TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:18:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to start for Richard Thompson virgins  (Read 26616 times)
Stationary M25 Traveller

Loc: Not quite over the hill, Kent

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2006, 10:23:13 PM »

Hi Carol - see PM

Smiley

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2006, 11:36:26 PM »

Cool, what's on that one then?

Starts off with Tear Stained Letter, then the saddest of the saddest - How I wanted To, later on there's the band version of Devonside (with the most heartbreaking key change/fiddle break), ends up with a riproaring Two Left Feet. The backing band's not bad either. Trouble with that Thompson fellow is he will insist on playing his new stuff live.... Roll Eyes

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
CarolR

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2006, 04:57:40 PM »

Ahh all bands are a bit like that. Don't they know we only came to their gigs for our favourite old stuff?
Do we think there is any chance of a RT tour/gig? I know I could look this stuff up but surely conversation is the point of this board?
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2006, 05:18:26 PM »

Ahh all bands are a bit like that. Don't they know we only came to their gigs for our favourite old stuff?
Do we think there is any chance of a RT tour/gig? I know I could look this stuff up but surely conversation is the point of this board?

Depends if your prepared to go to the US.... http://www.richardthompson-music.com/Tour.asp

Wink

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
CarolR

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2006, 06:33:25 PM »

Oh I'd be so totally prepared but my bank manager says otherwise. Embarrassed

Pah what does he know?
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2006, 10:01:55 PM »

RT Band likely next year, once the new band CD is out...

Stationary M25 Traveller

Loc: Not quite over the hill, Kent

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2006, 11:03:43 PM »

Saw the old chap (on sparkling form) in Newark a few weeks ago, just before he fled back to the US.

When you can play an acoustic guitar like that, who needs electricity, a bass player or a full band ??

Well - I do rather like RT fronting a full band !!

He'll be back soon.

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again.
BPTNT
5-18

Loc: london W11

Tarzan versus the BPI

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2006, 11:46:25 PM »

Dunno about as starting points, but wouldn't want to be without Pour Down Like Silver or Guitar,Vocal. The latter is the odds & sods compilation from the mid '70s with incredible live versions of Calvary Cross and Night Comes In- completely inspiring, intense group interplay with John Kirkpatrick and the rhythm section dream-team of Peggy and DM. Seriously, this is mighty, mighty stuff! Also a nice selection of early Fairport rarities including the equally mighty Poor Will..Probably tricky to get hold of these days though...

Pour Down Like Silver is the conversion to Islam record; stark, very beautiful and includes (I reckon) Linda's finest vocals- The Poor Boy Is Taken Away, Dimming Of The Day, Shame Of Doing Wrong. Completely essential stuff (and probably only a fiver in yer local megastore) so no excuses...

Notice no one has yet mentioned the super-slick Richard & Linda T. albums from the late '70s yet- First Light and Sunnyvista....Not their greatest by any means, but some way from the disater they're sometimes portrayed as. Great songs on those...Strange Affair, Borrowed Time, Sisters, Pavanne, You're Gonna Need Somebody...And great memories of watching them together (one time only) under my Pa's cycling cape in the pouring rain at Cropredy at the first FC reunion...Ho-hum..

And...amazed no-ones mentioned Daring Adventures. Again, pretty slick but not in an overly obtrusive way and includes a number of  songs that still crop up in RT shows- Missie, Al Bowly's In Heaven, Valerie.... Some great guitar too...

Actually, really liked the Grizzly Man soundtrack  and last year's Front Parlour Ballads and I usually come round to the ones that I'm not initially keen on (Old Kit Bag, in particular) Come to think of it...has the guy ever made a truly ropey album?

Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2006, 03:49:41 PM »

Shame Of Doing Wrong.

Start here and you won't go wrong.... one of the greatest songs he ever wrote and a great performance from Linda.... but never recorded as well as many live versions...

So we beat on. boats against the current...
CarolR

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2006, 07:38:45 PM »

Ok then, I'm going to report back in a few weeks when I've done an awful lot of listening and have some opinons to share.

Right now I need sleep as off to Ireland for a few days tomorrow. Huzzah
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: