TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:36:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something controversial...  (Read 53309 times)
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2006, 05:39:56 PM »

And whatever you do do not dance.

We were asked to sit still during Fairports set a couple of years ago by a couple who had 'come to watch the music'  Huh Huh Huh.

We were way up the hill. We were not blocking their view. We were not making a noise. We were just jiggling about to the music.

Sadly we had not realised it was a seated concert venue.

Sandra

Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2006, 05:40:58 PM »

Sandy. How very dare you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not been for a while
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2006, 05:56:45 PM »

And make sure you don't burn insence sticks.... oh no... 

We were once 'told' off by a couple sitting in front of us.. 

...even though they were blowing their smoke all over us and the young children that were with us... Angry

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2006, 06:12:11 PM »

Few nerves touched there eh?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??

Nobody wants to take the fun out of Cropredy - otherwise you're right, we may as well all stay at home. Think we're just suggesting a little consideration for others. Everybody has to live together for three days.

Terminal moaners should be identified by a large red inflatable finger floating just above them..............................but also no reason why stewards shouldn't be told if someone is creating a nuisance and spoiling the enjoyment of others.

So - can we dance with you this year, Sandy ??

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2006, 06:15:54 PM »

There is a point there though, I don't think it's out of order to suggest that people perhaps have some consideration for others. Of course that also applies to not being petty and moaning at someone for very little - as Sandy and Amy mention. But I would say that there some fair complaints though, things like:

Talking noisily down the front when people are there to listen - especially during the quieter/acoustic acts
Laying out vast blankets/groundsheets and then glaring when someone inadvertently steps on the corner
Putting up tall chairs down the front so anyone without a chair has the option of standing up or sitting on the grass and not seeing a thing

Most of it's just common sense to be honest, and people shouldn't really have to moan, people should just know better.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2006, 06:22:11 PM »

I last visited  cropredy 2 years ago , you remember the lousy sound system, Wadworths running out of beer. Well that was it for me , surrounded by loud bores, no view [bloody umbrellas, beach tents] and too many people camping out on fast groundsheets causing all sorts of problems.
My local rag gives the festival 2 pages each year, come and bring the kids etc. My heart sinks.
I know that it's a welcome payday for peggy and the boys but does it have to be so crowded.
Sorry to appear so negative but after 30 years of following fairport around the country I do feel strongly about Croppers and the fact that it's going so mainsteam.

Ah!  A like minded soul!

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2006, 06:25:01 PM »

i have been following this thread and resisted the urge to antagonise people with my opinions until now.
as for moving the location, well i love the village of cropredy and the canal etc, but i dont go to the festival BECAUSE its at cropredy, i go to cropredy BECAUSE the festival is there.
i would go regardless of location.

and as for just about all the other 'negative' comments, i think cropredy is the safest most civilised outdoor camping festie i've ever been to, with or without 'the other site' and with or without 'increased' security.
i wouldnt let my kids run free at any of the other big music festies for people to give them drugs and rob them (cos if you've ever been to glasto or reading, for example, you'll know that that does happen there as a matter of course)

and as for keeping still and keeping quiet - not a hope in hell.
i buy my ticket like everybody else and i want to enjoy myself.
until i see behavioural guidelines in the small print on the ticket, i'll dance and sing and sit or stand as i feel the need.
it's not the royal albert hall, its a field in the countryside.
thats the essence of a festival, its a whole.weekend, outdoor experience totally removed from seated indoor performances, where even i observe the required etiquette.

compared to a lot of other festivals, crop takes top prize in most categories, and it would be easy to lose sight of this if one has nothing else to compare it to........

Tiara

it'll be fine.......
jones the steam
ahh huhn da hurm, hurnn nna nuh fnurd

half an idiot

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2006, 06:31:54 PM »

maybe somthing could be set up so as the people who want to sit in silence could have the footage sent directly to their living rooms, where they can close the curtains and ignore the door for three days, only pausing their mausoleum respect to whisper grumpilly at their friends about the lack of atmosphere.. Undecided

sorry colin, what's my password again..?
( please update regularly to kllrndy@yahoo.co.uk )
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2006, 06:37:08 PM »

t, i'll dance and sing and sit or stand as i feel the need.
it's not the royal albert hall, its a field in the countryside.
 Tiara

Well - yes, but...............let's just say that you want to see / listen to Ashley H., and I don't. Just'cos I have a ticket it doesn't give me the absolute right to stand in front of you, shout, dance or otherwise unreasonably interfere with your view / ability to hear the band.

Those sort of absolutes don't help anybody - as I've said, it's just a questoin of behaving reasonably and responsibly - and I'm gonna drink a lot of beer, and sing, and dance, and stay up late, but not to the detriment of anyone else's enjoyment hopefully - and I will move if asked nicely. ( I'm really too good to be true...............)'Nuff said

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2006, 06:45:09 PM »

We were asked to sit still during Fairports set a couple of years ago by a couple who had 'come to watch the music'  Huh Huh Huh.

We were way up the hill. We were not blocking their view. We were not making a noise. We were just jiggling about to the music.

Sandra

so it was you, i thought as much Angry

The Dude abides
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2006, 06:47:40 PM »

having respect for people is, IMO, something that all human beings should practice, wherever they are, and i'm not on about jumping up and down on other people's toes just to p*ss them off...........
i rarely go to indoor 'sit down' do's because i prefer the freer atmosphere of a festy; thats my choice, and i dont condemn those who prefer the more regimented atmosphere of an indoor do, i think we should all recognise the difference between the two tho, and make our choices according to what we know will be, instead of what we'd like it to be....

and now i think i'm seriously off topic........

what is the capacity for the cropredy convention anyway?

it'll be fine.......
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2006, 06:49:56 PM »

Somewhere around 20k if I remember correctly...

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2006, 06:51:21 PM »

thaks goaty.
thats quite big really innit?

i mean for just one stage?

it'll be fine.......
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2006, 07:00:51 PM »

Yeah, don't think it's ever actually max'd out though.

And just to add my on topic tuppence worth, if I want to experience a performance in all it's sonic glory, I'll go see an indoor tour show.  Case in point, Nick Harper, blew me away at Cropredy, also blows me away in places like the Muso, where you could frequently hear a pin drop during quieter moments.

There is a sure fire way of sorting out the talking down the front thing while FC are playing though, just make it so loud that conversation is simply not viable  Grin

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2006, 07:37:52 PM »

Yeah, don't think it's ever actually max'd out though.

I think it did in 2002 the 35th Anniversary year.

Or so I heard anyway................... Cool

Jude

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2006, 07:55:54 PM »

97 as well, Jude....23,000 that year (officially)

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2006, 09:04:51 PM »

97 as well, Jude....23,000 that year (officially)
Well I knew it was one of them.......... Roll Eyes Cheesy

Jude

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2006, 10:02:23 PM »

Well as a Cropredy "newbie" (last year was my first) I can't really debate any of the above arguments cos I have no other Cropfests to compare it with

All I know is that I had a great time, enjoyed the music, enjoyed the "craic" and met some super people

And guess what folks, in 100 days from pretty much RIGHT NOW, it's all going to happen again. Huzzah!

OMG does that mean I've got to get drunk again and end up singin MOTL with you Shirl  Grin Fez Tiara

MikeC

P.S. Hope so  Cool Kiss

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2006, 10:10:15 PM »

I have to say that the Cropredy crowd does seem to get ever more intolerant and inconsiderate. Which isn't a happy combination.
You do seem to have to keep moving ever further forward to avoid the crowd being loader than the music.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2006, 10:10:57 PM »

Sandra

Bl**dy H*ll Sandra, next thing you know they'll be telling us not to dance down the front when groups like the Mahones are on  Shocked

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: