TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:01:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mega Rare "Fairport" Vinyl on eBay  (Read 9577 times)
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« on: April 09, 2007, 08:04:54 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FAIRPORT-CONVENTION-MEGA-RARE-UK-LP-w-BRIAN-MAXINE_W0QQitemZ140104066875QQcategoryZ58619QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 08:21:18 PM »

This was new to me too...it's not in the price guide though which is a little odd.  Wouldn't be surprised to see it go for a fairly hefty price...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 08:26:07 PM »

Yes it is rare, it comes up from time to time, I am sure someone will be along soon to tell you what it is really like. He sang at Cropredy I 1982 I think!

Happy mainly.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 08:28:28 PM »

Yeah, he did.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 08:41:05 PM »

i saw him perform with the 3 deperate mortages at salford university about 1976
you wouldnt ague with him ,or tell him to his face he was ****, but he was and it is.
its just the pub rock FC line up going through the motions of being a country band
 however it is by FC and as rare as hens teeth so worth having, but not at any price

The Dude abides
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 09:02:03 AM »

Wasn't he a wrestler?
I think I've got a track and other related stuff on an old sampler.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 09:14:42 AM »

He was indeed a wrestler, and on the evidence of this, should have stuck to the ring. Its RUBBISH.  Grin Grin

Completists only. Worth about 50p (which is what my mate Paul paid for it in a charity shop).

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Mark
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 09:18:23 AM »

He was indeed a wrestler, and on the evidence of this, should have stuck to the ring. Its RUBBISH.  Grin Grin

Let me be quite plain about this:

I would rather have an iPod surgically implanted that was programmed to play Fairports XXXV album from now to eternity than listen to THIS. Shocked

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 10:38:26 AM »

Completists only. Worth about 50p (which is what my mate Paul paid for it in a charity shop).

A completist asks: do Linda and Sandy sing backing vocals throughout this, or just on one track?

I'll take your word for it that it's a rubbish record!

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Mark
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 10:50:24 AM »

At the time, Wrestling was compulsory viewing on a Saturday morning for many people and the top Wrestlers were extremely popular.

Fairport were the record label's "House Band" and as a result when some gormless **** bright spark of a junior executive came up with the idea that Brian should make an album, guess who got the gig?

The friendships made did come in handy though. Peggy tells a very funny story about Brian being his "enforcer" in a dispute with a garage.

They (Fairport) all appear throughout the album from what I can remember. I really don't wan't to listen to it again to confirm exactly which tracks! Grin

Jim has a copy (it cost him a pint - I think I got the better of the deal!)- he might help out

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 03:26:56 PM »

I would rather have an iPod surgically implanted that was programmed to play Fairports XXXV album from now to eternity than listen to THIS. Shocked

You mean you don't like XXXV Huh one of my favourites and my first Fairport record

Mark
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 03:34:39 PM »

You mean you don't like XXXV Huh one of my favourites and my first Fairport record

Each to his own Ollie! Grin

My thoughts on this album have been aired many times on here - some agree, some don't!

What really annoys me is that I can't throw my copy away - It was the first present my Mother in Law ever bought me outside of Birthdays & Christmas, and she still asks me if I still have it every time I see her!

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 03:36:38 PM »

Each to his own Ollie! Grin

My thoughts on this album have been aired many times on here - some agree, some don't!

What really annoys me is that I can't throw my copy away - It was the first present my Mother in Law ever bought me outside of Birthday's & Christmas, and she still asks me if I still have it every time I see her!

Why not just glue it shut and stick it to the wall - then Ma-in-Law knows you still have it and you know you don't have to inflict it on your ears any more  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 03:37:54 PM »

Fairport were the record label's "House Band" and as a result when some gormless **** bright spark of a junior executive came up with the idea that Brian should make an album, guess who got the gig?

So, how many other "gems" are out there - crappy vocalist chancing his (or her arm) knows a record exec and ends up cutting an album backed by Fairport?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 03:48:55 PM »

Sorry Ollie, I'm not fond of it either. I quite like My Love Is In America & Talking About My Love but that's about it I'm afraid.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 03:50:12 PM »

I like The Crowd and the new version of Portmeirion the best. Ian's flute is wonderful.
Sorry Ollie, I'm not fond of it either. I quite like My Love Is In America & Talking About My Love but that's about it I'm afraid.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: