TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:40:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2018 - Turns and Tickets  (Read 319441 times)
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2017, 08:27:26 PM »

Really hoping to get back next year, it's been a while  Grin

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2017, 08:37:27 PM »

Never been to Cropredy (which given my recent posting history will probably get this post deleted as well), but I don't really understand the Fish / Marillion connection wouldn't have thought it a natural fit?

Now I may not be getting what you really mean but Fish was the lead singer of Marillion for the first 4 albums... namely Script for a Jesters Tear, Fugazi, Childhoods End and Clutching at Straws

Born to Run (but not very fast)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2017, 09:11:13 PM »

I must admit I never enjoyed Marillion, with or without the piscean person. I get that Fish "gets" Cropredy, but his music leaves me unmoved. Same with Al Stewart and also Levellers - just not to my taste. I can't see me going next year, certainly not for 3 days - maybe just the Saturday, but that'd be more to meet up with TAWers than for the artists (depending who is on).

Flobbadob!
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2017, 10:20:22 PM »

I do think it's very kind of Marillion to always allow Fairport to headline Saturday night at the Marillion reunion festival.
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2017, 07:55:22 AM »

Last year Fish played the whole Misplaced album and he has been touring Clutching so I dearly hope hell do it in its entirety at Cropredy 2018.

it'll be fine.......
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2017, 09:07:43 AM »

Hope so, haven’t seen you for ages!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2017, 09:30:13 AM »

Levellers, Al Stewart and Sam Kelly (seeing him tomorrow) all great. Fish = disaster or snoozetime.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2017, 09:34:53 AM »

Last year Fish played the whole Misplaced album and he has been touring Clutching so I dearly hope hell do it in its entirety at Cropredy 2018.

I seem to remember that he finished too early and then did a further 20 minutes.
I didn't know a lot about his material, but I was down the front and found the first section no more than interesting. However in added time he was exceptional. I've no idea what the material was, but that seemed to be when he 'got' Cropredy, not just his fans.

As a side note I did once meet him in a Manchester hotel. Top bloke.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2017, 09:55:35 AM »

Fish also sang Solo with FC, which he recorded on an album of his.  In the sleeve notes he wrote this:

“My favourite track on Mirror was Solo. I'd heard it first of all on a long drive North to Fochabers in Morayshire to begin my job as forestry worker at Speymouth Forest. … It was Alan Freeman's last show on Radio One and he was playing all his favourite sessions one of which was Sandy Denny's. If I was to chose my all time favourite song then this would probably be it.

“It's the lyric I would have loved to have written myself and when we approached the song I was nervous because for a male voice to deal with a performance written for a female voice is extremely difficult. This is one of the performances in the studio I'm most pround of. The end result had me literally in tears during the playback and I still perform the song live occasionally sometimes with the same results. It was thought of for inclusion on the Vigil album and had to wait until 92 till it was realised.”

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2017, 10:11:45 AM »

I seem to remember that he finished too early and then did a further 20 minutes.
I didn't know a lot about his material, but I was down the front and found the first section no more than interesting. However in added time he was exceptional. I've no idea what the material was, but that seemed to be when he 'got' Cropredy, not just his fans.

As a side note I did once meet him in a Manchester hotel. Top bloke.

Ah!!! My new best friend Derek!!! I spent 15 mins talking to him , at the bar the next day, about the sciatica that had hit him half way through his set! Rock n roll!
I did explain that I had listened to the second half of his set lying down in the first aid tent, which , he felt, was the best place to listen to it from!!!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2017, 12:31:10 PM »

I've said this on fb yesterday but it really does all come round again, and for some turns it seems to come round every couple of years.
     I said last year would probably be my last and yesterdays reveal did absolutely nothing to change my mind.
     Still plenty of time to get some exciting turns, I loved Fish last time he was on, but i'm not really enthused. So far it looks like most of the recent non5 year anniversary Cropredies.

The Dude abides
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2017, 03:38:34 PM »

I've said this on fb yesterday but it really does all come round again, and for some turns it seems to come round every couple of years.
     I said last year would probably be my last and yesterdays reveal did absolutely nothing to change my mind.
     Still plenty of time to get some exciting turns, I loved Fish last time he was on, but i'm not really enthused. So far it looks like most of the recent non5 year anniversary Cropredies.

I'm with the dishonourable member for the north, not very inspiring at all. I thought I would give it a miss this year and that's still the plan.
and the fact that Digance is back, I thought he was gone for good. ......I'll go and have a lie down till the red mist passes.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2017, 04:30:54 PM »

I'm with the dishonourable member for the north, not very inspiring at all. I thought I would give it a miss this year and that's still the plan.
and the fact that Digance is back, I thought he was gone for good. ......I'll go and have a lie down till the red mist passes.

Is it only me who’s happy with the line-up so far then? Levellers, Al Stewart, Sam Kelly...what’s not to like?

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2017, 04:42:54 PM »

No, there are others of us too, Chris.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2017, 04:49:37 PM »

Is it only me who’s happy with the line-up so far then? Levellers, Al Stewart, Sam Kelly...what’s not to like?

Nope, you are not alone.

I like, and have seen, everyone on the bill, however, I'm just a fickle Cropredy goer these days though so I'm awaiting the Thursday headliner before committing!

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2017, 05:28:42 PM »

Nope, you are not alone.

I like, and have seen, everyone on the bill, however, I'm just a fickle Cropredy goer these days though so I'm awaiting the Thursday headliner before committing!

Bananarama are touring!
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2017, 05:30:30 PM »

Nope, you are not alone.

Bananarama are touring!

I'd have preferred Badly Drawn Boy, Chas & Dave, Joan Armatrading  but I guess this will do.

Bananarama - good shout Wink

and the stars look very different today
Wandering Steve

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2017, 06:00:58 PM »

Ralph mctell has just done a collaboration with Annie Lennox who is playing live for the first time in ten years in March next year.....
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2017, 06:04:28 PM »

A wild guess but I reckon Travelling Band are going to be added.

No Left Turn Unstoned
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2017, 06:05:19 PM »

Hope so, haven’t seen you for ages!

Do I owe you a pint?  Grin

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39   Go Up