TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:29:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2018 - Turns and Tickets  (Read 319438 times)
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #620 on: March 16, 2018, 10:02:39 PM »

Brian Wilson is alright but probably more excited by the Barstewards and the return of the Travelling Band.  Fez

They're from Barnsley and are brilliant just wait for the whole field doing "Jump Arrannd".

I want to see the whole field singing along to "Lady in Greggs", that'll bring a tear to my eye  Cheesy

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #621 on: March 16, 2018, 10:56:38 PM »

I mentioned him to a younger colleague at work recently and they (28) had not heard of him and only vaguely knew the Beach Boys.

A Pointless contestant hadn't heard of the Rolling Stones yesterday.

I saw that, could hardly believe it!

The Beatles broke up 48 years ago.  Free broke up 45 years ago. Sandy Denny died 40 years ago. Rory Gallagher died 23 years ago.

In 1982, Rutger Hauer improvised the speech "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

We have to live with the knowledge that very few people remember any of this.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #622 on: March 16, 2018, 11:07:09 PM »

Brian Wilson is alright but probably more excited by the Barstewards and the return of the Travelling Band.  Fez

They're from Barnsley and are brilliant just wait for the whole field doing "Jump Arrannd".

Mick McCarthy is from Barnsley - and he’s not brilliant! Frustrated Ipswich Town supporter!
 Angry Grin

I’m with you there mate. Even gave up my Ipswich season ticket this year as I’d had enough of his dour negative tactics....sorry completely off topic but frustration knows no limits!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #623 on: March 16, 2018, 11:36:21 PM »

It's fairly hilarious that Brian Wilson (or his Tweetmeister) announced the complete lineup tonight, 3 days ahead of the Office.

[attachment deleted by admin]

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #624 on: March 17, 2018, 06:11:22 AM »

I mentioned him to a younger colleague at work recently and they (28) had not heard of him and only vaguely knew the Beach Boys.

A Pointless contestant hadn't heard of the Rolling Stones yesterday.

I saw that, could hardly believe it!

The Beatles broke up 48 years ago.  Free broke up 45 years ago. Sandy Denny died 40 years ago. Rory Gallagher died 23 years ago.

In 1982, Rutger Hauer improvised the speech "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

We have to live with the knowledge that very few people remember any of this.

True.
But on the other hand, when I was a kid, I was aware of the music from previous generations...the rock 'n roll era, the big band jazz and the crooners stuff before that, and even the blues and jazz that was outside of whatever the popular culture was then. Some of these things were from a similar time frame. How come I knew about this stuff ?
It only came from listening to Radio 1, pretty much constantly. I had no control over the TV, so I didn't watch BBC 4 style documentaries, if they even happened on our three channel TV service. I didn't have access to books and magazines like Mojo - they weren't around all that much either. There was far less information available, yet I knew more, largely because Radio 1 - there weren't hundreds of radio stations either - covered a wide range of music - and it wasn't even on a lot of the time.
The music did the talking, though.
When Levi's used 'old' music like 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine', and all the others, those songs always seemed to zoom up to the top of the charts. Those ads were pretty much when Radio 1 decided to concentrate on it's target young teenage audience, no old fogies like Quo or Cliff, thank you very much...some may say that's a good thing.....but when other old fogies sound tracked a jeans ad, those teenies seemed to like what they were hearing. Now they don't get to hear the old stuff, they have so much choice, where do they go ? To what is currently happening and the old stuff is fading away.
Anyway, mightily off topic, so I'll shut up.

Well I never did..
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #625 on: March 17, 2018, 07:17:20 AM »

Mick McCarthy is from Barnsley - and he’s not brilliant! Frustrated Ipswich Town supporter!
 Angry Grin

I’m with you there mate. Even gave up my Ipswich season ticket this year as I’d had enough of his dour negative tactics....sorry completely off topic but frustration knows no limits!

Hopefully, and I’m not holding my breath, this is his last soporific season with us! COYB!

No Left Turn Unstoned
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #626 on: March 17, 2018, 07:53:16 AM »

Bloody Football , it gets everywhere!!!

I expect to miss the New Forest Festival once again by leading Connah's Quay on another Europa League campaign in June/July.
Beat HJK Helsinki last year but went out on aggregate.

But as always I will miss the first League game of the new season by being at Cropredy.
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #627 on: March 17, 2018, 01:45:20 PM »

I usually miss the first Liverpool game too...anyway back on topic.

I'm neither going WoW or OMG about Brian Wilson, it is a name that you can see selling tickets though. Leaning more on the wow side.

All in all  the line up looks pretty good to me now as we've had sneak peak.  Particularly like the look of Saturday, tank tops on for the bar stewards who always make me laugh and jump arrand.  I remember them crowd surfing in a blow up dinghy and nicking someone's pint as they went. Afro Celts right up my street at festivals, Sam Kelly and Will Varley pretty lively too.

Plenty of others I've never heard of but like the sound of too....Cregan and Co, Police Dog Hogan if only for the name.  

Levellers one my all time favourite bands

Merry Hell at the Brasenose.

Happy.

and the stars look very different today
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #628 on: March 17, 2018, 06:53:18 PM »

Cregan and Co is Jim Cregan, one time member of Family who was  a member of Rod Stewarts solo band for a long time.
I believe they do a Rod heavy set but cant confirm this
this may or may not help  http://www.creganandco.com/

The Dude abides
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #629 on: March 18, 2018, 11:46:52 AM »

Angry Grin

At least you wont have to watch Joe Garner's ridiculous antics.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #630 on: March 18, 2018, 01:20:24 PM »

Cregan and Co is Jim Cregan, one time member of Family who was  a member of Rod Stewarts solo band for a long time.

His wikipedia page shows his long and illustrious musical career. Plus he's a really nice man, and he was mooching about at Cropredy a couple of years ago enjoying himself :-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Cregan

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Richard Eyre
n3wb

« Reply #631 on: March 18, 2018, 07:31:48 PM »

I believe he also played the guitar solo in Make me Smile (Come up and See Me)
Ian W

« Reply #632 on: March 19, 2018, 10:16:09 PM »

His wikipedia page shows his long and illustrious musical career. Plus he's a really nice man, and he was mooching about at Cropredy a couple of years ago enjoying himself :-)
https://en.wikipedia.horg/wiki/Jim_Cregan

Ah, so it was him.
Didn't want to look silly in case it wasn't. 🙂
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #633 on: March 20, 2018, 09:03:46 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.horg/wiki/Jim_Cregan

Ah, so it was him.
Didn't want to look silly in case it wasn't. ��
Did he also play the sax in Baker Street?  Wink

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #634 on: March 20, 2018, 09:19:54 AM »

... the only sax solo ever recorded by a former military airfield...

RAF Ravenscroft.

Aye theng yew!

And I'll probably see y'all on the Saturday, with a remade/remodelled version of the berry vodka.

Flobbadob!
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #635 on: March 20, 2018, 11:00:38 AM »

I’ve listened to bits of songs by the Bar- Stewards but unfortunately I’m not convinced. They just sound like an updated version of the Barron Knights or Mike Flowers to me...old hat, been done, move on. Am I alone in thinking this?  Embarrassed

Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #636 on: March 20, 2018, 12:13:45 PM »

I’ve listened to bits of songs by the Bar- Stewards but unfortunately I’m not convinced. They just sound like an updated version of the Barron Knights or Mike Flowers to me...old hat, been done, move on. Am I alone in thinking this?  Embarrassed

Nope I would never listen to them,  but early doors at a festival for a short set I think great fun. They're usually on one of the secondary stages when I've seen them, just wonder how they'll come across at Cropredy.  Barron Knights though.... think that's a bit harsh....and sadly I can remember them

and the stars look very different today
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #637 on: March 20, 2018, 03:39:24 PM »

I always thought the Barron Knights were quite clever in their take-offs. Well, in the early days, it got a little tired as time went on. I love Mike Flowers Pops tho! His version of Wonderwall is brilliant  Cool

I think they'll have everyone jumping around  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #638 on: March 20, 2018, 03:47:36 PM »

Digance, Sedge, Varley, Stewart - that's a lot of solo men with guitars for one afternoon. In fact apart from Rusby and Midnight Skyacer it is a very male dominated line up, no female performers at all on Thursday and Saturday apart from maybe a guest with FC.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #639 on: March 20, 2018, 04:01:01 PM »

I always thought the Barron Knights were quite clever in their take-offs. Well, in the early days, it got a little tired as time went on. I love Mike Flowers Pops tho! His version of Wonderwall is brilliant  Cool

I think they'll have everyone jumping around  Grin

Yeah I have a Bruce Springsteen song on a 7” single by Mike Flowers Pops somewhere! I hope you’re right about the Bar-Stewards so I’ll wait in anticipation to jump around  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: