TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:54:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1784251 times)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #4040 on: April 25, 2024, 09:16:20 PM »

That is sad; In Search of the Lost Chord was the 2nd LP I bought with my own money, and I loved the Mellotron sound on that album... still do!

The 1st LP I bought for myself was The Who Sell Out; until then, it was singles and the odd EP, while LPs (mainly Beatles) were birthday or Christmas gifts from my aunt.  Incidentally, she and I later had a running joke whereby she'd ask me which LP I'd like, and I'd choose one with the most outrageous title so she (a single lady then in her 40s) would have to go into a record shop and ask for it.  This reached its peak when I requested Pink Floyd's "Ummagumma"..... of course, I was unaware at that time that the LP title referred - apparently/allegedly - to a particular, er, "flavour" of oral sex!   Shocked

Flobbadob!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #4041 on: April 25, 2024, 11:51:33 PM »

I was unaware at that time that the LP title referred - apparently/allegedly - to a particular, er, "flavour" of oral sex!   Shocked

Perhaps not quite that. The album's title supposedly comes from Cambridge slang for sex, commonly used by Pink Floyd friend and occasional roadie, Iain "Emo" Moore, who would say, "I'm going back to the house for some ummagumma". According to Moore, he made up the term himself. - Wikipedia

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #4042 on: April 26, 2024, 12:03:41 AM »

Loved Mike Pinder, the mellotron man.

I never got to see him perform with or without the Moodies. Mrs. J From A attended a 1971 classic lineup show in Dallas, which she found boring(!!!!!). We both got to meet the delightful Denny Laine in Dallas a few years back. I also got to see the '80s lineup (Hayward/Lodge/Thomas/Edge/Moraz) twice, and finally the Hayward/Lodge/Edge show on the last tour.

Since you gotta go, oh you'd better go now.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #4043 on: April 26, 2024, 07:54:22 AM »

That is sad; In Search of the Lost Chord was the 2nd LP I bought with my own money, and I loved the Mellotron sound on that album... still do!

The 1st LP I bought for myself was The Who Sell Out; until then, it was singles and the odd EP, while LPs (mainly Beatles) were birthday or Christmas gifts from my aunt.  Incidentally, she and I later had a running joke whereby she'd ask me which LP I'd like, and I'd choose one with the most outrageous title so she (a single lady then in her 40s) would have to go into a record shop and ask for it.  This reached its peak when I requested Pink Floyd's "Ummagumma"..... of course, I was unaware at that time that the LP title referred - apparently/allegedly - to a particular, er, "flavour" of oral sex!   Shocked

Not my first, but close to it. Preceded by The Small Faces and Surrealistic Pillow.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #4044 on: April 26, 2024, 06:05:44 PM »

I was unaware at that time that the LP title referred - apparently/allegedly - to a particular, er, "flavour" of oral sex!   Shocked

Perhaps not quite that. The album's title supposedly comes from Cambridge slang for sex, commonly used by Pink Floyd friend and occasional roadie, Iain "Emo" Moore, who would say, "I'm going back to the house for some ummagumma". According to Moore, he made up the term himself. - Wikipedia

I sit corrected!  Wink

Flobbadob!
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #4045 on: April 29, 2024, 10:40:28 AM »

Loved Mike Pinder, the mellotron man.

I never got to see him perform with or without the Moodies. Mrs. J From A attended a 1971 classic lineup show in Dallas, which she found boring(!!!!!). We both got to meet the delightful Denny Laine in Dallas a few years back. I also got to see the '80s lineup (Hayward/Lodge/Thomas/Edge/Moraz) twice, and finally the Hayward/Lodge/Edge show on the last tour.

Since you gotta go, oh you'd better go now.

Me neither. The closest I got was just before they took their mid 70s break. They were doing a 1973 tour and I was desperate to get a ticket to the Birmingham show. But after queuing for a long time, we were told that the tickets were sold out. I saw the Moodies several times after he left, but would have loved to have seen that classic line up just once.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #4046 on: April 29, 2024, 10:30:01 PM »

Robin George, guitarist, singer, songwriter, producer and, so the ladies tell me, quite a good looking boy back in the day.

He never really hit the big time, but he had a popular album in 1985 with Dangerous Music and the single Heartline.

He was local to me, and I used to see him out and about, often riding his bicycle, which wasn't very rock starish.

He played guitar in a temporary version of Asia which featured Carl Palmer, John Wetton, Phil Manzenera, and Don Airey, for some charity shows.

Most recently he's worked with members of Fuzzbox.

(He also played gigs at the same pub as me and my band in the mid 90's but I don't suppose he had that in his C.V)

R.I.P Robin, mate, I'll see you on the other side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_EsG5xnHKM

Well I never did..
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #4047 on: April 29, 2024, 10:52:28 PM »

I remember him! Didn’t he play a BC Rich?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4048 on: April 29, 2024, 11:32:09 PM »

I remember him! Didn’t he play a BC Rich?

He did, amongst others.
My main bass is a BC Rich, but his were modded for him, by somebody whose name I forget .

Well I never did..
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #4049 on: April 30, 2024, 08:41:15 AM »

Robin George, guitarist, singer, songwriter, producer and, so the ladies tell me, quite a good looking boy back in the day.

He never really hit the big time, but he had a popular album in 1985 with Dangerous Music and the single Heartline.

He was local to me, and I used to see him out and about, often riding his bicycle, which wasn't very rock starish.

He played guitar in a temporary version of Asia which featured Carl Palmer, John Wetton, Phil Manzenera, and Don Airey, for some charity shows.

(He also played gigs at the same pub as me and my band in the mid 90's but I don't suppose he had that in his C.V)

I played Dangerous Music quite a lot at the time.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4050 on: April 30, 2024, 09:05:44 AM »

I played Dangerous Music quite a lot at the time.

I thought it was a good start.
I never really spoke to him about why things didn't go further.
He deserved it.
I always got the impression that he didn't want to be a star, he wanted to be a musician.
He was good at that.

Well I never did..
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #4051 on: Yesterday at 10:34:06 PM »

Duane Eddy, 86.

**** cancer.

* Duane Eddy.jpg (342.25 KB, 1607x2048 - viewed 14 times.)

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4052 on: Yesterday at 10:46:40 PM »

Cry

The first album I ever bought was a Duane Eddy album.

The first tune I ever picked out on a guitar was Rebel Rouser.

It was his twangy sound, oddly, that led me towards playing bass.

R.I.P Duane.

Well I never did..
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: