TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 16, 2024, 02:11:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RT Folk City 1982 Broadcast  (Read 19362 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 09:13:09 PM »

It's £9.99 at Chromedreams now....

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 10:15:07 PM »

It's £9.99 at Chromedreams now....

£7.99 at Play.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
David Blake

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 07:21:21 AM »

I can see why Richard is not happy about this.  I've managed to obtain a copy and when you put it into iTunes, the title of the disc comes up as 'Alone with his guitar - Bootleg'.  There is a fair amount of hiss audible.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 08:30:11 AM »

I can see why Richard is not happy about this.  I've managed to obtain a copy and when you put it into iTunes, the title of the disc comes up as 'Alone with his guitar - Bootleg'.  There is a fair amount of hiss audible.

Sad  That's the wrong side of dubious then.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 09:54:27 AM »

Sad  That's the wrong side of dubious then.

Jules

Not necessarily. The Springsteen set that Leftfield Media issues was also previously issued as a bootleg and ITunes recognises that as such too but LM have done a really nice job of packaging and legitimising it. From what I understand, these recordings have been legally licensed albeit through a loophole in the law though I'm not sure whether the artists see any royalties from them. To be fair, the publicity blurb on the Amazon site before they took it down did refer to the audible hiss on the tape.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 08:32:39 PM »

New post at richardthompson-music.com says the Folk City CD is unauthorized (unauthorised for most of you) and RT is exploring legal options.

Having said that, it's quite a nice snapshot of RT the nascent solo performer.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2011, 10:14:21 AM »

I think there was talk on the RT list that it is the same recirding that Small Town Romance was from, or is my memory carp? :-)

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 05:20:31 PM »

I think there was talk on the RT list that it is the same recirding that Small Town Romance was from, or is my memory carp? :-)

Dunno... the whole thing sounds a bit fishy to me...  Roll Eyes Wink

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 05:23:31 PM »

I am correct, got it confirmed. But RT will never re-release it, and there's now a note on RT's website about this.

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 08:48:14 AM »

Sorry can't find the original thread. I don't if this is legal yet, but I got a copy in my local HMV about 5 minutes ago.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 08:53:53 AM »

Sorry can't find the original thread. I don't if this is legal yet, but I got a copy in my local HMV about 5 minutes ago.

illegal as you must have robbed the shop since it doesnt open till 9 AM

The Dude abides
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 08:58:26 AM »

Richard isn't happy and neither is his management

http://www.richardthompson-music.com/catch_of_the_day.asp?id=1413

and here is the other thread

http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=37692.15

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 09:21:06 AM »

illegal as you must have robbed the shop since it doesnt open till 9 AM

Our Hmv opens at 8.30 am on Sat. and Monday.

Last time i looked HMV online had it listed too. Better be quick if you want it, people-  that is, if you don't m ind offending the delicate sensibilities of the artist.

Thanks for the links, Judy.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2011, 11:22:09 AM »

It's on Spotify if you want to give it a listen without parting with any of your hard-earned. I can't say I'm all that bothered about it. I've got a copy of Small Town Romance but rarely listen to it. Much prefer Celtschmerz.

They've got a couple of other RT albums (bootlegs?) I haven't seen before - Faithless and The Chrono Show. The latter includes Jack O'Diamonds.

Edit: I just found those 2 listed on the Beesweb site. He's released so many albums it's difficult to keep up!

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2011, 06:25:04 PM »

Speaking of Celtschmerz don't suppose any RT obssessives know which track was recorded at which date on the tour?

Well I never did..
Simon P

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 09:32:34 PM »

I just checked this on Spotify and it's definitely the Alone With His Guitar bootleg repackaged, which is actually one of the worst sounding RT boots out there. It has now been rendered obsolete by the excellent 4 disc Live at Gerde's boot which includes three of the four sets that Small Town Romance was culled from, in near perfect sound quality. These were early and late shows on Sep 29th/30th 1982 at Gerde's Folk City, New York, with the Sep 29th early show the only one yet to surface. If anyone wanted to hear these recordings - and avoid giving money to bootleggers - they could probably PM someone who had them or something.

By Richard's current standards, it's fair to say that these performances sound almost rudimentary, but in terms of what they represent they're unbeatable.

Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2011, 04:17:39 PM »

It's on Spotify if you want to give it a listen without parting with any of your hard-earned. I can't say I'm all that bothered about it. I've got a copy of Small Town Romance but rarely listen to it. Much prefer Celtschmerz.

They've got a couple of other RT albums (bootlegs?) I haven't seen before - Faithless and The Chrono Show. The latter includes Jack O'Diamonds.

Edit: I just found those 2 listed on the Beesweb site. He's released so many albums it's difficult to keep up!

Both are 'official' and both are excellent.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2011, 06:26:33 PM »

It would seem that Play.com are sending it out.

Jules

koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2011, 11:14:11 AM »

When I ordered this CD through Amazon Germany, after it became clear this release might be pulled, I thought: you know what? I'll buy two (while I still can), even though copies were already a bit more expensive there than standard, at €25 I think. I do some occasional selling on eBay: so why not? There's always completists who miss out first time around (as I missed the 19CD Sandy set, grr).

And so I did put that one copy on eBay. And yesterday, some 2 days into the auction, to my amazement I got a message that it has been removed off of eBay at RT's management's request. Geez.

So that makes it officially a bootleg then. Having heard it, I can understand that, this is really completists-only stuff. Although it might be seen as strange when an artist acts as if part of his past never existed.
Since this has been in shops officially, I would assume that royalties were paid and it's not technically a bootleg in financial terms? The issue being more of the we-won't-want-that-out kind? Though as recordings exists, these can't be erased either.
Who am I: but I would think a message on RT's website of distancing themselves from the album would be suffice? Hunting down and shooting down copies on eBay goes a little far. IMHO etc.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: