TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:49:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Stand ins  (Read 9981 times)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« on: October 12, 2022, 01:29:53 PM »

I have just read that some stage in the late 80s when FC were supporting Tull Doane Perry took over drum duties from DM - I was unaware of that and it got me thinking how many musicians have depped for Fairport without ever being recognised fully as a band member?

Paul Warren I guess stood in again on the drums for a few gigs in the 70s, Vo Fletcher stood in for Peggy as I think Matt Pegg has, Chris L depped for Ric prior to joining the band but any others? Roger Hill, Bob Brady, Roger Burridge count as full band members of course.

Cheers,

DW
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 02:06:59 PM »

I have just read that some stage in the late 80s when FC were supporting Tull Doane Perry took over drum duties from DM - I was unaware of that and it got me thinking how many musicians have depped for Fairport without ever being recognised fully as a band member?

Paul Warren I guess stood in again on the drums for a few gigs in the 70s, Vo Fletcher stood in for Peggy as I think Matt Pegg has, Chris L depped for Ric prior to joining the band but any others? Roger Hill, Bob Brady, Roger Burridge count as full band members of course.

Cheers,

DW

I've not heard of that...can you expand on where and when?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 03:01:01 PM »

Cheers,

DW

Small section from a post on Peggs facebook page where Doane remembers Maart:

Sharing the stage with you in Jethro Tull and on the US tour I did with Fairport in support of Tull, (subbing for DM), was initially a slightly scary prospect, as you and Peggy cunningly maneuvered me into believing that playing Fairport music was "a dawdle” … as you quaintly put it. I obviously didn't understand that colloquialism properly. I should have more correctly interpreted that as meaning extremely difficult and I’ll get no rehearsal whatsoever! This seemed to be causing no one in the Fairports any stress, except for me.

DW

https://www.facebook.com/peggyonthebass
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 03:05:53 PM »

Cheers,

DW

Sharing the stage with you in Jethro Tull and on the US tour I did with Fairport in support of Tull, (subbing for DM), was initially a slightly scary prospect, as you and Peggy cunningly maneuvered me into believing that playing Fairport music was "a dawdle” … as you quaintly put it. I obviously didn't understand that colloquialism properly. I should have more correctly interpreted that as meaning extremely difficult and I’ll get no rehearsal whatsoever! This seemed to be causing no one in the Fairports any stress, except for me.

DW

Oh right, so that must have been when FC opened, then Simon and Ric went off/Ian and Martin came on and they morphed into Tull?  I don't know why, I always thought DM had done those shows....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 03:16:20 PM »

I saw Maart stand in for Chris at an open air free gig in Chipping Norton one Bank Holiday Monday.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 05:24:49 PM »

Vikki Clayton stood in for Simon (sort of) at a gig in Worthing. Simon had flu and had lost his voice. He sat throughout the gig playing guitar but Vikki handled all of the vocals, mostly of Sandy era material.

I have a vague memory of either PJ Wright or Ken Nicol standing in for Simon on one occasion too but I may be imagining it.
David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 05:38:45 PM »

But why aren't Doane or Vo recognised as band members anywhere as they both played more than once?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 06:45:02 PM »

I saw Maart stand in for Chris at an open air free gig in Chipping Norton one Bank Holiday Monday.

I think there's a recording of that somewhere...

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 06:46:06 PM »

But why aren't Doane or Vo recognised as band members anywhere as they both played more than once?

Um, because they were stand-ins and weren't band members?  Is that hard to understand - doesn't seem so to me...?

David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 06:50:53 PM »

But Paul Warren is considered a member in many timelines

DW
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2022, 06:58:24 PM »

DW

I take your point...Personally, I think they're wrong - but I guess there is a grey area...you know David Rea never played live, but did record etc etc.  To my mind, Paul was always a stand in.

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2022, 08:22:33 PM »

Cheers,

DW

DW

Oh right, so that must have been when FC opened, then Simon and Ric went off/Ian and Martin came on and they morphed into Tull?  I don't know why, I always thought DM had done those shows....

Hmm...that is a puzzler to me. It was on that supporting tour in 1987 that I saw both bands for the first time (and first time ever hearing of Fairport). My recollection is almost certainly of it being DM at the gig I saw in Worcester, Massachusetts. I still have the program from that show, and there are 23 North American dates shown, which with days off and travel days probably works out to about what-35 days on tour give or take? Perhaps DM had other commitments on the second half of the tour (more West Coast dates)? In that program the Nicol, Pegg, Mattacks, Sanders, Allcock lineup is shown as support act. The morphing off was not quite as you say however. First I do remember a break between acts, where Peggy changed from a rather 'folky' jumper into a more flashy outfit lol, and Tull was Ian, Peggy, Martin Barre, Doane, and Don Airey on keyboards for that tour. So this was before Maart joined. Fairport did re-emerge for the song Budapest, and I definitely remember Ric on violin, Simon and Maart on additional guitars, and I am almost certain that DM was on tambourine, noticeable because he is rather short (speaking as a short person myself!) in comparision with Doane who is rather tall I believe. Perhaps I have the DM part muddled up, but in my head for seeing them both for the first time, it was only Peggy who had played full sets with both bands

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2022, 10:05:37 PM »

I take your point...Personally, I think they're wrong - but I guess there is a grey area...you know David Rea never played live, but did record etc etc.  To my mind, Paul was always a stand in.

The difference is - were they asked to join the band? David was (at least, I think he was). Paul wasn't. He was asked to fill in.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2022, 11:29:05 PM »

Bless the internet, for here is a mostly inaudible, but full concert from 1987. At about the 1 hour 10 minute point, I can detect Peggy, Ric, Maart on accordion, Simon, Ian, Martin B, and DM sitting with a tambourine or some percussion instrument, while someone (Doane almost certainly) is on the kit

http:// https://youtu.be/5m2ocEC0evA

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2022, 08:03:34 AM »

The difference is - were they asked to join the band? David was (at least, I think he was). Paul wasn't. He was asked to fill in.

Jules

Yep, quite...

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2022, 08:24:39 AM »

Rob's mention of Maart on accordion reminded me of seeing FC at an Arts Centre in Swindon... They were about to play "The Deserter", with Maart on accordeon, but for some reason, they repeatedly fluffed the intro.

They decided they should move on to the next song/tune, at which point Maart started putting the accordeon back into its case, while performing a ventriloquist routine: "get in the box" - "I don't want to" etc etc which I think was based on a then current routine by a British TV "vent" act - possibly Ray Allen?

I'd love to see/hear it again...

Flobbadob!
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2022, 09:49:12 AM »

Vikki Clayton stood in for Simon (sort of) at a gig in Worthing. Simon had flu and had lost his voice. He sat throughout the gig playing guitar but Vikki handled all of the vocals, mostly of Sandy era material.

I have a vague memory of either PJ Wright or Ken Nicol standing in for Simon on one occasion too but I may be imagining it.

I remember that gig, Worthing 2002. Simon soldiered on through a flu bug, playing guitar seated but unable to sing. Chris & Peggy shared the vocals for the main set - mostly the songs from XXXV which didn't feature Simon as the main vocalist. Vikki was the support on that tour, so on this occasion she extended her duties for the encore which included a wonderful "straight 1969 Liege & Lief style" version of Matty Groves as opposed to the cod-reggae style they favoured at the time. They played Royal Seleccion #13 to fill out the set, and Ric remarked that it was the fastest he'd ever played that set of tunes. The evening finished with Vikki singing WKWTTG, and this was one of the two (I think) occasions I've seen the band not finish with MOTL.
An interesting gig. Simon proceeded to return to full strength, then onwards the following week to Southsea, followed by Basingstoke, which were memorable in their own ways...
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2022, 09:54:31 AM »

I remember that gig, Worthing 2002. Simon soldiered on through a flu bug, playing guitar seated but unable to sing. Chris & Peggy shared the vocals for the main set - mostly the songs from XXXV which didn't feature Simon as the main vocalist. Vikki was the support on that tour, so on this occasion she extended her duties for the encore which included a wonderful "straight 1969 Liege & Lief style" version of Matty Groves as opposed to the cod-reggae style they favoured at the time. They played Royal Seleccion #13 to fill out the set, and Ric remarked that it was the fastest he'd ever played that set of tunes. The evening finished with Vikki singing WKWTTG, and this was one of the two (I think) occasions I've seen the band not finish with MOTL.
An interesting gig. Simon proceeded to return to full strength, then onwards the following week to Southsea, followed by Basingstoke, which were memorable in their own ways...

That's really intriguing as I know I've seen Fairport not play MotL as well...once I think at the Marlowe '93-95ish (there was a slightly weird atmosphere and someone or more than one wanted to get off stage pronto) and another time I can't quite put my finger on, but might be one of the Big Band shows?  I've had a stand up row with someone that have told me Fairport never do a gig without MotL but we know it ain't so...  Wink Smiley

steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2022, 11:18:10 AM »

, Vo Fletcher stood in for Peggy as I think Matt Pegg has

Cheers,

DW
rather

Vo has depped  on more than one occasion, and Matt took on a whole tour following Peggy's argument with a diswasher.....
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2022, 12:43:58 PM »

I've had a stand up row with someone that have told me Fairport never do a gig without MotL but we know it ain't so...  Wink Smiley

And another love affair bit the dust!   Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: