't find it on Ozark's site for that is what it is labelled. So could it be a special or pre-production?? Didn't get chance to bore ask Chris.

Puggzz

JonHirst

« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2005, 12:14:46 PM »

Hi Puggzz

Cool Cool Cool yep - great sound and VERY cool I'd say.

Jon

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: