TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:55:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Web Site!  (Read 47587 times)
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2007, 09:59:22 AM »

I got that this morning Andy (using IE6 at work). Cleared the cache and deleted cookies and all was OK after that. First time its happened tho  Undecided

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2007, 10:02:37 AM »

you dont think Simon has just booked the "surprise guest lady singer(s)" for cropredy by any chance do you Shocked

Can't be worse than Lulu !

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2007, 10:02:55 AM »

I've just noticed that my 'great mate' Catherine is in one of the photos in the Gallery...  second page.. top gate crew!!

Bet she doesn't realise though  Grin Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2007, 10:03:55 AM »

I got that this morning Andy (using IE6 at work). Cleared the cache and deleted cookies and all was OK after that. First time its happened tho  Undecided

I love the "GALLERY BLANK" fillers! Really! Great!

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2007, 10:45:02 AM »

you dont think Simon has just booked the "surprise guest lady singer(s)" for cropredy by any chance do you Shocked

Stranger things have happened!.....anyone offering odds? Opik'll be at home at an all-day bar....

IALso, on that site, is that Sylvia Thompson (as in better half of Danny)?

I think Simon might have something to say.....that's Mrs Sylvia Nicol!

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2007, 10:57:28 AM »

OK, OK, I didn't know! We're not all StalkaWhilers you know.

YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2007, 11:24:44 AM »

Dead right it doesn't work on Opera and I make the home page about 500KB.
I always thought that the last site just needed the graphics done more professionally (they were all jagged) and the indexing was poor, but overall it worked nicely and was simple.
The new design seems to be out of a box of 'Instant PHP Web Site'.

Also, I'm sure that with PayPal most people will think 'can not be arsed' and go away. I've been telling them for years, that they want a proper shop with a credit/debit card portal. The charges might be 1% higher than PayPal, but I'm sure that sales would be more than 1% up.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2007, 11:28:19 AM »

Why the anti Paypal stance Colin. I've never had any problems using it in the past. Am I missing something?

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2007, 11:38:31 AM »

Why the anti Paypal stance Colin. I've never had any problems using it in the past. Am I missing something?

I like Paypal too...but I do agree with Colin that - for whatever reasons - a lot of people do seem to have an aversion to using it.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2007, 11:40:59 AM »

Which, these days, I don't understand. You don't even need to register with them now.....very quick & secure. It's owned by eBay, for those that aren't yet aware.

YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2007, 11:41:27 AM »

Nothing against them. They pay quickly and their charges are very reasonable.
My point is that it will put off people who do not know about them and are suspicious because it's something different. I sell lots of things on the net and you have to make it as simple as possible for people to part with their money.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2007, 11:43:23 AM »

Don't like it.  Unnecessarily over complicated.  And what's with those silly white boxes that resize to show the photo's in the gallery ?  What does that add to anything ?  Code for codes sake...

Nice colour, that's about it.

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2007, 12:17:29 PM »

And what's with those silly white boxes that resize to show the photo's in the gallery ?  

More importantly......not a single bloody fez or tiara to be seen........... Sad

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2007, 12:18:56 PM »

The new design seems to be out of a box of 'Instant PHP Web Site'.

Dead right there, Colin. I suspect there's a steep learning curve being embarked upon.

More importantly......nit a single bloody fez or tiara to be seen........... Sad

TalkAWhilers will no doubt appear at some stage. Don't get paranoid.  Fez Tiara

Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2007, 12:27:16 PM »

I have to say that I don't like the new look either I'm afraid. I liked the old look much better Undecided

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2007, 12:34:43 PM »

I have to say that I don't like the new look either I'm afraid. I liked the old look much better Undecided

MMmm the Iconic influence perhaps?

"Our media business provides press and PR services including tour and event publicity, web and print design and album launch campaigns."

I don't know about the rest of their claims, but their web design skills are extremely suspect. Have you seen their own site? If I was an artist wanting to use the web to further my career, I suspect I may talk to someone who demonstrated a better understanding of on-line marketing.

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2007, 12:49:37 PM »

"Our media business provides press and PR services including tour and event publicity, web and print design and album launch campaigns."

I don't know about the rest of their claims, but their web design skills are extremely suspect. Have you seen their own site? If I was an artist wanting to use the web to further my career, I suspect I may talk to someone who demonstrated a better understanding of on-line marketing.

Personally Ive never liked their website either always thought it boring and well.... green Roll Eyes

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
leahdon (Donna)
Secret Fez Admirer

Loc: Gloucestershire

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2007, 01:16:49 PM »

Um, now I'm confused.  

The website provided by Iconic was the one that has just been replaced. You know, the one with few whizz-bangs, but loads of good content, up-to-date information etc.

The new website is being provided by a specific web-design company, so theoretically they should know what they are doing from a web design point of view, if not from a marketing point of view.  They are using some of Iconic's old content, but on their site.

You seem to be criticising Iconic for something that is completely out of their hands... they have not been involved in the design of the new site.

Cheers,

Donna
xx
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2007, 02:06:33 PM »

The new Iconic website is not Andy or Stevie's - they've brought in an outside supplier - Alex Wright - to build it for them - and no, they're not connected to the company that designed the FC website - so the green is purely coincidental. Wasn't there a lot of green in the original Iconic site, anyway?

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2007, 02:18:20 PM »

Q: How many folkies does it take to change a website?

A: 1 + X... 1 to change it & X to discuss how good the old one was.

(OK, its an old joke).

I'm not absolutely "over the moon" about the new one, but I'll get used to it.

Flobbadob!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: