TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:39:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something controversial...  (Read 53328 times)
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2006, 10:37:10 PM »

Ok - I'll compromise

No problem with the singing - or the dancing - but if you're gonna eat those vegetarien curries, can you stay well downwind........................watch the flags for wind direction............

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2006, 10:40:46 PM »

Ok greglin, we'll agree to compromise. Let anyone who wants eat a veg curry eat it in Field 2  Grin

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
greglin (Gregg)
Folkcorp Guru

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2006, 10:46:10 PM »

Agreed - subject to wind direction, of course..............

Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2006, 10:57:26 PM »

And whatever you do do not dance.

We were asked to sit still during Fairports set a couple of years ago by a couple who had 'come to watch the music'  Huh Huh Huh.

We were way up the hill. We were not blocking their view. We were not making a noise. We were just jiggling about to the music.

Sadly we had not realised it was a seated concert venue.

Sandra

Bl**dy H*ll Sandra, next thing you know they'll be telling us not to dance down the front when groups like the Mahones are on  Shocked

And will that stop us  Grin Grin

Greglin - The Talkawhile dance is a set feature at Cropredy. All members welcome to join in. You will have to wait until MikeC and I have had our salsa though (I am not doing it with that Nuthouse again - he dropped me at Eliza Carthy's feet at Oxford during a particularly exuberant throw back!)

To me Cropredy would not be Cropredy without a bit of a dance. We do not harm anyone (intentionally) and have actually earned the odd round of applause (or at least the crowd around us have found it vaguely amusing). There are photos somewhere.

However, I do find loud talkers, shouters and faller overers very annoying, especially for the quieter acts.

Don't start me off on chairs at the front!!!!!!! Chairs have their place. Its beyond the sound tower.

Sandra

greglin (Gregg)
Folkcorp Guru

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2006, 11:01:22 PM »

[/quote]

Greglin - The Talkawhile dance is a set feature at Cropredy. All members welcome to join in. You will have to wait until MikeC and I have had our salsa though (I am not doing it with that Nuthouse again - he dropped me at Eliza Carthy's feet at Oxford during a particularly exuberant throw back!)

[/quote]

Sorry Sandra - Nuthouse sounds like my perfect partner. Provided he can guarantee to drop me right at Eliza Carthy's feet that is..............................

(My dancing is a perfect mongrel of Riverdance & the Ministry of Silly Walks......)

mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2006, 11:59:15 PM »

I'll tell you what greglin, I'll hold Nutts bottle of malt while you dance with him.  Grin

spekin of nutts where is he these days?

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2006, 01:17:19 AM »

However, I do find loud talkers, shouters and faller overers very annoying, especially for the quieter acts.

I don't mind what people do down the front, provided it is inaudible. But some loudmouths seem able to overwhelm the PA system.

I assume that the further back and closer to the edges people are, the more prepared they are for aural intrusions.

Don't start me off on chairs at the front!!!!!!! Chairs have their place. Its beyond the sound tower.

I'm fairly new to this (started in 2004), and I don't think I was aware of the sound tower convention when I first went. Should it be a rule? Would it be enforceable? By whom, and would they survive?

Perhaps a poll is in order, with TPTBs' attention drawn to the result?

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2006, 01:26:54 AM »

I don't mind what people do down the front, provided it is inaudible. But some loudmouths seem able to overwhelm the PA system.

I assume that the further back and closer to the edges people are, the more prepared they are for aural intrusions.

I'm fairly new to this (started in 2004), and I don't think I was aware of the sound tower convention when I first went. Should it be a rule? Would it be enforceable? By whom, and would they survive?

Perhaps a poll is in order, with TPTBs' attention drawn to the result?

hi adrian,
i think this was discussed a while ago, re chairs/dancing/soundtower, and the result was inconclusive.

from a respect point of view, i think anything behind the sound tower, so as not to purposefuly distort anyone's vision, would be acceptable.

i also think that, front 2 or 3 rows, should be out of bounds to chairs, so the die hards can dance with their heads in a speaker.

anything else is pot luck, free for all, take yer chances................

it'll be fine.......
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2006, 01:32:48 AM »

Ah, peer pressure. Put a chair "down front" and be danced on.

"Front-row Eddie" excepted of course.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2006, 01:51:20 AM »

of course darling! Grin

it'll be fine.......
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2006, 01:56:03 AM »

ps
try enforcing these rules introducing these guidelines at a motorhead gig.............HAHALOL

'sit down keep still be quiet dont swear................'
'keeep yer clothes on love............'

Wink

it'll be fine.......
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2006, 09:49:29 AM »

And whatever you do do not dance.

We were asked to sit still during Fairports set a couple of years ago by a couple who had 'come to watch the music' 

We were way up the hill. We were not blocking their view. We were not making a noise. We were just jiggling about to the music.

Sadly we had not realised it was a seated concert venue.

Sandra
Isn't this exactly what Cropredy is about? Dancing enjoying yourself Roll Eyes Last year we danced all through the rain and all through Fairports set- in fact we got everyone around us dancing too! Wink  They kind of had to really though as they'd come late on and plonked themselves right on top of us Grin Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
greglin (Gregg)
Folkcorp Guru

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2006, 03:48:07 PM »

Ok - so now we've established why it rains..............................no more dancing, look what happened to the Sioux. I thought the totem pole in front of the stage last year was a bit odd............

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2006, 03:56:54 PM »

No.. it only rains when RT comes... allegedly Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2006, 04:39:35 PM »

No.. it only rains when RT comes... allegedly Grin

What do you mean "allegedly"?  Wink  I reckon some of the wettest Cropredys I've been to have involved RT with a band - However, we seem to be okay if he's solo, with Danny, or guesting with Fairport.

In fact, to get back on topic (sort of), whenever the festival features RT & band it should be moved a drought stricken country - Or the SE of England at least.  Grin Wink

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2006, 05:24:57 PM »

What happened on the Saturday of last year Penguin.. It poured.. but I can't remember if RT was there...

There was one very hot year when Peggy/Simon joked that RT was being held prisoner under a bridge in London (or something) and would only be let out after the festival.. can anyone remind us of the proper story here.. I'm a bit hazy...

CRAFT  Grin Grin

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2006, 07:06:25 PM »

What happened on the Saturday of last year Penguin.. It poured.. but I can't remember if RT was there...

The rain coincided with RT's signing appearance at the music stall...

Make of that what you will.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2006, 07:33:56 PM »

There was one very hot year when Peggy/Simon joked that RT was being held prisoner under a bridge in London (or something) and would only be let out after the festival.. can anyone remind us of the proper story here.. I'm a bit hazy...

CRAFT  Grin Grin

I think it coincided with some bozo celebrity or other hanging in a glass box off Tower Bridge for a month. Not being a TV watcher I can't remember his name.
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2006, 07:36:18 PM »

David Blaine I think, I watched the live broadcast for all of about five minutes before realising absolutely nowt was happening - just some bloke sitting in a glass box staring into space.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2006, 07:44:04 PM »

Aha.. so THAT's what they wre referring to...  duh Embarrassed

Thank you... Grin

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: