TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:55:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to start for Richard Thompson virgins  (Read 26671 times)
Ian Mobley

Loc: Manchester, UK

« on: July 11, 2006, 07:06:01 PM »

To my eternal shame I must admit to owning nothing by the great man.  But there is a big back catalogue out there, so where should I start if I am only going to by one album?

Let the arguments commence!!!

Thanks

IM
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 07:16:46 PM »

Hello ian and a warm welcome.

Action-Packed the anthology of his CD's on Capitol is a good sampler as it covers albums over the best part of a decade.  It also has Vincent Black Lightning.  Nuff said.

Good luck - the recommendations on this one could well bankrupt you!

David

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 07:24:01 PM »

Mock Tudor which includes what must be one of the best rock tracks of all time 'Cooksferry Queen'. If only for DM's drumming.

To get into some of the stuff he usually excerpts from at Cropredy 'Hand of Kindness. Not bad backing musicians, either Wink
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 07:39:36 PM »

The Holy Trinity have got to be:

1. I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight
2. Shoot Out The Lights
3. Hand of Kindness

David's Capitol Years sampler suggestion might also be a good idea. I tend to find the later stuff (post mid-80s) doesn't live up to the quality of what came before but there have been some decent later albums like 'Rumour & Sigh'. I think generally he's tended to move towards a more singer-songwriter direction from the early 90s onwards whereas the albums with Linda and the early solo albums were very much rock/folk-rock, and at times - like on 'Hand of Kindness' and live - almost folk-rock 'n' roll.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 08:03:12 PM »

I'd say start with Mock Tudor, and if there's nothing there you like, then it's probably not worth going any further. Roll Eyes Most newbies have trouble with the voice initially but it's worth persevering. Move on to Action Packed to sample the latter years and then see if you can dig out Across A Crowded Room. Only then, Grasshopper, will you be ready for Shoot Out The Lights. If you get as far as French, Frith, Kaiser and Thompson there's some sort of prize. Get into Henry The Human Fly and he's alleged to pop round and give you a badge.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 08:07:10 PM »

Start out with Henry the Human Fly, the reason being, is that everything after is so much easier. Seriously this is a very underated album and worth it for The Angels Took My Racehorse Away and Poor Ditching Boy.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 10:02:41 PM »

i would start with henry, move on to bright lights, then try shoot out and then as a taster of what hes up to now try old kit bag or mock tudor
 if he suits you youll soon be after the rest, do them chronologically

The Dude abides
Curt

Loc: Forest Hill, SE London, England

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 10:09:33 PM »

Old Kit Bag is to me the most accessible and, well, best in terms of geetar since Fairport Convention's first album
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 10:50:58 PM »

Just be warned, you'll probably end up wanting to buy them all. But for three starters from different eras and with different charactertry

Bright Lights
Hand of kindness
Mock Tudor

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
James SftBH
Tertiary Donna
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Posh North Essex

Freedom is not just a word; it is an activity.

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 10:59:52 PM »

'Rumour and Sigh' is a pretty good place to start to. I'm not helping, am I?

Always trust your cape.
www.songsfromthebluehouse.com
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 11:07:41 PM »

where should I start if I am only going to by one album?

One purchase?

Get the Box Set.

That'll keep you busy for a while at least  Smiley

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 11:29:17 PM »

Hand of Kindness (by many a mile)

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 11:34:02 PM »

While it is a big outlay I bought the Box Set and having nothing else, I suspect it covers most bases (I did get it for £35 which helped) but it probably is cheating.

Happy mainly.
Dr Monk

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 07:39:42 AM »

OK I genereally prefer 'proper albums' but in RT's case there are two compilations that would give really good overview of his career and all the best stuff:

There's a good,and very affordable compilation of the Island years (usually five or six quid in Fopp or somewhere like it) called 'End of the Rainbow: The best of RIchard and Linda Thompson' with all the classics on it.

Previously mentioned, 'Action Packed' is the compilation of the Capitol period and includes the best tracks froim Mock Tudor etc and, yes ,Vincent Black Lightning - it was this CD that got me hooked and was a good strarting point.

Perhaps the best way in though would be to catch him live - I took a mate to see him in the US a couple of years ago that had never heard of him- let alone listened to him- and he was blown away.

Monkers
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 01:26:33 PM »

If the boxed set is out,I would actually go for the 'official' bootlegs as a starting point;

Celtschmetz for Richard Accoustic
Semi Detatched Mock Tudor for the band sound
And More Guitar because it is the 'classic' line up of the Richard Thompson band,and it features more er guitar!

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 04:43:57 PM »

The first RT album I bought was 'Rumour & Sigh' as it was probably the most accessible of his albums available at the time I discovered he existed.  However, I do agree with that 'Mock Tudor' is probably an ideal first purchase these days - it's worth it for 'Bethsheba Smiles' alone IMHO.

If you then find you really like RT the superb box set would make a great birthday/Christmas present.  Wink

Cheers
Dunc

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 05:08:20 PM »

Unofficial and dodgy boots just uploaded at http://www.myspace.com/richardandlindathompson   

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 05:25:06 PM »

You see, Ian - I did warn you.  Sort that bank loan now before it's too late! Grin

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 07:56:49 PM »

Unofficial and dodgy boots just uploaded at http://www.myspace.com/richardandlindathompson   

And removed from myspace swiftly methinks!!

Happy mainly.
Ian Mobley

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 09:16:46 PM »

Thanks to all who have contributed - better get my birthday present list out then.

Just out of interest, has anybody else bought the Chris Rea box set 'Blue Guitars'?  I have to say, if you think he is all about the Jeremy Clarkson - 'Best driving album in the world.... ever' tracks - you will be pleasantly surprised.  Having survived his dreadful illness, which took him to 'last rites' territory,  Chris decided to make the album he wanted - and it grew from there, into a multi CD box set - tracing popular music from West African traditional music - through to Motown etc, and it's a testament to his songwriting skills that he has been able to write 100+ songs spanning the genres.  Comes with  a great DVD of 'the making of' too, featuring top notch musicians from right around the world.

Highly recommended by yours truly, and available for about £30 at MVC, if you have one near you (less than half price!)

Regards

IM
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: