TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:35:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC TV pulls plug on Sandy Denny feature  (Read 15676 times)
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 02:12:11 PM »

What we need is a clever 'hook', I'd live with a dodgy headline if it meant the show got a fair airing. Someone around here must have some connections....
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 02:15:36 PM »

I love Sandy Denny,she is my favourite by a country mile and i will be writing to the BBC to complain,they always answer by the way.

However,there is no need to be nasty towards Marianne Faithfull over it,she is well worthy of a place in this type of thing as far as i am concerned.
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 02:16:42 PM »

[/quote]
Er....at least 17 studio albums over 43 years[Just checked Wiki...I think its 19 or 20] "Pretty Limited"?  Hmmmm, don't think so........ Wink

I can understand the indignation about this, and I'd love to see the documentary made too, but surely one can understand the reasoning behind it...the producers just want their programmes to be watched by the largest audiences imaginable.  It's the Amy Wineglass one that amuses me.  

[/quote]

I just knew that remark would be pounced upon... Tongue

I didn't bother to "Google" Ms Faithfull's musical output, because even it was enough to fill the Albert Hall, it would be of no interest to me.

I have no idea how many albums Sandy produced either - but I know that I prefer quality over quantity.

(Grrrr! I hate it when I don't do the quote thing properly)

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 03:09:03 PM »

I make no secret of the fact that I am a huge Denny fan, but the pulling of her programme by the Beeb obviously has to take into account many factors. Marianne Faithfull is still alive, there is an abundance of footage of her, she has been an Icon for many years now and has an extensive back catalogue of material. The sales of her music obviously far outweighs Sandy's sales and no one can deny her worldwide fame, which would therefore attract viewers . . . and isn't that what it's all about for television programme makers. I find an almost similar parallel in the Transatlantic Sessions whereby regulars Emmylou Harris, Mary Black, Cara Dillon constantly appear singing songs. Yet the extremely talented duo Chris While and Julie Matthews are overlooked, even though they are equally as talented as those people mentioned. I doubt as well, that a Denny documentary would or even could give a true account of her time with us, after all Trevor Lucas has since passed away. Take heart in the fact that we don't need a programme to remember her truly wonderful ability as a singer and performer, as her music still lives on.
Carolyn   Undecided

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Andy B
Playing in the Sandbox

Loc: London

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »

Hi All,

I organized the Sandy Denny tribute at the southbank in December, so obviously I was very upset when the BBC told me they were dropping Sandy from the programme; I must stress however that the team actually making the programme did not want to drop her, understanding her importance, but they were overruled by the powers that be…
However, as Philip states, there is surely room for a Sandy documentary on BBC 4 and hopefully this will happen- especially since the programme makers had already filmed a considerable part of the Sandy segment.

I'm surprised at the response to Marianne Faithfull on here- whilst Sandy is undoubtedly the best british female singer songwriter, I in no way feel it inappropriate for Marianne to be showcased- indeed she should be. It has been to long that Marianne's early history has overshadowed her musical output which has been remarkably consistent over a forty year period; particularly since her re-emergence in the late 70's. Whilst I understand that her vocal style is not to everyones taste, the quality in her work is not in doubt: Marianne has emerged as one of this countries great lyricists, and furthermore her albums have almost always been met with universal acclaim in the music press. Indeed as an example, her last album 'Before the poison' garnered the following praise:

Q mag The worthiest addition yet to her legendary status.

NME Something very much like a classic

MOJO A classic work...together [her collaborators] have created a near perfect, and wonderfully paced, stage for the singer

Uncut Probably the most potent album she's made since Broken English.

The Telegraph Faithfull's voice and wistful lyrics make an indelible mark on this haunting collection.

These reviews are quite unusual for an artist so far into their career. Also Marianne has recorded a number of folk songs since her early 60's recordings, working with The Chieftans, Van Morrison and even covering Sandy's Crazy Lady Blues. On her forthcoming album, she also records a nice version of Flandycke Shore with the McGarrigles. An artist like Marianne with 23 albums over such a long career is certainly worthy of mention- it is surely Winehouse with only two (admittedly good albums) that is most unworthy of inclusion, although no doubt she will feature prominently in the publicity, and so justify her inclusion after such a short career.

best

Andrew
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009, 09:12:05 PM »

I was not aware of this series but.....

SANDY.....NOT FAMOUS ENOUGH Huh Huh

Angry

Imponderable Joy
leahdon (Donna)
Secret Fez Admirer

Loc: Gloucestershire

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2009, 09:49:07 PM »

In fairness, I can see their point.  Yes, we all know about Sandy, as we're folkies!

Most people haven't heard of her, and those that have will probably say something along the lines of "Wasn't she the girl on the Led Zepp song"? Yes, that was an amazing accolade for her (i.e. the only (female?) collaborator ever with LZ, but unfortunately, for most people, that's it.

They aren't making this series for folkies but for the general public.

Sad

Cheers,

Donna
xx
Steve with the black dog
Your fox is male
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: The rainy Lake District

So little time, so much to do

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2009, 10:49:37 PM »

In fairness, I can see their point.  Yes, we all know about Sandy, as we're folkies!

Most people haven't heard of her, and those that have will probably say something along the lines of "Wasn't she the girl on the Led Zepp song"? Yes, that was an amazing accolade for her (i.e. the only (female?) collaborator ever with LZ, but unfortunately, for most people, that's it.

They aren't making this series for folkies but for the general public.

Sad

But before I'd heard of Sandy, I'd never heard of Sandy, but I am pretty glad that I did hear of her.

Whatever happened to public service TV Angry Angry

A simple life, voluntarily chosen, can be a source of strength.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2009, 11:12:46 PM »

I believe John Birt assassinated it about twenty years ago

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 02:01:09 AM »

Oh do grow up folks, these kind of decisions are made all the time. The disrespect shown to Sandy is easily equalled by some of the comments here about the artists who will be featured.

WIth a bit of luck and a fair wind, the material will be used at a later date.  Contacting BBC4 and asking who might make such a one-off and offering co-operation might not go amiss. Especially if Swarb and Simon could take part (if, indeed, they haven't already).

Cynically, what is needed is an ad campaign featuring her music. After all, Nick Drake got his documentary after such a "break". So start writing to watch manufacturers!  Shocked

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
frogcrutches
Pond Life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Pontypridd, South Wales.

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 02:04:33 AM »

Oh do grow up folks, these kind of decisions are made all the time. The disrespect shown to Sandy is easily equalled by some of the comments here about the artists who will be featured.

WIth a bit of luck and a fair wind, the material will be used at a later date.  Contacting BBC4 and asking who might make such a one-off and offering co-operation might not go amiss. Especially if Swarb and Simon could take part (if, indeed, they haven't already).

Cynically, what is needed is an ad campaign featuring her music. After all, Nick Drake got his documentary after such a "break".

If I grow up, I'll comment.
Don't hold your breath though. Roll Eyes

Methinks thou art laden with stools.
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 10:30:31 AM »

I am sure one day there will be a quality Sandy documentary. Liege & Lief continues to be applauded daily, plus her solo albums are selling better than ever. I can't really think of anyone else whose music dates so little as time goes by.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: