Martin Carthy- Desert Island Discs
<< < (2/3) > >>
mickf:
Way back in the 70s I saw him take an absolute age to tune and retune his guitar on stage and getting more than a little bit annoyed with himself. However, I also recall seeing Martin with John Kirkpatrick in Barry about 4 or 5 years ago. He was in a talkative mood after the concert and was taken aback when I said I loved his version of 'Nothing Rhymed' from his album 'Because It's There'. Age seemed to have mellowed him. All in all he came across as a lovely man.
DarrenWilliams:
Quote from: mickf on September 07, 2021, 10:27:12 AM

Way back in the 70s I saw him take an absolute age to tune and retune his guitar on stage and getting more than a little bit annoyed with himself. However, I also recall seeing Martin with John Kirkpatrick in Barry about 4 or 5 years ago. He was in a talkative mood after the concert and was taken aback when I said I loved his version of 'Nothing Rhymed' from his album 'Because It's There'. Age seemed to have mellowed him. All in all he came across as a lovely man.

I also love that song, and I'd not heard the original when I first heard Martin's version. Because Its' There and Out of the Cut are two of my favourite albums of his. There's something about the guitar sound, and his singing was much less nasally than his 70s records.

I remember the first time I saw Martin Carthy was with Swarb at the Fylde Folk Festival in 1991. He was struggling to tune his mandolin and in the end just gave up and handed it to Swarb.
mickf:
I was told by a friend that Martin's problem with tuning was due to the fact that he has 'perfect pitch', so if it is only slightly off he can hear it, even if no-one else can. I have no idea if that's true, but it would explain a lot.
Jamie73:
Quote from: mickf on September 07, 2021, 10:27:12 AM

I saw him around 10 years ago in London and I sheepishly asked him at half-time if he did any requests. He asked for what and I replied "Prince Heathen", to which he went "Yeah, alright". When he started introducing the song we applauded and he shouted "Don't do that yet - it could be ****!".
ColinB:
Eliza retweeted this a couple of days ago. They had a bit of a sing after the plaque was unveiled. There's a video clip on @angus_young61's page. It's in Hull in case you're wondering.

Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page